Ammo prices... 2017 vs 2021 (today... right now)

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
My daughter and SiL wanted to build a new house but are now just looking for something that's on the market because of the cost of materials!!
That's something else we are being gouged on. It's not coming down soon either and they are claiming high demand, first, due to lockdowns, and now because people are beginning summer project work. Anything to stick it to us.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Starting to see some more ammo , but not enough to start bringing prices back down . As far as building material its cheaper to build a shed or garage out of metal then wood !
I know of two LGS sitting on plenty of ammo , also keeping prices sky high . I'll save the ammo I have and take up bowling before I buy from them .

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I remember having a discussion with Mrs BD last March as this nazicrat run state was proposing a 30% ammo tax .

I wa spaying just 17 cents for 9mm, 40 cents for 45 acp and.... 7 cents for 22lr rounds back then

them the plandemic and rioting took its toll.

now 9mm= 55 cents a up

45 acp= 90 cents and up and 22lr is now 20 cents a round

Luckily,in the nick of time, I convinced my Mrs to let me start reloading.I had saved brass for years(never thought I would use it), bought primers from 4 cents to 20 cents a primer. bought powder( bullseye was available for just under 200 dollars for 16 pounds and bought bullets for about 8-10 cents each

Iload 9mm for 30-35 cents each and 45 acp for the same.

too bad i cannot load 22lr :)

I have had to cut my shooting to 1/3 of 2020 levels. too addicte d to not shoot at all. reloading is a saving grace for now

Last edited:

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Unfortunately I'm too new to the firearms addiction (only a few years since my first) to have lived through past attacks! I'm 1000% in this now but did not know to stick up all the time although am very well stocked for quite a while I would be neck deep in cases of ammo plus wound have gotten into reloading!
I continue to add as possible but refuse to pay $32.99/50 9mm although I bought another AR and my first Glock yesterday at my favorite lgs they informed me they have been getting small quantities of 9mm and selling at $33/100
check with federal. they ship to free states at reasonable price(last time Ilooked it was 38 cents a round for 9mm 124 gr)

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
I know of two LGS sitting on plenty of ammo , also keeping prices sky high . I'll save the ammo I have and take up bowling before I buy from them .
Yeah we got some of those too, I hope they choke on prices when the market catches up and people start buying on line again .

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
I remember having a discussion with Mrs BD last March as this nazicrat run state was proposing a 30% ammo tax .

I wa spaying just 17 cents for 9mm, 40 cents for 45 acp and.... 7 cents for 22lr rounds back then

them the plandemic and rioting took its toll.

now 9mm= 55 cents a up

45 acp= 90 cents and up and 22lr is now 20 cents a round

Luckily,in the nick of time, I convinced my Mrs to let me start reloading.I had saved brass for years(never thought I would use it), bought primers from 4 cents to 20 cents a primer. bought powder( bullseye was available for just under 200 dollars for 16 pounds and bought bullets for about 8-10 cents each

Iload 9mm for 30-35 cents each and 45 acp for the same.

too bad i cannot load 22lr :)

I have had to cut my shooting to 1/3 of 2020 levels. too addicte d to not shoot at all. reloading is a saving grace for now
Around here 9mm was 8 or 9 $ a box of 50 , 25$ 45acp , about 22$ for 550 of 22lr . Times like this will make you reconsider what is enough. I don't think most people planed for keeping emergency ammo and over a years worth of practice ammo !

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
New to me theory . One thing that happened the last few years , law enforcement by and large has dropped the .40 in favor of the 9mm , creating a nation wide demand for 9mm ammo . Combine that with an unprecedented number of new gun owners , covid shutting down factories and we have a real recipe for disaster . Then throw in price gougers , and that's where we're at . On the other hand , I tell people looking for their first handgun to get a .40 . The gun itself tends to be a little cheaper and a LGS has .40 for $26.00 per box of 50 . My LGS told me today , he's seeing ammo starting to show up more regular .

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
New to me theory . One thing that happened the last few years , law enforcement by and large has dropped the .40 in favor of the 9mm , creating a nation wide demand for 9mm ammo . Combine that with an unprecedented number of new gun owners , covid shutting down factories and we have a real recipe for disaster . Then throw in price gougers , and that's where we're at . On the other hand , I tell people looking for their first handgun to get a .40 . The gun itself tends to be a little cheaper and a LGS has .40 for $26.00 per box of 50 . My LGS told me today , he's seeing ammo starting to show up more regular .
I thought about picking up a 10mm for just that reason, it was on the shelves and prices were still normal. I had a full size 10mm Wilson classic a few years ago but a friend wanted it way ($$$$) more than I did :) :cool:
B0103744-22F6-4634-AE3A-E12EC8D90F14.jpeg

Only picture I have left of it but I still know where it's at.

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah ammo pricing is what killed the 40 , it just never came down to reasonable prices . It was three times as much as 9mm and twice as much as 45 . Even though gun manufacturers tried for years to keep the 40 relevant its finally about gone . They will probably always be around like the 25,32,and 41. Just won't be relevant .

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah ammo pricing is what killed the 40 , it just never came down to reasonable prices . It was three times as much as 9mm and twice as much as 45 . Even though gun manufacturers tried for years to keep the 40 relevant its finally about gone . They will probably always be around like the 25,32,and 41. Just won't be relevant .
Around here 40 was priced about same as 45 , now it's less and available . $26.00 isn't bad for the time we're in . I've never had a desire to own one , but I've advised a couple people to make it their first purchase . They're not regular shooters , just want a gun and a few boxes of ammo . LGS is getting $45.00 per box for 9mm .

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Same situation here, 9mm & 45auto sky high and maybe in stock maybe not, 40S&W typically instock and prices not so inflated. I had a bit of 40 and no blaster to run it in, so sold at cost to an acquaintance who was in need.

@Mike Galway, I'm retired general building contractor. license expired and no insurance. All my contacts in the industry retired or dead. Little home project here, plywood @ $66 p/sheet. For 1/2"!!!!! can't believe what this tiny project is costing. dammit

so thankful I load and still have components. many acquaintances inquire about "helping" or buying finished ammo. Nope! not gonna happen, first theres the potential liability and second, just nope. I have and will help out friends, my family are all shooters. I've got plenty, depending how long this insanity is ALLOWED to continue.

Latest posts