what do you do when you dq?

dennishoddy

59nolimit said:
I am MD of our local 3gun matches and tend to push myself harder at my own matches which has in turn got me a couple DQ's. Hard to leave early and sure wouldn't set a good example being the MD. I have only had to DQ one other shooter so far and he hasn't been back since. It's a shame shice he was one I could count on to be there for setup each and every time but I couldn't just "let it go"!! His brother still shoots with us and is a very active participant in setup and stage planning. Hopefully he will finally shake it off and come back but its been about a full year now since he has shot with us.
That does suck that he took it so hard. Some do.
We had a dad and son come out to shoot our steel challenge matches. Dad sent one over the berm that earned him a DQ. They have never came back.
Sad because a DQ is a learning thing, and its not personal. Shooter made a mistake and they will likely never do it again.

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
That does suck that he took it so hard. Some do.
We had a dad and son come out to shoot our steel challenge matches. Dad sent one over the berm that earned him a DQ. They have never came back.
Sad because a DQ is a learning thing, and its not personal. Shooter made a mistake and they will likely never do it again.
Yeah I am not sure if he was really upset or if he was embarrassed and hasn't got over it. He was taking a sight picture down range with his pistol and new red dot while resetters were still down range and not under command of a RO. Very bad NO NO!!

jeffhughes

Well-Known Fanatic
59nolimit said:
Yeah I am not sure if he was really upset or if he was embarrassed and hasn't got over it. He was taking a sight picture down range with his pistol and new red dot while resetters were still down range and not under command of a RO. Very bad NO NO!!
That would just about earn him a permaban....

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
jeffhughes said:
That would just about earn him a permaban....
True! It was a very bad idea on his part and not not a accident! I never considered banning anyone unless they were just @$$holes. Luckily we haven't had that guy show up!!

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Jamie Meyer said:
Stick around and help paste targets and reset like everyone has said!! Learn from it but no reason to bail just cause your upset. We are a team and we all stick together....good or bad!!
This is what I did many years ago after dq'ing on the first stage of the day, but if I hadn't carpooled...lol

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
Wished I found this thread earlier. I screwed up last Sunday, 5th match ever. Dumb inexperience showed through. I'm right handed, facing up range, buzzer, turned to my left, and I began to unholster before completed the turn around to face down range. So embarrassed. Didn't know what I was supposed to do afterwards. Thankfully someone (Cookie Monster tshirt) offered a tip & pointed out how to not make mistake again. I stood back & watched a few & then slinked home. I've been kicking myself all week about it. Wish I had read this before & I would have known I could stayed, watched or helped, maybe learned some more.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
KellyB said:
Wished I found this thread earlier. I screwed up last Sunday, 5th match ever. Dumb inexperience showed through. I'm right handed, facing up range, buzzer, turned to my left, and I began to unholster before completed the turn around to face down range. So embarrassed. Didn't know what I was supposed to do afterwards. Thankfully someone (Cookie Monster tshirt) offered a tip & pointed out how to not make mistake again. I stood back & watched a few & then slinked home. I've been kicking myself all week about it. Wish I had read this before & I would have known I could stayed, watched or helped, maybe learned some more.
Great attitude, every dq should be a learning experience

dennishoddy

Had my first DQ after many years of shooting competitions a couple months ago. Finger completely off the trigger, witnessed by the RO and the peanut gallery when the gun went off on its own. It was pointed down range, but at a slight upward angle causing the round to go over the berm. It wasn't expected at all.

The gun had a new trigger installed by me that had been through a couple of matches with no issues. Thought it had a little too much reset, so not knowing how to get that out, took it to a smith that has a good rep for trigger work on rifles. Second stage on the match is where it fired on its own. Stayed with the squad the rest of the day RO'ing and keeping scores.

Returned the pistol to the Smith and got it back the next day. The story was a spring was installed backwards. Personally I'm not buying that, but the gun has been through two more matches without any issues.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
When I got my DQ I stayed for the rest of the match, but didn't hang around for the prize ceremony.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
KellyB said:
The cookie monster shirt was Josh (Joshsmash on boomer).
It was a simple mistake anyone could easily do. At least it was a local match with a $15 entry fee. I broke the 180° and got DQ'd a few months back at the production sectional in Tulsa on my last stage. Went for food and beers afterwards since I already had a hotel paid for.

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Matt for the Cookie Monster name. And I'm not mad at you. There's rules for a reason. I think you are on to something with the beers afterwards. That could have totally helped. Ha!

Latest posts