Another Stolen Valor Vet Gone

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I spent 20 months in country, '69-'71, this stolen valor issue has been up for discussion several times in our VFW. I seem to remember hearing that for every legitimate Vietnam Vet still living, there are at least 5 wanna be's out there claiming to have been there. I never understood the thinking behind this. What is the big draw? I'd rather be healthy, and able to shoot more, than running around in a ebay uniform, with somebody elses ribbon rack!

xusmico

Active Fanatic
I spent 20 months in country, '69-'71, this stolen valor issue has been up for discussion several times in our VFW. I seem to remember hearing that for every legitimate Vietnam Vet still living, there are at least 5 wanna be's out there claiming to have been there. I never understood the thinking behind this. What is the big draw? I'd rather be healthy, and able to shoot more, than running around in a ebay uniform, with somebody elses ribbon rack!
Same since the GW1 and GWOT. seems like every one I hear talking about it, wearing a uniform item, ect when questioned was in some non specific spec ops unit. Ask what their MOS/NEC and you get the spec ops reply. Unit? same thing. Even had a few say its classified. If it was you would have a cover that would check out. USMC 79-94

docjohnsson

New Fanatic
thanks can you provide est date claim was reveled and confession issued.
In a 1989 interview he said he was injured in combat and in a 1993 interview he said he served in Viet Nam. In 1999 he stated he regretted he "misrepesented" his statements about his service. I think the only foreign service was in Okinawa.

Cruise

New Fanatic
It seems the ones from Sunny Southeast Asia are slowly going away. New ones pop up and have to be dusted off. It is worthwhile going after them!