A Tale of Three Guns

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Or alternatively titled "I got a new gun, but it is too wet to go to the outdoor range, and no way I am going to shoot with the yahoo's at the indoor range".

I thought it might be interesting to compare my current 1911 mini collection after receiving my new Dan Wesson today. I want to get the DW to the range before I post more than just cosmetic issues. So, the subjects: WC EP .45, DW PMC 38 Superb, and a SA RO in 9mm.
IMG_0189.JPG

So, we have a production gun, semi custom, and I would call DW kinda in between them. The WC is stock from WC. The SA had some trigger work, MSH replaced, rear sight replaced by the former owner. I did some "fitting" on the thumb safety so it did not cut up my hand when I shot it.

I am not a gunsmith, so, if I use any terms wrong, I apologize in advance.

Out of the box, the DW feels great in my hands. I love the more aggressive front strap aerations on the DW, the WC is pretty good, the SA had none, I put grip tape on it... IMG_0197.JPG

Sorry, crappy picture.

Slide to frame fit is great on the WC, and the DW. The SA has a bit of play. Toss up to me between the DW and WC with a slight edge to the DW for rear slide fit.IMG_0196.JPG

DW hits a home run in my opinion for front sight fit.IMG_0198.JPG

And I LOVE the way they did the barrel fit and crown (WC is a flange barrel, so different).IMG_0191.JPG

I thought it might be interesting to look at a sub $1k, $1.5k, and $3K 1911 from a non expert shooter's opinion.

Having a bit of fun on a rainy Saturday evening, Will post some more after some range time with the DW.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Bad news. I do believe that Dan Wesson offers blem guns at a discount. More limited warranty, identified by an upside down Y after the serial number. I have no problem with a company selling blem items, have no problem buying a blem if it is acceptable to me. This gun was sold factory new, demo gun at a gun store. No mention of blem. I have contacted them, and will go from there.

I do believe I have discovered the "blem" and it is more than cosmetic. I plan on contacting DW to see in fact if the blem is factual, and if so, whether they keep a recored of the blem by serial number.

I don't think I could put more of the word blem in a post. Wait, I just did. ;)

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I would pass on that LGS. honesty is a key to trust.

the pm is a great gun. get it fixed and enjoy the ride

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Very nice......

It is a bit disturbing that a shop would sell a blemish as a factory new demo.
I'm sure you will get it sorted out. Please let us know what this blem is after you get this issue worked out to your satisfaction.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Update. I still can't find the blem... I discovered the seller had several of these blem "demo" models for sale on their website https://www.ammoandarmsstore.com/product/cz-usa-dan-wesson-pointman-01842#prettyPhoto and on Gunbroker, that link is to their store, they took down the ones on Gunbroker. They also list said guns as having a serrated top slide, which DW does not offer in the PMC line.

I decided to keep the gun, and share my experience with Elk County Ammo and Arms. In their defense, they did offer a refund, but, since I had already taken a file to the sharp edges of the rear sight, I chose to keep it, as I felt it would unethical on my part to try to return a modded gun.

Gunbroker add can be seen here: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785712838 They upside down Y is visible in the pictures. Note the "demo" and top slide serrations. I did not notice the slide serrations part before I bought it, that would have clued me in that something was wrong.

Guess I let my desire for a new gun over ride my common sense. Has never happened before... :)

I am liking the gun! I just hate companies that are not honest.

Last edited: