BEST CHOICE...TISAS or ROCK ISLAND 1911A1 MIL SPEC.

BIGDAVE101

Well-Known Fanatic
Which economy mil spec pistol is most servicable once broken in, for home or self defence? Not purchasing to add on or make custom, just use as is, maybe change grips only. BEST CHOICE: ROCK ISLAND OR TISAS? AND WHY?

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Tough choice.. I own a few RIAs, no Tisas.. only 'cause of "timing" I really don't need ( or even want) another 1911 :eek:
Don't shoot those I have enough as it is. here's my thoughts on the subject of RIA vs Tisas:
The RIAs were the 1st cnc-machined, made in the Philippines 1911's to come on the market..so tried one & it was good enough that I bought my 1st Officer sized 1911, ( which was also a RIA ) Both purchases were years before I heard of Tisas. The Tisas supposedly has a forged frame, which is better than cast, but in almost 50 yrs shooting 1911's , can't say I ever had an issue with any cast frame. As they are entry level priced, I'd probably try a Tisas...with the same attitude I had toward my first RIA purchase..if I don't like it, sell it. You won't lose much if you don't like it & want /need to sell it.

Truth is, you may get a gem or a lemon with either purchase.. & I'd say the odds are about the same with either brand.. My experience would be you'll probably be happy with whichever one you chose.

Latest posts