Advice for first match

Jennifer Herd Seymour

Glitter Britches
So Saturday I'm shooting my first 3 gun match. Any last words of wisdom? Anything to keep in mind, any mind sets I should keep, anything a newbie may not know that I need to know? I'm ready to go with mossberg JM pro 930, Springfield xdm 9mm, and my AR. I have shell carriers, mag pouches, holster. So any last minute things I need to remember?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Ask questions! Get a stage plan and walk through it physically and mentally until you can remember it with your eyes closed. Get detailed with your stage plan too. Plan to shoot the A zone and the center of the steel. That way your subconscious will do what you planned when your brain punches out at the beep.

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
Have realistic expectations. You won't perform any task better in a match than you do in practice.
After the stage is over don't dwell on what happened. Instead figure out a way to practice what you just learned.
If you can't close your eyes and see the stage in your mind before its time to shoot, then you are not ready to shoot. There is no way I would have been able to do that my first match.
Most important thing to remember is the beer will be cold no matter what the final score looks like.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Triple check that you have all of your guns, gear, and ammo before you leave the house.
One of the matches last year I forgot my shell caddies. Luckily Jesse T. is the biggest gear queer I know so he had extras I could borrow.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Jennifer S. said:
Can you have your hand up as you walk the stage as if you were shooting it? I believe that's illegal in IDPA but allowed in USPSA?
Please ghost run the stages. It's encouraged.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
No.343 said:
Most important thing to remember is the beer will be cold no matter what the final score looks like.
Sometimes I find myself thinking about this instead of the shooting. Great advice!

take extra ammo so you're not flustered with running short...leave the "extra" extra ammo in the car unless you need it..

ask to be bumped to the bottom of the shooting order for all or most stages...this allows you to watch everyone else's good and bad for the stage

ASK questions if you have them...the only stupid questions are those not asked

I could've used this one at my last match "do NOT miss the stage briefing for each stage" shooting through the wrong port etc will cost ya, even if you hit all A's...

don't worry about the score, time or what other people think...we ALL started some time and we're all there to have fun

if there is a target that you are having trouble with (typically long range)...do the math and decide how many shots you want to battle that target, or take the penalty and move on

don't forget to take a deep breath and have FUN..that helps too

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Shotgun targets go one for one take that extra second & don't miss

Make sure the choke in your shotgun will put enough shot on the target. If you have a light mod put it in there & leave it.
Just remember you can miss clays ten feet away if you don't aim.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Biggest thing. Have Fun. Don't dwell on missed shots, messed up reloads or whatever. Go out, shoot the targets up and have fun doing it.

Jennifer Herd Seymour

Glitter Britches
Corey said:
Shotgun targets go one for one take that extra second & don't miss
Make sure the choke in your shotgun will put enough shot on the target. If you have a light mod put it in there & leave it.
Just remember you can miss clays ten feet away if you don't aim.
I'm most worried about shotgun. I haven't shot much shotgun! It will be a learning experience!!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Something that I had to learn the hard way. After you get a stage plan in mind, don't alter it at the last minute because you saw someone else do it differently on the run right before you. That always messes me up. If Cyrwus goes right before me and I see him game something and think "hey, that seemed to work for him".

HINT: It doesn't work for mortals

Latest posts