Anybody have a Randall?

Hammer

Active Fanatic
For years I have been looking at Randall knives. I've always wanted a Model 1,but, haven't bought one yet. I know that the value of thing's like this is subjective.
Anybody have one or had one. What's your opinion? Are they worth the price of admission?

1911U004

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry about the crappy pic. Not much sunshine in Ohio today... model 26 not a #1.
It's pushing 15-20 years old now. Used to be used quite a bit, not so much anymore. O-1 tool steel, grinds are nice, nothing wrong with its ability to hold an edge. Fit and finish are top notch. It's always nice to hold anything that is hand crafted. Is it worth it??? The new miracle powdered steels are better for edge retention. In the end I look at it like this: it was worth it to ME.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
That Randall ^^^^ is not of the same quality as the Randall knife is.

Randall, the knife is an outstanding piece. I have owned a few Randalls, one being a model #1. While I found it to be an exquisite piece of work, it was rather useless as a knife for my needs.

You can find similar knives, of the same quality for a few Benjamins less.

Last edited:

Parausa

Active Fanatic
I have a couple. They are top shelf, super well-made, very lightweight for their size, hold a great edge and can be useful if you need a larger fixed blade hunter/skinner or combat blade. Keep your eyes open and you can find a deal here or there to save you some bucks. ($400-$500 instead of $600 or more). They are never cheap, but I long ago concluded that life is too short to use cheap gear...

Bender is right of course, you can get great quality gear that costs less, but my Randalls have been worth the investment to me.

Jim

Fanatic
I want a #7, but every time I save enough to afford one, I wind up buying another gun. Same with getting engraving done.

tightloops

Active Fanatic
I have 2, a mini 25 and a Trout & Bird. Both useless! ,,,,,,,,or should I say too nice to useo_O

Geno58

Fanatic
I own three Randall's , I love em. Great quality ,beautiful knives . Here's a pic of two.

Attachments

• FC9FA476-597C-4F41-BD2C-B0EA4E86DB8A.jpeg
    FC9FA476-597C-4F41-BD2C-B0EA4E86DB8A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 804EFCF2-CAC2-428E-8D63-6BDD5C157A90.jpeg
    804EFCF2-CAC2-428E-8D63-6BDD5C157A90.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 4024522E-9C9D-4BE9-A354-3890D7344C45.jpeg
    4024522E-9C9D-4BE9-A354-3890D7344C45.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21

tightloops

Active Fanatic
I own three Randall's , I love em. Great quality ,beautiful knives . Here's a pic of two.

Another 3 added to the never used list of Randall's.
Is everyone like me, or does anyone really use one?;)

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a few Randall knives but I have never used most of them. Don't care for the steel, don't care for the edge retention.

Bought mine from San Francisco gun exchage around 35 years ago when they had the best knife department in the bay area and before the commies shut them down.

Thing is, the appreciation has been slow and low for Randalls. Only increased about $200-$400 per knife in the last 35 years.

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Generally speaking, guns and knives aren't very good "financial investments". There are, of course, exceptions. All too often, an "investment grade" firearm ends up being a safe queen and doesn't appreciate in value anywhere near as much as one might expect. Then, there's always the risk that our legislators will make your investment worth very little. With very few exceptions, I buy 'em to shoot 'em.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
.gov will not make my "investments" worth less unless they LEGALIZE EVERYTHING and production goes UP.

More likely the natural tendency of government is to try to ban your guns, keeping (reasonable) belief in confiscation alive and the resale up.

The ONLY way for the US gov to reduce the value of my guns would be to go full Switzerland and require them in every home. BUT, WE ALL KNOW that secretly the jack booted .gov thugs want every one.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Have a pretty good custom knife collection but sold my Randall's several years ago for much more than I paid for them. Not only had they gone up in value but when someone doesn't want to wait, will pay a premium for instant gratification. My showpiece is a Loveless skinner and a personal letter from Bob Loveless stating he was so sorry in getting the knife to me so late. Still have some other beautiful knives, but some of my more practical investments are several automatic or switch blade knives; a few by Microtech which are carried daily.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Generally speaking, guns and knives aren't very good "financial investments". There are, of course, exceptions. All too often, an "investment grade" firearm ends up being a safe queen and doesn't appreciate in value anywhere near as much as one might expect. Then, there's always the risk that our legislators will make your investment worth very little. With very few exceptions, I buy 'em to shoot 'em.
Talked to a gun dealer a while back and he said he never ceases to be amazed at the number of people bringing in a pistol for sale or trade in who can't believe how much their gun has depreciated. He stated flatly that guns are not investments (with obvious exceptions) but rather something you buy to shoot, enjoy and pass on. Same thing with most automobiles.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
For years I have been looking at Randall knives. I've always wanted a Model 1,but, haven't bought one yet. I know that the value of thing's like this is subjective.
Anybody have one or had one. What's your opinion? Are they worth the price of admission?
Bought a Randall years ago when stationed at El Toro...$250. But been carrying my USMC Kabar don't want to ruin an expensive knife. With most knives the holster rots but not with the Glock. Now I carry the Glock knife cheaper & does the job. EDC is a Spyderco Endura.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I have several Randall's. Meant to be used, but many collect them. Too expensive? Depends on what you want in a knife. Like guns and cars. Inexpensive or very costly. All get the job done, but the intrinsic factor often depends on what you are willing to pay.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Ralph Bone knife that was given to me in my teens by my GF I had no idea of what I had and used it every hunting season on deer etc, it is carbon steel and holds a good edge, one on the way home on a cold/rainy Sunday night I asked dad where did you put my knife? After a minute he said he left it on a log where we were cleaning deer, I turned around and we went back to get it right then he said leave it till next time NO WAY. The blade is blood stained purple tint now but good as the day it was made. The return trip to get it took 2 hrs total more driving. I felt very good when the beam of my flashlight hit it. The drive meant nothing to me.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
I have several Randall's. Meant to be used, but many collect them. Too expensive? Depends on what you want in a knife. Like guns and cars. Inexpensive or very costly. All get the job done, but the intrinsic factor often depends on what you are willing to pay.
Hey Doc...same here got it while stationed at El Toro $250...never really used it since it was so expensive...now I find it's worth $700. Hey at least it was an investment if one can find a buyer...ha. Have gutted more deer with the buck 110 even split the breast by just whacking the back of the knife with a chunk of wood...my go to knife around the world has been a swiss army knife only because of the cork screw...always in my flight suit.