1911 Proud Owner

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome.

Honestly, IMHO, you are the best part of your weapon. I just got back from my weekly shootin training. Shoot, shoot and then shoot some more. Make it 2nd nature. Your body is the biggest part of the equation and the weakest link.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
So, how do you get a 1911 in India? Do you have to be a member of a privledged class or a police or Military officer? Is it on a temporary license? Does the license have to be renewed? At what cost? How long did it take to obtain it and what did you have to go through to take it home? Do you keep it at home or at a police facility? Can you have more than one? Can you buy all the ammo you want?

Can you carry it? Anywhere??

What brand did you obtain? Where do you have to go to practice and how often can you go? What does it cost to use the practice range? How many of your friends have guns?

What is the registration process in India? What is the confiscation process in India?

I really appreciate your answers so younger Americans can contrast to what we (still) have in the U.S.

Thank you and good luck

If I could be rude and get really personal, what did your "name of pistol" 1911 cost in India and how much is a 50 round box of cartridges?

Thanks again.

John Galt
"Free" American

bigbob76

Fanatic
Welcome from Southern California and Central Ohio. I hope I get to see the answers to the questions listed above.

Viraj Pawar

Fanatic
Hi there i got this weapon Colt M1991 A1 from the gun shop. I got this weapon 3 yrs back . It costed me a lot that is 14Lakh as there is very low availability of 1911 weapon in india. Here in india the ammo cost 9000 rupees a box of 50. Here we have to renew our licence every 2yrs. In India we are given very limited quota of ammo such as 100 at a time and yearly max 200. So we have to save ammo for the whole year.
I go to shooting range to practice and we are allowed to fire only 20 rounds at a time. We can have only one handgun one shotgun and one rifle on our one licence.

Viraj Pawar

Fanatic
Registration of new licence in India is next to impossible as they reject 90% of the arms licences. Only licence for sports purpose is passed. Even the person playing on national level face huge problems while making licences.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you very much for your kind reply.

May I ask if you purchased a new or a used gun?

Would you have had an easier time with your purchase if you bought a revolver instead of a pistol? If you had wanted a Glock or CZ could you have obtained one for your license?

If you decide to get a different gun do you have to apply and trade your 1911 for the next gun? Would you have to turn it in and wait an undetermined amount of time again? Could you ungrade your 1911 to a better 1911? Would you be risking being denied so better not to apply? How do you (or your friends) treat the trading or upgrading situation?

Can authorities come and inspect you any time? Day or night? Any cause needed? Could they also take it any time or does there need to be some reason?

I really appreciate you indulging my curiosity. It must be really hard to only shoot your 20 rounds at a time and (I'm guessing) you save most of your shooting for toward the end of the year??

Thank you again and have fun.

WS6

Fanatic
Welcome from South Texas!

Crazy! How much it costs and the regulations in place to sport shoot or protect yourself in your country. Thank you for the input and education, One more reason I love America and Texas! Hell, It was a culture shock moving from California to Texas when it came to firearms, Can't imagine putting up with anything less than "Which firearms did you want to purchase today Sir?" "You said 10,000 rounds to go with that? No problem, I'll ring you right up!"

Good luck on your next purchase and by no means think you have an inferior firearm in thatCcolt! I'd run it in my collection in a heartbeat!!!

fflincher

Active Fanatic
My heart goes out to you!

I have had to think of ways to shoot that were inexpensive, and will tell you some here. Some may not be practical for you.

Dry fire practice has been valuable to me when I could not shoot. You may want to use snap caps to practice loading magazines, charging your pistol and dry firing to preserve your firing pin. https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/a-zoom

You should be able to find great leather products in your country for holster, belt and magazine pouches. You should be able to find great custom grips from horn, bone and ivory. We can't get real ivory here.

1. Get a .22 Long Rifle conversion kit, the best you can afford.
https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/1911/rimfire
This is a really good conversion kit. It is not a firearm in the USA because it does not include a frame, the serial numbered and government recorded part. Rimfire ammunition may be treated differently than the centerfire .45 ACP you are now shooting.

If other centerfire ammunition is available, you may be able to find ways to change the caliber of your pistol and shoot that. With a different extractor, ejector, barrel, recoil spring, magazine, your pistol may be used to fire .38 Super, 9X19, .40 S&W and probably others I don't know about.

2. You may be able to reload. The least expensive tool in the USA is a Lee Loader.
You will need primers, powder and bullets for your fired cartridge cases. I am sure you can find lubricant and probably cast your own lead bullets. Primers and powder may be difficult to import but should be available from Pakistan or Afghanistan.

3. Some years ago a Japanese man won an international pistol competition by practicing with an air-soft gun like the pistol he used for the contest. Japan, too, has severe restrictions on firearms and that was how he was able to train.

Tell us more about your situation and we'll try to help.

Latest posts