3D Firearm Printing

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been doing some research on 3D printing. I've been thinking about getting a 3D printer for making cycle parts and possibly gun stuff. Unfortunatly it just not cost effective at this point.

jeremys

Well-Known Fanatic
cool vid, awesome tech, love the message to atf...

I just hope he really likes chewing gum or has tmj.

dennishoddy

OK I just spent two hours trying to get through this video, and finally gave up with my crappy connection.

WTF does the machining, or is it nothing better than a CAD system that designes the product, and then generates a program to produce it on a machine tool?

I spent 22 years in the machining business, and didn't see a dammed thing in this video about the cutting tools, machinery, etc?

The printer I saw didn't have the capability to machine out the mag wells, index the parts, etc.? WTF am I missing?

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Dennis, these machines actual build up material rather then remove material, similar to selective laser sintering or stereolithography. The are getting better and better materials each year. They started with wax printing, melting it and placing it in the right spot, then it went to corn starch, then low rigidity plastics, and now much stronger polymers.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
3D printing is all CAD Dennis no machining. It uses a laser if memory serves me right to harden the liquid into a plastic on small layer at a time. That plastic can be in the shape of just about anything which includes a magazine, lower receiver etc. No machining required. That's what he is up to. He is doing the whole Napster for 3D printer CAD drawings & designs. Its his way of saying F U liberal gun grabbers. He will give everyone the ability to build a gun if they can afford a 3D printer.

The kids more than a little on the outskirts but he is very well spoken and seems to be very intelligent. He also seems to be the perfect guy to fight a battle with the govt which would get them off of our guns and onto stopping him from making them.

Matt Washburn said:
Dennis, these machines actual build up material rather then remove material, similar to selective laser sintering or stereolithography. The are getting better and better materials each year. They started with wax printing, melting it and placing it in the right spot, then it went to corn starch, then low rigidity plastics, and now much stronger polymers.
Its fascinating to watch a part come to life out of the liquid isn't it?

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I think their choice if editing style, choice of clothes, the way they speak, the car he drives, everything screams liberal hipster. I don't know if that's on purpose to draw in that crowd or if they're really like that. Either way that was an interesting video.

jtischauser

They're in Austin, TX. I think they are only liberal on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The rest of the week very conservative and gun loving.

They're in Austin, TX. I think they are only liberal on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The rest of the week very conservative and gun loving.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Exactly. I'm all for it if they're genuine. If they're just being hipster bastards and drawing the attention to this so it will be regulated and stopped then they can go to hell.

jtischauser

I think they care more about tell the govt to eff themselves than they do about guns. Guns just happen to be the vehicle to deliver their message at this point. One of their other videos talks a little about the bitcoin idea. Which is a virtual monetary system that decentralized the govt ability to control the money supply and eliminates the need for banks. How bad would eliminating the dollar hurt the Big govt liberals? Way worse than all of us having the ability to make guns and mags.

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Its a pretty cool video and to see how fast this technolagy is moving is pretty exciting not just for what gun parts you could build but what else it can be used for over the next 5 to ten years this will change the way we use computers I remeber inkjet printers being new and exciting and now I can buy one for $40.
Ill also bet that he has studied political science and other reletive subjects if you listen to the way he talks he talks about building firearm parts and how we should also have the right to do it. However "I think" he doesnt care its a firearm part what he cares is that he can, just like you could download free music from napster.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
This technology isn't new. It's been around since the late 1980s. What's new is the low price. They used to run over $30K for a small-volume chamber, and now you can build your own for $500, or buy commercial from $1500.

scalpelarms

Well-Known Fanatic
We have a 3D printer, its fun but if you cant do any 3D designing its a waste of money. Luckily we can and its cool as hell!!!

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
This guy was on a piece CNBC did on the history of the AR. W hole I like the idea, IMO this guy couldn't be a worse spokesman for the firearms community. According to the video on CNBC this guy is a self described anarchist and is using this capability to just give a big middle finger to the politicos.

jtischauser

Josh Beauchamp said:
This guy was on a piece CNBC did on the history of the AR. W hole I like the idea, IMO this guy couldn't be a worse spokesman for the firearms community. According to the video on CNBC this guy is a self described anarchist and is using this capability to just give a big middle finger to the politicos.
I don't think he is a spokesman for anyone in the firearms community. His focus is definitely anti govt or anarchist.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess you are right Jesse. The problem is him and others like him are the "pro gun" crowd the liberals postage infront of a camera when ever they need the counterpoint to their anti gun journalism.

Latest posts