Why not the 1100?

teddym90

Fanatic
Okay, this might reveal more than I'd like but as I'm just getting back in to the shooting sports and the 1100 was a great gun 20 years ago I have to ask. I posed this question to Mr. Garcia a week ago and his quick response was it's just not designed to run as quickly.

Can someone set me straight? I'm using one to get started because it was cheap and it works w/o jamming up which I'm seeing a lot of other guns do regularly (Versa Max / 930). Their issues could very well be ammo or poor gun maintenance so who knows there but I'm running the cheap Estate or Winchester ammo through mine w/o issue.

Thanks in advance folks!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
teddym90 said:
Okay, this might reveal more than I'd like but as I'm just getting back in to the shooting sports and the 1100 was a great gun 20 years ago I have to ask. I posed this question to Mr. Garcia a week ago and his quick response was it's just not designed to run as quickly.

Can someone set me straight? I'm using one to get started because it was cheap and it works w/o jamming up which I'm seeing a lot of other guns do regularly (Versa Max / 930). Their issues could very well be ammo or poor gun maintenance so who knows there but I'm running the cheap Estate or Winchester ammo through mine w/o issue.

Thanks in advance folks!
I think gas operated guns like the 1100 need to be maintained more religiously that inertia operated guns. I always had trouble with my 1100 cycling when it got dirty. My Benelli M1 doesn't get cleaned unless it is at the gunsmith (which is hardly ever)

Someone with more knowledge will be along shortly with other opinions

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I'm not an expert but I asked the same thing back in 2009 about the 1100. Nobody was using it by then despite its popularity in the 90's. One of the reasons as well as those mentioned above is that You have to install that goofy little fork thing on the 1100's lifter in the back of the loading port to get it to load at all.

If benny hill happens by he will have the historic on this gun.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Everyone has touched on the O-Rings being the weak point. Also the way the shell carrier is designed (lifter), you have to depress a button for loading. Dave's Metal Works has a solution for this but it's kinda ugly but, it works. I have installed a couple of these. Also these cycle pretty fast and if the magazine tube spring gets weak and you're running a loooong extension or have some coupled to get more shells in, it will hold the bolt open when you get to your last couple shells in the tube. They're not horrible guns but, there are better choices. All this being said I'm sure there are guys somewhere running them.

dennishoddy

Matt Rigsby said:
The 1100 has O-rings for the gas tube and when run fast, they tend to get too hot and melt.
A lot of that is because people replace the orings with Nitrile (Buna-n) rubber rings, which does have an upper temperature range of 300 degrees. Easily obtainable in a gun that is ran hard in a short period of time. Nitrile is not designed to be used on moving surfaces. Its designed to seal static applications.
The correct Oring to use on the 1100 is a fluorocarbon (viton) Its designed specifically to withstand movement and seal at the same time while withstanding higher temps.
There are other Oring materials out there, but they aren't really applicable as they are for specialty applications.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
dennishoddy said:
A lot of that is because people replace the orings with Nitrile (Buna-n) rubber rings, which does have an upper temperature range of 300 degrees. Easily obtainable in a gun that is ran hard in a short period of time. Nitrile is not designed to be used on moving surfaces. Its designed to seal static applications.
The correct Oring to use on the 1100 is a fluorocarbon (viton) Its designed specifically to withstand movement and seal at the same time while withstanding higher temps.
There are other Oring materials out there, but they aren't really applicable as they are for specialty applications.
Science.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I ran my Dad's old 1100 for a couple of years with the lifter from Dave's, an extended tube and even found a competition barrel for it. It was reliable if you keep the victor rings fresh in it.
After you're able to get a race ready Bennelli you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner though

teddym90

Fanatic
Thanks for all the feedback... I've been opening the loading port on mine and with all the tuning, it's run great. My only complaint is the forend is so thick I'm having trouble quad loading. I put about 500 rounds through it 2 weekends ago after a lot of tinkering and it ran reliably all weekend.

If I look at something new/different, are there any favorites besides the M2? I'm still drawn to some of these newer pre-tricked out models like the M3k & 930 that are going for under a grand but after seeing plenty of people struggle with malfunctions I'm leery.

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
teddym90 said:
If I look at something new/different, are there any favorites besides the M2? I'm still drawn to some of these newer pre-tricked out models like the M3k & 930 that are going for under a grand but after seeing plenty of people struggle with malfunctions I'm leery.
The M3K is a better IMO. I shot a 930 for my first 2.5yrs and it served me well. Most of the time! With that said I do have a JM Pro I am planning to sell.

DanB

Active Fanatic
I'm running an 1187, Dave's "gate", opened the port and run double orings. Cut the forearm back and have very few if any issues. Yes, I keep it clean, after every match, but I was brought up that way. Shoot it, you clean it. Granted, it heavier and not as slick as other options, but she is reliable and much less expensive. As a midpack shooter it fits me fine. I've seen other more " desirable" shotguns malfunction and cost significant time. The 1187 isn't much to look at but it's reliable and throws slugs like they are on rails, eats anything I feed it and have never had an orings issue. Works for me...That's all that matters to me. Functionality is simple...Shotgun for dummy....Fits me to a tee!😀

Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
teddym90 said:
Thanks for all the feedback... I've been opening the loading port on mine and with all the tuning, it's run great. My only complaint is the forend is so thick I'm having trouble quad loading. I put about 500 rounds through it 2 weekends ago after a lot of tinkering and it ran reliably all weekend.

The Stoeger M3000 seems to have taken over as the go to entry level shotgun from the Mossturd 930. The king of the castle is still the Nenelli M2. But like Matt said finding a used $500-700 Benelli M1 is still the best bargain.

benny hill

back in the 90's I won back to back so called nat. shotgun championship in alabama w/ my benelli M1. It was sponsored by remington and the rep's wanted me to shoot them at the 3-gun nats that year. they gave me 3 of the new tactical models, after doing everything I could to make them right, I shot the hell out of the for a month, worked well, so off to 3-gun nats in berry Ill. YEP, you guessed it, all 3 took a dump on me stage after stage, and thats why I shoot a benelli

teddym90

Fanatic
DanB said:
I'm running an 1187, Dave's "gate", opened the port and run double orings. Cut the forearm back and have very few if any issues. Yes, I keep it clean, after every match, but I was brought up that way. Shoot it, you clean it. Granted, it heavier and not as slick as other options, but she is reliable and much less expensive. As a midpack shooter it fits me fine. I've seen other more " desirable" shotguns malfunction and cost significant time. The 1187 isn't much to look at but it's reliable and throws slugs like they are on rails, eats anything I feed it and have never had an orings issue. Works for me...That's all that matters to me. Functionality is simple...Shotgun for dummy....Fits me to a tee!

Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk
That's basically where I am at as well. At least it draws fun comments running the old 1100 :)

teddym90

Fanatic
benny hill said:
back in the 90's I won back to back so called nat. shotgun championship in alabama w/ my benelli M1. It was sponsored by remington and the rep's wanted me to shoot them at the 3-gun nats that year. they gave me 3 of the new tactical models, after doing everything I could to make them right, I shot the hell out of the for a month, worked well, so off to 3-gun nats in berry Ill. YEP, you guessed it, all 3 took a dump on me stage after stage, and thats why I shoot a benelli
Ouch! That will definitely affect a guy's opinion!!

teddym90

Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
The Stoeger M3000 seems to have taken over as the go to entry level shotgun from the Mossturd 930. The king of the castle is still the Nenelli M2. But like Matt said finding a used $500-700 Benelli M1 is still the best bargain.
I"m noticing that. There's one at the local shop for $600 that keeps catching my eye. The gun that caught my eye the most times with guys having trouble was the Versa Max and after picking on up I feel like you've gotta have some pretty big pipes to swing those things around with any sort of quickness so that's one off my list for sure :)

Latest posts