Best out of the box production gun

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
The Glock is a very reliable firearm and does very well with many people, but I'm sure most of you all know my vote goes for the M&P pro 5"
It comes stock with the black rear sight and front FO sights, so unless you're just wanting a thinner front post, you don't need to change them out.
Reliability is great, the mags drop freely, and the ergonomics are much better than the Brick/glock (for me at least).
The trigger sucks in stock form, but so does the glock so either option there would need some work.

Going straight from the gun shop to the match, I would have to go M&P.
Just quoting here so I don't have to type all the same **** out, because this is EXACTLY what I was gonna type. Only thing I'd add is the mag release is easier to hit on the M&P.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Mitch Gibson said:
Best out of box is Springfield XDm 5.25 9mm. Has everything needed to start shooting. Good sights and trigger. Maybe could use some trigger work, but out of box it is not a handicap. With a shitty holster and mag pouches included, you can buy it and go shoot a match.

Gun only, I think CZ Custom guns that they sell through distributors are better. You can get a raced up CZ for $800-1800, depending on options, and usually with 3-4 mags included.
Forgot about the XDm. That was my first real competition pistol once I realized the FNP9 wasn't gonna get me any chicks.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Matt Rigsby said:
Yeah, I can't find it in myself to spend over $1k for a gun that will be limited on mods and can't go past 10 rounds.
almost every Glock or M&P in competitive shooting has $700+ in it, most much more, and almost none of it helps resale value in the slightest

So for $100 more you can get a value-stable ****ing raging all-steel shooting machine that covers up fundamental skill issues. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Squid

Well-Known Fanatic
Between glock, m&p and xdm I'm have to vote xdm. I personally can reach the mag release easier and with more consistency. The slide takedown lever provides a super nice reference point for the support hand. And I think the grip profile provides an easier transition to a 1911 or 2011 platform leaving a more consistent index.

I think the shadow is an awsome pistol and probably superior to the plastic guns if you are willing to invest yourself into a double single gun. I'd sure like one.

All that said I run the M&P 90% of the time just cuz its the cool thing to do.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
I think 90% of european prod shooters shoot CZ SP-01 Shadow, I'm guessing for a reason. Of all production guns I've tried I would go CZ.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Mitch Gibson said:
So for $100 more you can get a value-stable ****ing raging all-steel shooting machine that covers up fundamental skill issues. HAHAHAHAHAHA
Plus all those same parts you put into the glock or m&p to get it to that $700 mark you mentioned. Being a CZ though, those parts are a little more expensive and can be harder to find if your 3 normal resources for parts happen to be out.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
You don't have to add any parts. You just buy one already suped up for $800 or more, depending on options. Even at $800 you have good sights, a trigger job with better parts, new springs, that's all you need. CZ Custom is making guns ready to play and selling them through certain online retailers as well as their own website. It is a smart move, but would be a lot smarter if anyone knew about it.

http://oakhillguns.com/pistol/cz-usa/cz-75-shadow-9mm-custom-shop-sa-da-91705.html

http://oakhillguns.com/pistol/cz-usa/cz-75-sp-01-shadow-9mm-custom.html

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Mitch Gibson said:
You don't have to add any parts. You just buy one already suped up for $800 or more, depending on options. Even at $800 you have good sights, a trigger job with better parts, new springs, that's all you need. CZ Custom is making guns ready to play and selling them through certain online retailers as well as their own website. It is a smart move, but would be a lot smarter if anyone knew about it.

http://oakhillguns.com/pistol/cz-usa/cz-75-shadow-9mm-custom-shop-sa-da-91705.html

That SP01 Shadow kinda makes me want to go back to CZ. I sold my stock SP01in order to get a G34 a few years ago when I first started shooting pistols because glock is so cheap to accessorize and nearly impossible to break. But I like the ergonomics on the CZ sooo much better, and $800 for that much upgraded gun is a deal.

9x45

Fanatic
Glock 17/34. What other gun will run to over 300,000 rounds and beyond. You get used to the trigger after about 50,000 rounds. How does Vogel do that magic with a Glock? After all, he started with an STI.

By the way, MPs are starting to have issues with barrel life and extractors. I think Julie went thru like 5 of them last year.

Mitch Gibson said:

Are the mags that are listed competition ready, or do you need different mags?

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
I started with an XDM 5.25......it ate my hands up...........so I switched to a M&P Pro..........didn't like the way it fit my hands and I just couldn't get used to it...............ended up with the Gen 4 Glock 34.....which had been sitting in my safe the whole time I was shooting these others--ended up loving the Glock--so Glock is my vote............. Personally we all know it's not a one size fits all kind of world especially with competition guns. Any of these 3 examples are fine guns and will run well! It all comes down to personal preference.
JM2C

I go with SIG Sauer P226 TACOPS 9mm for production, mainly because I have one and its trigger is sweet with short reset. And I can also do limited and let the 20 round magazines be full up. We shall see how it goes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T807A using Tapatalk

Latest posts