Why not the 1100?

OR3GUN

Sponsor
I'm not usually a soap box kind of guy, but it always seems that EVERY shotgun discussion lately becomes an opportunity to trash the Mossberg 930. I get it, only to the point where I remember it isn't still 2014. About three years ago I was part of a group of shooters ready to throw them in a dumpster and buy the new shotgun of the month, the FN SLP. Where is the SLP today?

Our first 930 part was prototyped at the last Crimson Trace Midnight 3-Gun Invitational. In fact, I was on a squad with a couple of FN sponsored shooters that had many problems with their shotguns (mostly Xrail related, if I recall). Our 930s ran flawlessly over both nights as a direct result of our new part. This was the beginning of OR3GUN doing what it can to make the most viable US made semi-auto shotgun work for 3-Gun.

Needless to say, we didn't throw the 930s into a dumpster. We made them work. Not everyone has figured that out yet, which is why we do what we can on a shoestring marketing budget to make that known, including sponsoring the Boomer Shooter jersey for the 2nd year in a row. (We briefly considered just making OUR Mossberg 930s work, but that just seemed mean.) We're small, but do what we can to contribute back to 3-Gun, even though a growing majority of our sales are to other genres of 930 owner.

The latest 3-Gun shotgun of the month is the Stoeger M3K. Despite inertia springs recently breaking at an alarming rate (replace with Benelli part), extractor issues (replace with a Benelli part) and mysterious bolt bounce and other reliability topics popping up (sounds familiar), it is becoming the latest entry level gun that others are predictably recommending to throw in the dumpster and buy a Benelli. I live about 3 hours from MOA Precision and have shot matches with them on occasion over the past couple years. They have made the Stoeger run right, thanks to the Benelli parts bin along with many of MOAs own creations where there was not a direct replacement. It is still an entry level gun with problems. Simply put, 3-Gun has become a self-sustaining hobby for more than one Oregonian now because entry level shotguns simply don't handle 3-Gun without some help. Period.

All of that said, as a group we like to support those that support 3-Gun. Do you know what best supports 3-Gun? Having a job so you can afford to shoot said 3-Gun. Anyone with ties to 3-Gun as a source of income is going to have a bias on equipment and some seem to take it to a militant level, personally invested or not. I would argue that we are all personally invested, but not many have thought it through.

The US is 5th in the world for 'median disposable income' at almost $31,000 US per year. That's the money we all use for 3-Gun. The more of that we all create for each other, the better we grow the shooting sports in the United States. Mossberg builds the 930 in two different US factories and employs many people that go out and buy stuff that helps to ensure that your own job is still there tomorrow. Some of these employees may even go out on the weekend and shoot 3-Gun with you. They might also (wisely) not tell you they work for Mossberg.

Turkey (where the Stoeger is made) is 36th in the world for 'median disposable income' at about $9,000 US. When you pay third world country wages you can dump cheap product in the US and force the competing US companies to cut corners for others to round off for you in the aftermarket. Stoeger's factory employees in Turkey are not out shooting 3-Gun with you or using their disposable income in any way shape or form to help you support your hobby. In fact, if you're curious to know what the Turkish citizenry as a whole spends their disposable income on, some research might be in order.

Something to think about before you make direct comparisons on US vs Turkish shotguns in the same price range.

William

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Indeed, very good stuff, and if anyone is running a 930 please contact or3gun. They seem to have found a way to make it competitive.

teddym90

Fanatic
Cool perspective from William, thank you! I am determined to run my 1100 for a little bit. Things have broken here & there but no major failure during a match yet (fingers crossed). Maybe I'll check for a 930 on the Classified if I have to abandon my 1100 ;)

Latest posts