What should I practice before first 3 gun match?

Rockon71385

Founding Member
Going to try my hand at 3 gun next month. Most of you guys know I've shot a fair amount of pistol, but I have no experience with shotgun or rifle matches. Is there anything you would recommend practicing before my first match? If I am taking someone to their first pistol match, I'll probably teach them grip, stance, draw, and reload techniques just so they don't feel completely unprepared. What should I be practicing? I'm guessing shotgun reloads, maybe mounting the rifle and shotgun and some transition drills. Is there any else, or anything that trumps those?

Thanks.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
From the lessons I've learned, some things do take priority. Shotgun loading for sure, as that make s a big difference between competitors. Depending on the proclivities of the stage designer and depending on what rifle you're using, remember your sight/boreline offset in case there are close rifle paper with no shoots or hardcover overlayed or painted on. Overall, shotgun reloading and transition seems to be the things that separates people, because misses with rifle and pistol can be made up quickly, while a miss or two with a shotgun may require an extra reload somewhere.

It also can't hurt to practice mounting and abandoning guns, as one little misstep like leaving the safety off when abandoning the gun can cause a bit of irritation. Just as I'm sure you tell new shooters at a pistol match, don't worry about being fast. Be accurate and safe and you'll do well.

Rockon71385

Founding Member
Could you elaborate on abandoning guns? They usually go into those barrels right? Is there a specific way of doing it?

gng4life

Active Fanatic
The two things that pop out to me, especially when I first started, was shotgun reloading and knowing your rifle hits from 5 yards to 500 yards. The SG takes the longest to load and can really make a difference. The rifle shots are crucial since if you don't engage long range targets, there's a heavy penalty (most of the time). If you take forever getting your long range shots, there's a huge time penalty. You're pretty good with pistol so I would focus on these two things at first.

gng4life

Active Fanatic
Robbie said:
Could you elaborate on abandoning guns? They usually go into those barrels right? Is there a specific way of doing it?
Check the rules and talk to the MD to ensure what they are wanting, it's different at a lot of places. Usually you dump them in a barrel or box, unloaded or on safe.

As far as a way to do it - Safe but fast :)

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Don't be too worried about grounding your weapon. Mike will always go over the intent of the stage in the walk through if you shoot the OKCGC match. The main thing to remember is always ground/dump a safe weapon. The chamber does not have to be empty as long as the gun is on safe. Always ground long guns muzzle down if in a barrel, and muzzle towards the berm if on a table or something flat. With your pistol experience I think you'll be fine. For practice I would recommend shotgun loading as suggested. It tends to be the main area of time that you can improve upon when you first start.

Nit a bad idea to get a good zero on your slugs. Sounds like they may be used. You should know your pattern in buck just in case.
We don't have long range anymore beyond 100yds. But , Mike can test your nerves shooting clays at 30 or 40 yards from time to time. Shooting rifle from prone or kneeling supported and unsupported is not a bad idea either
Make sure your gear is buttoned down...running from time to time can be part of the design. You wanna make sure you have a pistol and shotgun shells when you get where you're going
Reloading is always helpful practice, but sometimes we have none and sometimes a lot...just varies
You'll be fine Robbie...Welcome to your second home for your paycheck. ..3Gun!

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
You'll pick it up quick at your level of shooting.

Practice loading your shotgun. Since it's all bay style remember your 2" sight offset on rifle.

Practicing hitting the safety fast before ditching your long guns is a an easy skill to have in the subconscious minds skill set.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Robbie, You will be fine because you are a good shooter and already conscious of safety.

A skill that a lot of people outside of 3-gun haven't done much of is loading a shotgun [kind of] fast. Do you know what type of caddies you plan on using yet? Weak Hand? Load 2? Load 4? Doesn't really matter, but as everyone said, practice at loading it and also practice loading it while moving. YouTube if full of people loading a shotgun standing in their garage in front of a camera, but as you know from your experience with USPSA, loading any weapon while standing still is slow.

Something else that might be new for you is grounding a pistol. Most of the time it will be in a bucket or a small tray, but it has to be done safely. You gun must be empty or on safe. Except in the case of a Glock or other weapon with no external safety. They can be grounded while "hot" but always ground it with the muzzle downrange. Sounds easy enough but if you get in a hurry the muzzle can turn around and point up-range.

Like Jesse said, practice clicking the long gun safety on as well. Grounding an un-safe gun will end your first match early

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Damn it, that's what I said. I need to learn to be more articulate and use more multisyllabic words. As it is now, the two multisyllabic words I know are "articulate" and "multisyllabic". I feel validated. OOH, WAIT!!! I also know "validated".

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
David Marlow said:
Damn it, that's what I said. I need to learn to be more articulate and use more multisyllabic words. As it is now, the two multisyllabic words I know are "articulate" and "multisyllabic". I feel validated. OOH, WAIT!!! I also know "validated".
I didn't read anything you wrote after the word "proclivities"

David Marlow said:
you and I should only post using one syllable words for a whole week

22+1

Well-Known Fanatic
Put all your gear on and run around, lay down, and see what falls off.
One time I ran up some stairs on a tower and all my slugs fell out of my shell holders. I'm just saying.

Rockon71385

Founding Member
Thanks guys. I'm planning on using some california competition works caddies I'm going to borrow from my dad. I think they hold 4 each, but it could be 6. I was planning on trying to learn to load weak hand first since that's what I'm set up for. I think I remember watching a video of Kurt doing it years ago.

Latest posts