.223 Sizing Question

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't have much experience with reloading rifle ammo and the test/dummy rounds I've loaded don't eject easily. I've messed with the amount of crimp with no luck. Is there anybody who is near prepped brass who can tell me what the inside and outside diameter of their case mouth is? I did screw up once by putting a 7mm expander ball on my .223 die when the decapping pin bent and stuck the .223 ball on the spindle. Lesson learned there.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
It was overcrimped. I started with the seating die just touching the case mouth, then turned it a full turn clockwise instead of counterclockwise. I thought I needed way more crimp than I do. 1.8 GPA from a Missouri public high school strikes again.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
On this topic, if I want to use 5.56 load data, do I need to be able to do anything special with the brass such as crimp the primer, or just use 5.56 brass? I know some people anneal the necks, but is that required when reloading higher pressure rounds, or does that just increase the number of loads a case can undergo?

dennishoddy

David Marlow said:
On this topic, if I want to use 5.56 load data, do I need to be able to do anything special with the brass such as crimp the primer, or just use 5.56 brass? I know some people anneal the necks, but is that required when reloading higher pressure rounds, or does that just increase the number of loads a case can undergo?
Annealing just extends the life of the brass. With the availability of brass, I don't mess with it.
Crimping primers is a military requirement as you already know.
Can't think of any reason to crimp a 5.56 used in a rifle that is semi auto. Full auto, yes.

Latest posts