7.62x39 AR SBR

Gamecock24

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going to be building an AR pistol in 7.62x39. Any help or advice y'all can give would be great. I know there's a member here that has an upper chambered in that round, I think Trigerstripe. My main concern is the gas system.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

mine is a carbine length with a 16 in bbl.

as far as i know the gas tube is the same, i used an off the shelf tube.

length will depend on the bbl gas hole and where you cut the bbl, unless you buy it short.

you can probably get a 10.5 in bbl.

i can tell you it will be a handfull.

Gamecock24

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

I'm considering using a 7.5" SS barrel and possibly one those pig tail gas tubes. I've mainly decided on using this round over 300 blk solely bc of ammo price and availability even though I know if I load my own the cost of 300blk is less.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

thats why i went 762x39. i figured i can load my own sub loads.

reloading one ought to be the same as the other, just finding 762 brass.

i wondered if you could get a shorter bbl. when you get it together let me shoot it on my machine gun. FLAMES.

Gamecock24

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

Shooting full auto sounds like fun. What mags do you use? I've heard the ASC mag aren't always reliable but those seem to be all that's available. I wonder if I could use a 6.8 mag for the 7.62x39

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

Paco lent me a 6.8 mag and i need to get it BACK TO HIM.

before i got mine. it would only feed about 7. mabye it would work better on semi but you could only get about 14 in it.

i have some ASC mags now and they work great, so far.

wjasmpj

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

I just built one. I used a regular pistol length gas tube without any issues. I would say try a regular pistol tube first, if it doesn't work then try the pigtail. That way if you buy the wrong one first, you'll only be out $10-20 vs $56-110.
I bought this barrel http://www.cobratacsystems.com/coll...l-barrel-1-9-750-gas-block-nitride-lined-bore
Get an enhanced firing pin as well. It allows the your firing pin to sink into the primers just a bit more, which will be sure to set off those hard russian primers.
Its the one with the quad rail.
20140120_212729.jpg

20140120_212656.jpg

Gamecock24

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

WJ thanks for the link on the barrel that will save me $25 over the SS barrel I was looking at. I see your point about trying the regular pistol gas tube first and I will. As far as the firing pin it's not hard to mod a standard pin. It can be done with a drill and needle file by taking off .003" from the front shoulder of the pin.

I can't really see the pics of your build on my phone bc it only shows the left half of the pic for some reason. Arggg!

Ok just figured out if I save the pic to my phone I can see the whole thing. I was planing on doing something similar to your upper. With a mid length handguard and Flaming Pig on the end. What compensator is that you have with the checkering at the end? Heck I even have the Vortex StrikeFire.

Gamecock24

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

Well I bought the pistol lower build kit and picto blem lower with Vortex strike fire from PSA. The lower build kit was $99 and the lower with strikefire package deal was $159. I'll have two strikefire snow but I'll use it just couldn't pass up the deal on that. If you're looking for just a lower, a reddot or both get them while they're on sale.

Gamecock24

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

Thanks I was thinking that's what it was. I checked out their comps after you linked me to that site for the barrel. I did end up going with the 7.5" SS barrel from RedX Arms. I'm still deciding on a handguard 9" Troy Alpha or couple different one from Midwesr Ind. depending which comp I go with. I should have some parts some time this week, rain, sleet or snow. :D

Gamecock24

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

wjasmpj said:
RedX Arms makes good stuff too. I've always been happy with their stuff.
WJ what length is that handguard? I can't decide if I should go with a 10" from Midwest Ind or a 9" from Rainier Arms. I want the comp to tuck up in the hand guard like yours.

Gamecock24

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

Thanks. I've found another site that has the Krinkov style flash hiders even cheaper than CobraTac. It's MAS Defense they have a three piece, two piece and a one peice that is a KX3 clone all for around $40. For the price of a real KX3 I can order all three of theirs.

Gamecock24

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

I decided to go the cheaper route and paint it myself.

I'm happy with how it looks but tomorrow I'll find out how it shoots going to Indian Creek in the morning to test it out

Gamecock24

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

Yes the comp is recessed into the handguard.

I did shoot it today and it kicks like an SOB but it's manageable. I did have two reliability issues. One with the ACS mags not feeding on the last two rounds. And the other problem was light strikes on Tula and Red Army ammo.

I'm going to try some different mags. My buddies 6.8 mags worked just fine. I'm also going to modify the firing pin by filing a little bit off the rear shoulder on it.

Not bad for my first AR build I only lost the bolt catch spring during the build but PSA was open so I got another.

Gamecock24

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

Well I sent in my Form 1 on this today. I wonder what the turn around time is going to be on this. I wanted to efile it but the eform site is down for "maintenance" I know it had some problems but I wonder if that really has anything to do with 41p.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
7.62x39 AR pistol

my ASC 762x39 mags work fine.

did you shave the firing pin? if not i may have a better way.

Latest posts