3-gun optics questions

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Wait until you shoot a tuned 3 Gun rifle with low mass carrier, low mass buffer combined with a big compensator and an adjustable gas block and look thru a Swarovski Z6i.
Swarovski... Like the crystal/glass maker?

Austin T said:
It's those damn L3 engineers driving the cost of everything up.
More like scientists, I had an interview at L3 when I lived in Orlando and they gave me a facility tour. You'd never know it from the outside, it looks like any other commercial building but it was unreal on the inside.

hunter_dmw12 said:
Just remember we are all talking about rifle/scope. In 3 gun there are still two more guns to drop cash on. Then all the equipment to hang n your belt. When you get ready for all that look no further than our awesome forum sponsors like make ready pro shop and the shooters source. They are great guys to deal with and as cheap as you will find. Good luck and have FUN..
Ya, I've got the pistol under control. Just sold my 870, I hate pump action, nothing fun about them at all, so the rifle is my main objective.

JPeel said:
It's not too late to turn back. Just slowly walk away.....
hahahahaaa. I'm definitely an all or nothing type of guy, balls deep now.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
22+1 said:
3 gun at the benton gun club always has a 300 400 and 500 stage. Hasnt been a problem since they told
Me it was meters and not yards after I shot my first match.
I hate meters! Our silhouette range put up some AR500 gongs for us to shoot with our .223 but they are at 200, 300, 400, 500 Meters. Which works in yards and my BDC to be right in between the marks. I have all kinds of hell hitting those things for some reason.

jtischauser

mtnman1 said:
Swarovski... Like the crystal/glass maker?

More like scientists, I had an interview at L3 when I lived in Orlando and they gave me a facility tour. You'd never know it from the outside, it looks like any other commercial building but it was unreal on the inside.

Ya, I've got the pistol under control. Just sold my 870, I hate pump action, nothing fun about them at all, so the rifle is my main objective.

hahahahaaa. I'm definitely an all or nothing type of guy, balls deep now.
Yeah Swarovski like the glass makers. The Swarovski Z6i is the most popular scope in the pro circuit. The glass is well Swarovski the reticle is perfect for the sport, illuminated dot is awesome, the FOV is the widest available only problem is the ain't cheap!

Austin T is an L3 engineer BTW. I think he makes space shuttles not red dots though. The red dot guys aren't rocket scientist like our boy Austin.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Yeah Swarovski like the glass makers. The Swarovski Z6i is the most popular scope in the pro circuit. The glass is well Swarovski the reticle is perfect for the sport, illuminated dot is awesome, the FOV is the widest available only problem is the ain't cheap!

Austin T is an L3 engineer BTW. I think he makes space shuttles not red dots though. The red dot guys aren't rocket scientist like our boy Austin.
The facility I was in was testing and manufacturing mine detectors. I was to travel and give classes on their new equipment. I was waaaay out of my league at the time, it was a bunch of former SEALs and SF operators. Not a fitting environment for a 23 year old straight out of Afghanistan.

Any thoughts on Leupold? I know you have your sponsors and can't speak outside of that realm but are they a cheaper, reliable alternative to Swarovski?

jtischauser

Leupolf makes great stuff. Definitely more rugged than Swaro. They kinda target different markets. The Z6i BRT reticle was designed for big game hunting. Just so happens that it's perfect for 3 gun. If I was in combat if choose a leupold for sure.
The vortex 1-6 and leupold vx6 are good sub $1500 3 gun options. For the big bucks the Swaro and Kahles is where it's at.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Jeremy Moore said:
Yes, Tac Ops is using a magnified optic, Limited is a non magnified optic. Got to figure out those holds. What's the longest distance shot at your local 3 gun match?
I have no idea sir, Jesse just hooked me up with the resources to find my local 3 gun yesterday. I'll have to look into the Durham NC club being that they're only 30 min from where I live. Both Tac Ops and Limited sound like the divisions that would appeal to me the most.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Leupolf makes great stuff. Definitely more rugged than Swaro. They kinda target different markets. The Z6i BRT reticle was designed for big game hunting. Just so happens that it's perfect for 3 gun. If I was in combat if choose a leupold for sure.
The vortex 1-6 and leupold vx6 are good sub $1500 3 gun options. For the big bucks the Swaro and Kahles is where it's at.
That's where I'm going to have to start then, until I get my real estate business up and running I'm going to have to be somewhat frugal.

jtischauser

If I was just getting started I'd pick up a yardbirds Tac30 or MTAC for $250-300. I have 4 or 5 of them and they get the job done.

Jeremy Moore

Well-Known Fanatic
mtnman1 said:
I have no idea sir, Jesse just hooked me up with the resources to find my local 3 gun yesterday. I'll have to look into the Durham NC club being that they're only 30 min from where I live. Both Tac Ops and Limited sound like the divisions that would appeal to me the most
Don't sir me, I work for a living. ;-) You're close to Tarheel 3 gun: http://tarheel3gun.com/ Charles Sole is the MD and here's his cell;919-201-7990. There's a good group of shooters there.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Jeremy Moore said:
Don't sir me, I work for a living. ;-) You're close to Tarheel 3 gun: http://tarheel3gun.com/ Charles Sole is the MD and here's his cell;919-201-7990. There's a good group of shooters there.
Fair enough, I appreciate it. I'll definitely be looking into their upcoming schedule just to get out there and see how things roll and quit asking you guys the Barney questions. Ha.

Jeremy Moore

Well-Known Fanatic
mtnman1 said:
Fair enough, I appreciate it. I'll definitely be looking into their upcoming schedule just to get out there and see how things roll and quit asking you guys the Barney questions. Ha.
Don't stop asking, this is how you learn. You have a wealth of knowledge here from shooters, gunsmiths, and us wanna be's. You'll get honest, uncensored answers with no bs like others.

1911-45

Well-Known Fanatic
Charger Arms said:
1911-A1 uses an EOTech and whoops my ass quite often.
It's 1911-45 , Charger Legs.
I ran my EoTech XPS2-0 for 2 years and can say I NEVER had a problem with it working. I just put together my new rifle and will put on irons sights for the targets past 300yards and have a brand new Leopold prizmatic in the box I am trying to get the courage to open and put it on. That EoTech has been good to me!

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
1911-45 said:
It's 1911-45 , Charger Legs.
I ran my EoTech XPS2-0 for 2 years and can say I NEVER had a problem with it working. I just put together my new rifle and will put on irons sights for the targets past 300yards and have a brand new Leopold prizmatic in the box I am trying to get the courage to open and put it on. That EoTech has been good to me!
I would have just typed "M.C." but then everyone would have looked at my like I had a Richard hanging off my forehead.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Charger Arms said:
I would have just typed "M.C." but then everyone would have looked at my like I had a Richard hanging off my forehead.
I see what you did there, hahahaa

CPWSA

Well-Known Fanatic
I have two rifles that have different optics setups that I'll switch back and forth depending on the match. For Tac Optics division at a match with targets at 300 yards or more, I'll use a Swaro Z6i. More high end scopes are coming into the 1x to 6x arena now so there are some other good options at that price point in a 1 x 6.

A 1x to 4x Burris MTAC or Bushnell AR optic is a great choice for something that gets the job done but doesn't break the bank. Our monthly Atlanta 3 Gun club match is basically rifle stuff in pistol bays with no long range at all. There, even shooting Tac Optics, I'll use my patrol rifle which is the same rifle setup as the Z6i (just a heavier trigger), an aluminum body Tactical CMore with co-witness back up irons. I'm not sure I'm not just a little faster with the CMore than the Z6i on non-long range targets; nothing at all to block peripheral vision and the Z6i and a mount is not a lightweight setup, so the patrol rifle is noticeably lighter which I like. Were it not for that rifle getting bounced around a patrol car on a regular basis, I'd have gone with the standard (non-aluminum) railway CMore.

jtischauser

CPWSA said:
I have two rifles that have different optics setups that I'll switch back and forth depending on the match. For Tac Optics division at a match with targets at 300 yards or more, I'll use a Swaro Z6i. More high end scopes are coming into the 1x to 6x arena now so there are some other good options at that price point in a 1 x 6.

A 1x to 4x Burris MTAC or Bushnell AR optic is a great choice for something that gets the job done but doesn't break the bank. Our monthly Atlanta 3 Gun club match is basically rifle stuff in pistol bays with no long range at all. There, even shooting Tac Optics, I'll use my patrol rifle which is the same rifle setup as the Z6i (just a heavier trigger), an aluminum body Tactical CMore with co-witness back up irons. I'm not sure I'm not just a little faster with the CMore than the Z6i on non-long range targets; nothing at all to block peripheral vision and the Z6i and a mount is not a lightweight setup, so the patrol rifle is noticeably lighter which I like. Were it not for that rifle getting bounced around a patrol car on a regular basis, I'd have gone with the standard (non-aluminum) railway CMore.
How much are those C More dots?

Latest posts