Anybody have a Randall?

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I have carried many types of knives and used them all not just for show about a year plus back we had our knife laws changed to allow auto knives to be carried. I got a cheaper OTF carbon steel one and I am addicted to it the most used knife I have ever had which was a huge surprise, I would have never thought it.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey Doc...same here got it while stationed at El Toro $250...never really used it since it was so expensive...now I find it's worth $700. Hey at least it was an investment if one can find a buyer...ha. Have gutted more deer with the buck 110 even split the breast by just whacking the back of the knife with a chunk of wood...my go to knife around the world has been a swiss army knife only because of the cork screw...always in my flight suit.
Had a Swiss Army knife that an old girlfriend gave me. Took it everywhere I traveled. A number of years ago way before the 9-11 issues was coming back from Thailand and going through their security they took it and said it would be given back to me when we landed in SF. Of course, no one knew where it was when that happened so after a few letters, was sent a check for the knife, which I spent to replace that knife that was "lost". Still have that one but it doesn't get to travel on the plane with me like the other one did.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey I got detained by TSA for over 20 minutes because the TSA inspector her supervisor & then her supervisor couldn't figure out what a collapsible shoe horn was. It was comical...my wife threatened me every time I tried to say something...boy do I feel safe with TSA...At first I tired to show them but they wouldn't let me move towards it. Even called security on me.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
For years I have been looking at Randall knives. I've always wanted a Model 1,but, haven't bought one yet. I know that the value of thing's like this is subjective.
Anybody have one or had one. What's your opinion? Are they worth the price of admission?
Have one from 1987 paid $250 for it at that time. Haven't used it that much due to the cost. Found my USMC Kabar to be my go to knife. Try the Glock knife...great knife for the price.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I like to compare expensive knives to expensive guns, and Scotch. I have some pretty costly 1911's and have shot all of them. So were they worth the money? Yeah, I suppose so when compared to my Loveless, Johnson and a few other knives that I own that I have never used nor will ever use. Just too damned expensive to start cutting things with (whatever needs cutting or slicing). So my knives are comparable to what some like to refer to as "safe queens" when it comes to costly pistols. They are nice to have, look at and hold. They are all in a glass case proudly showing my somewhat idiotic desire to own some custom knives that I had to wait a while after ordering to get. Scotch? Same thing. Pick up a bottle of Glenmorangie and drink a dram that night. However, I have splurged on a few bottles down through the years, and the price of them has soared beyond reality. One bottle I could sell at Auction for over $2,000 and I never paid nearly that much for it, but still it coast me a lot more than one's I was drinking at the time. So if my Scotch just sits there and I never drink any of them, yes. too expensive. So not wasted money on any of my guns but by my definition, my knives and expensive Scotch were dollars tossed away.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Ralph Bone knife that was given to me in my teens by my GF I had no idea of what I had and used it every hunting season on deer etc, it is carbon steel and holds a good edge, one on the way home on a cold/rainy Sunday night I asked dad where did you put my knife? After a minute he said he left it on a log where we were cleaning deer, I turned around and we went back to get it right then he said leave it till next time NO WAY. The blade is blood stained purple tint now but good as the day it was made. The return trip to get it took 2 hrs total more driving. I felt very good when the beam of my flashlight hit it. The drive meant nothing to me.
I had a Ralph Bone knife a few years ago as part of my collectable group of knives. It was a Bowie and pretty cool. He put a small dog bone on the blade s his signature. Sold it for much more than I paid to a collector who bought a group of my knives. Definitely worth the trip back to get it.

Latest posts