Your favorite non 1911 45 acp Auto?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I bought my Star Starfire M45 back in the 90s.
At first I had problems with this pistol. It would run perfectly with lightweight + P loads
but FTF & FTE with hard ball. Weird huh?

By accident I found a cracked recoil guide rod, it was hollow.
My friend made a new solid rod for me & problem solved.

This heavy little 45acp is fun to shoot, @ 36 ozs the recoil is very manageable.
This 45 acp will chamber empty cases with ease so any cartridge you want to shoot.

1705706755854.png

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Make mine a 9mm Hi Power. I love those guns!
I'd love to have a Browning Hi Power chambered in 45 acp. :p Really. ;)

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'm not a big Glock fan. I only have a G19 for a garage gun. But seeing your response I might just have to try a G21 .45. for the hell of it. After all, .45 is King.
I agree with you. I'm not a big Glock fan either. But, I see them as utility guns. It's very dependable and 13+1 is a very good loadout in the king caliber, 45 ACP. I admit that after shooting some of everything through it with no malfunctions in about 1000 rds., it's on my bedside table every night. If I had to use it in self defense, I would rather for it to go to gun jail than one of my 1911's. There's no telling what damage would be done to a gun before you get it back.

I really believe Gaston Glock got the idea for the firing mechanism from a mechanical staple gun.

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not a big Glock fan. I only have a G19 for a garage gun. But seeing your response I might just have to try a G21 .45. for the hell of it. After all, .45 is King.
Quite honestly, if my hands weren't so small I would definitely have a Glock 21. I'd love a Sig 220 but again small hands short fingers make that too a no go for me

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
I agree with you. I'm not a big Glock fan either. But, I see them as utility guns. It's very dependable and 13+1 is a very good loadout in the king caliber, 45 ACP. I admit that after shooting some of everything through it with no malfunctions in about 1000 rds., it's on my bedside table every night. If I had to use it in self defense, I would rather for it to go to gun jail than one of my 1911's. There's no telling what damage would be done to a gun before you get it back.

I really believe Gaston Glock got the idea for the firing mechanism from a mechanical staple gun.
I'm going to rent a 21SF and 30SF and go from there. If it shoots good for me, I may get one. It won't break the bank anyway. ;) I have to keep up with the 1 a month club. :p

1wildpig

Fanatic
Yep ...
My gen 3 Glock 21 SF is a Tank !
Hard to go wrong with a Glock 21 ...
The gen 5 version looks interesting too...

My first Glock was the 21 back when they first come out...
I was hesitant to purchase as I was afraid it wouldn't shoot to point of aim with it's fixed sights... the gun store owner told me to take it and shoot it and if it didn't, just bring it back... I did, it did, I went back and bought it... However, I never used it that much being we were carrying revolvers on duty at the time... So it just got some off duty use and range fun...
I ended up trading it off... Sigh... A mistake I regretted because of it's accuracy and capacity.... later on, the SF version came out, wow, what a better feel and fit... but, I had already gone to 1911s by then...
Many years later, a guy had a gen3 21 SF and was looking for a G22, which I happen to have on hand just to sell, as I never cared for the . 40 personally ... we struck a deal and it got me the "Tank" I have now...

My G41 is more 1911ish in balance and feel with it's 5 inch barrel, ability to press check due to longer dust cover than frame, it is even a hair lighter... but, it also seems to have a bit more muzzle flip... even so, it does bedside duty with a Glock light / laser attached...

My gen 3 G30 is a chunk... but, a reliable one...
I use it when there's a greater chance of my carry gun getting bumped around or wet or something... Otherwise, my LW Ruger commander holds that spot...

If I had to pick just one, it'd probably be my G21 SF ... just don't tell the G41 !

Actually, about any of the 45 ACP caliber Glock pistols, except the model 36 (I just don't get along well with it), would / could be my choice... they each have their own particular benefits of size and feel in addition to being reliable and accurate...

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
While you guys are big fans of the 45acp and there is nothing wrong with it. If you go to the big frames units, I would go to the G20 10mm instead. You have a much wider range of ammo choices and anything that the G21 can do the G20 can do plus. If you run something like:

They will do the job.

1706378412985.gif

Latest posts