1911 mag preferences.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Posted this elsewhere, but I wanted to ask people who actually shoot their guns so....

Wanted to see how everyone's preferences ran when it comes to single stack 1911 mags. The Colt 1911 I was given came with a factory Colt magazine, and a no name magazine. I was later given a Springfield magazine, and I bought two Chip McCormick Shooting Star 8 round mags. I had jams with all of them, the CMC's were the best, but would consistently jam on the last round. I picked up three Tripp Research Super 7 upgrade kits. The CMC's have run flawlessly since, and the Springfield mag, with the upgrade kit has had one jam, albeit on a frigid morning while deer hunting.

Planning to pick up some more mags, but was just going to see what people use and prefer. Leaning towards Tripp Research mags, or Wilson Combat

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I third that. I was thinking if you have had that much trouble with mags maybe it's the gun?

ChrisC

Revolver Division
I tried the tripp mags when I owned a sti trojan and they didn't like going into the gun, we clearenced and smoothed the mag release but it didnt matter. In my Springfield I tried tripps this past match on the first stage the mags induced three lock backs with ammo still in the magazine. I switched back to my Chip Mccormick mags and worked flawless again. Wilsons work fine as well. No idea why tripps dont work for me.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
I third that. I was thinking if you have had that much trouble with mags maybe it's the gun?
I have thought of that, and figure decent mags will be one way to eliminate that as a possibility. The CMC mags with Tripp springs and followers have never had a problem, the other mags have struggled mainly with the last round. Two of those mags sat loaded for 8 years or so before they were given to me. The gun isn't perfect I am sure, but doesn't have any obvious problems. Like I said, mags seem like an easy place to start, and its not like you can have too many right?, or if I end up having to have the gun worked on, I don't think I will be upset about having a handful of nice mags after the fact.

Latest posts