Accurate Iron vs. Benny Hill (TSS) vs. Taran Tactical M2

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
mike_pinto said:
Just remember, there are only 4 or 5 of the proprietary barrel to magazine alignment tools in existence today to ensure slug POI. Many other smiths besides TSS, AI and TTI use a method of bending the barrel which results in really bad long term effects. Not saying anyone mentioned above does this, but hitting the barrel of a $1400 shotgun against a tree to fix POI is not what I would consider good. :) My recommendation is stick with the guys that have been doing this for several years and have a proven record of reliability and knowledge.

This is the first job I had AI perform on my old M1 after reading some stuff Uncle KurtM put out there. Glad I had him do it. Found out their jig had to be adapted because my M1 was old enough it had the weird sized magtube.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Adam78 said:
Who all has the proprietary bending tool?
It's not a bending tool, it's an alignment tool to avoid bending.

Adam78

Active Fanatic
Wall said:
It's not a bending tool, it's an alignment tool to avoid bending.
So how does the tool align it then? I just assumed it was a jig with some rods you put through the barrel and tube and then turn a screw adjustment that bends one or the other to align them.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Adam78 said:
So how does the tool align it then? I just assumed it was a jig with some rods you put through the barrel and tube and then turn a screw adjustment that bends one or the other to align them.
It's proprietary [emoji4]

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Adam78 said:
Haha, touche. So who all has them?
I can only think of the 3 Pinto mentioned earlier. I can't remember the other 2. Maybe Jeff at C-Rums & Mark at RCI but I can't remember.

Just get a shotgun from Triangle Shooting Sports and you know you're good to go.

GunCat

Fanatic
Benny knows what he is talking about. That Propriety/RNT/KurtM fixture does not bend anything, just keeps everything lined up. I know that because we have one of the fixtures here at Rose Action Sports.

There is a story about Hershel House, the legendary flintlock rifle builder, getting fussed at by a customer for bending a barrel using a fork in a tree. The customer see Hershel tugging on the barrel and say “Stop, you'll bend it”. Hershel say “Hell its already bent, I am unbending it”

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Steve Rose said:
Benny knows what he is talking about. That Propriety/RNT/KurtM fixture does not bend anything, just keeps everything lined up. I know that because we have one of the fixtures here at Rose Action Sports.

There is a story about Hershel House, the legendary flintlock rifle builder, getting fussed at by a customer for bending a barrel using a fork in a tree. The customer see Hershel tugging on the barrel and say “Stop, you'll bend it”. Hershel say “Hell its already bent, I am unbending it”
Good to know Steve. Do you know if the VersaMax line suffers this problem as well?

GunCat

Fanatic
Adam Balzer (ChargerArms) said:
Good to know Steve. Do you know if the VersaMax line suffers this problem as well?
The mag tube / barrel alignment can be an issue with the VM, but more often the VM suffers from vent ribs that are not attached parallel with the bore

(The Benelli fixture is purpose built for the M1/M2 platform only - the dimension of the VM are different)

benny hill

Bingo on the VR being off on a versa max. NOW that is a gun I have wore a telephone pole out beating it on it. BUT, hey, it works and gentry kicks ass with his.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Steve Rose said:
The mag tube / barrel alignment can be an issue with the VM, but more often the VM suffers from vent ribs that are not attached parallel with the bore

(The Benelli fixture is purpose built for the M1/M2 platform only - the dimension of the VM are different)
Steve, somebody was asking about cutting a barrel down and having it rethreaded in another thread. I recommended they contact you. You might reach out. Thanks.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass

GunCat

Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Steve, somebody was asking about cutting a barrel down and having it rethreaded in another thread. I recommended they contact you. You might reach out. Thanks.
Mike and I spoke yesterday. Thanks for the reference.

FlashAndPoof

Active Fanatic
Please please correct me if I'm wrong.. but I believe Taran takes 3 pounds off the factory trigger weight but Accurate Iron doesn't.
Other than that, I think it's mostly aesthetics. I'll admit to preferring TTI's flashy work...

striped1

Well-Known Fanatic
FlashAndPoof said:
Please please correct me if I'm wrong.. but I believe Taran takes 3 pounds off the factory trigger weight but Accurate Iron doesn't.
Other than that, I think it's mostly aesthetics. I'll admit to preferring TTI's flashy work...
FlashAndPoof said:
It is a shotgun not a sniper rifle. TTI does change springs. I have a AI M2 with some TTI and RCI parts and it is an awesome piece of equipment. Has never had an issue in 2+ years. You cannot go wrong with AI, TTI or Benny Hill working on your shotguns.

Latest posts