3-gun optics questions

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Jeremy Moore said:
They do in Limited division
That's what I was looking for. Thanks

Austin T said:
We all got tired of playing Where's Waldo on the clock. At least I did.
lol. I have very minimal experience behind a scope but tons of time behind red dots and reflex sights. Isn't target acquisition much more difficult behind a scope? Guess that's what makes the pro's, pro's. I would never be able to get my eye relief that consistent.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
That's why 1-4x 1-6x scopes rule. Up close on 1x it's basically an aimpoint, out far at 4-6x you get the magnification to engage those hard to see 400 yard targets.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
mtnman1 said:
Isn't target acquisition much more difficult behind a scope? Guess that's what makes the pro's, pro's. I would never be able to get my eye relief that consistent.
Nah. For any long gun, after you've spent a little bit of time with it you'll pick it up and index in the same place naturally. The key is to get the scope placed so the eye relief is naturally correct when you bring it to your shoulder without any additional movement or straining. This will change a little as your shooting style matures...my scopes started way further forward and they've been moving back as I keep standing up straighter instead of staying in the tactical turtle position.

Red dots are faster up close (barely), from 0-25 or 0-40ish yards. After that it's basically negligible with a good 1-x scope and finding and hitting the longer distance targets is about a bazillion times easier.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
I laughed out loud at "tactical turtle". hahahaaa. guilty...

I guess I was just thinking out the EOTech HHS 1 with the 3x magnifier that flips to the side.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
In my little corner of the world dots and scopes run in separate divisions. If you want to shoot a scope shoot a scope. If you want to shoot a dot shoot a dot.

Jeremy Moore

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess I was just thinking out the EOTech HHS 1 with the 3x magnifier that flips to the side.
You'd be at a slight disadvantage as most used scopes are 4-8x. However, there are some limited shooters that could potentially compete in Tac-Ops and clean house. Run what you have, just know your holds if you plan on shooting some distance.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Anything is possible with practice. Most. Guys are way faster finding a target slowly on 6X then hitting said targets because they can see them with a scope vs being able to find a target fast but hit it slow with a dot cause they can't see it once they find it.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Jeremy Moore said:
You'd be at a slight disadvantage as most used scopes are 4-8x. However, there are some limited shooters that could potentially compete in Tac-Ops and clean house. Run what you have, just know your holds if you plan on shooting some distance.
Tac-Ops is another class? And you present another issue I have as well, 99% of my shooting skills are CQB so I have no clue what my holdover is.

Austin T said:
Eotech + magnifier is the Domino's of the optics world. Why, when you could spend the same money and have Pizza Hut?
Ha!.... I'm all about the Domino's thin crust pepperoni. I just kinda figured it might be the best of both worlds? I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, it's just fascinating to me what people run and the theories behind it.

Jesse Tischauser said:
Anything is possible with practice. Most. Guys are way faster finding a target slowly on 6X then hitting said targets because they can see them with a scope vs being able to find a target fast but hit it slow with a dot cause they can't see it once they find it.
Makes complete sense. It's gonna be hard for me to shake the tactical side of this for me but I'm all ears.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
mtnman1 said:
I just kinda figured it might be the best of both worlds? I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, it's just fascinating to me what people run and the theories behind it.
It's not, trust me. It's seriously the Yugo of tac-optics, except by the time you're done you're in Cadillac cost territory.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
mtnman1 said:
Makes complete sense. It's gonna be hard for me to shake the tactical side of this for me but I'm all ears.
most of us came from the 16" carbine gas Eotech AR world. You'll figure out that there are much better ways like we all did.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Austin T said:
It's not, trust me. It's seriously the Yugo of tac-optics, except by the time you're done you're in Cadillac cost territory.
They really are astronomically priced as is everything is from L3 communications.

Matt Rigsby said:
most of us came from the 16" carbine gas Eotech AR world. You'll figure out that there are much better ways like we all did.
So most guys are running direct impingement in 3 gun? This is all the antithesis of everything I know. hahahahaa. mind=blown

Latest posts