Alternatives to the AR

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Can't do bullpups.....I'm a lefty......

Have been looking into bolt action AR platforms lately.....interesting concept...but then again...with magazine limits in States....kind of defeats the purpose....which has me now looking at "normal" bolt action platforms....LOL...kind of a full circle thing, I guess...

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Those bolt action ARs are intriguing, but they would also be effected JP by some sort of ban.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Bender , love the M1 in .308. Those GIs really were tough, as we know and salute, hacking a 30,06 daily.

Mike, reminds me I need to give my old m94 some love. I came across it way back in the safe a couple days ago. I've had it a good long time. Back story is good also and some bad too.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I really liked my Springfield M1A...had a a Scout Squad model..was a favorite rifle to shoot.
Wanted to mount a scope over the receiver , as the long eye relief scope options were quite limited.
Also wanted to attach a bipod. as well as a brass catcher. Didn't like all the expense or options for these changes
Bought an AR-10 just for curiosity, So easy to make mods, & mine was more accurate than the M1A.
Ease of adding a drop in CMC trigger helped. Stopped taking my M1A to the range, as I preferred to shoot the AR-10.
Sold my M1A about a month ago.. Even made a nice profit on it, after owning it for 10 yrs.

Vin

Well-Known Fanatic
Mini 14's are Great. I also like the Ruger PC9, Springfield M1A a good scout rifle in .308 and my favorite the
M1 carbine. There are many alternatives to the AR and AK's

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Have both a Mini 14 & Mini 30.. both have /hasd terrible triggers, also had same problem mounting scopes & brass catchers.
Mini 30 is a Ranch model, so easy to mount scope..My Mini 14 isn't a Ranch model (didn't make them @ the time) A few companies nake brass catchers for them..every time I checked, they were sold out. Ended up using a baseball cap stretched around the scope rings, so the cap bill deflected the brass to my feet.
The scope mount for the 14 I tried would "shoot loose".. . Did eventually have my gunsmith do trigger work on the Mini 30, & it was a huge improvement in being able to shoot it accurately.

AR's in both calibers have left my Mini's in the safe Sounding like I'm a big AR fan.. guess I am.
Can't beat the ease of modifying them and ease of getting them to shoot accurately.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
For me, there are several, lever guns in 45-70 and 30-30, old M1, and M1 carbine, Ruger PC9, and bolt action 5.56/.223 Lots of goodies in that old safe. The tough one was mounting an optic on that old Winchester top eject, it took some looking to find that darn bracket!
Gonna be a tough 4 years ammo wise, or at least it's looking that way.:confused:

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Have both a Mini 14 & Mini 30.. both have /hasd terrible triggers, also had same problem mounting scopes & brass catchers.
Mini 30 is a Ranch model, so easy to mount scope..My Mini 14 isn't a Ranch model (didn't make them @ the time) A few companies nake brass catchers for them..every time I checked, they were sold out. Ended up using a baseball cap stretched around the scope rings, so the cap bill deflected the brass to my feet.
The scope mount for the 14 I tried would "shoot loose".. . Did eventually have my gunsmith do trigger work on the Mini 30, & it was a huge improvement in being able to shoot it accurately.

AR's in both calibers have left my Mini's in the safe Sounding like I'm a big AR fan.. guess I am.
Can't beat the ease of modifying them and ease of getting them to shoot accurately.
Have always loved the Mini 14
Still have a blued factory folder