What 1911 brands to avoid?

Newtire

Fanatic
My experience is pretty much focused on Colt. I have, over the years, owned a couple of Kimber 1911's, but sold them. My EDC for many years has been a Colt LW Officer's Model, and I own a few Gov't models and two LW Commanders. Never unhappy with any of them. Stick with Colt...
I have a couple of Tisas pistols and one is their SS Match pistol. Odd, but the "Match" pistol had .007" slop in the barrel bushing between the barrel and the bushing. I called EGW and for $33.00, they seme a close fitting bushing. Now, that Tisas is a great shooting pistol. I bought a Rock Island that shot great groups right out of the box. Now, I own 2- one in .45acp and the other in 9mm. Both are very accurate and dependable so far.

Not like I really needed another 1911 but plucked down the $ for a 9mm Fusion. It really shoots-great right out of the bag it came with! Tax refund came and since I liked the looks of the Long slide Fusion. 45acp in the Bud's catalog, am going to pick that up tomorrow. So far, all these 1911's function with no hiccups. Have shot a few factory 230 gr. hardball loads but mostly my own handloads with powder coated 200 gr. SWC's and 225 gr. Lyman RN. They all shoot reliably using any of these, loaded between 700 to 850 fps or so. As with any semi-auto I've owned, might need tinkering with the load a bit to see what functions and shoots best accuracy-wise.

Newtire

Fanatic
I have a couple of Tisas pistols and one is their SS Match pistol. Odd, but the "Match" pistol had .007" slop in the barrel bushing between the barrel and the bushing. I called EGW and for $33.00, they sent me a close fitting bushing. Now, that Tisas is a great shooting pistol. I bought a Rock Island that shot great groups right out of the box. Now, I own 2- one in .45acp and the other in 9mm. Both are very accurate and dependable so far.

Not like I really needed another 1911 but plucked down the $ for a 9mm Fusion. It really shoots-great right out of the bag it came with! Tax refund came and since I liked the looks of the Long slide Fusion. 45acp in the Bud's catalog, am going to pick that up tomorrow. So far, all these 1911's function with no hiccups. Have shot a few factory 230 gr. hardball loads but mostly my own handloads with powder coated 200 gr. SWC's and 225 gr. Lyman RN. They all shoot reliably using any of these, loaded between 700 to 850 fps or so. As with any semi-auto I've owned, might need tinkering with the load a bit to see what functions and shoots best accuracy-wise.

Jhavers

Fanatic
Then you're denying yourself some quality guns at 1/3 the price of comparables. My Tisas' are fantastic quality & fit. I just got their Manta. Totally forged. Only MIM part is the RSA cap. Titanium firing pin. $399. Positive waves, Moriarty.
Well I appear to be missing out on some good guns. Always heard bad about metallurgy and quality issues with Turkish guns. However I've not actually never tried any. Sounds like I'm missing the boat and I need to try some. Thank you

Jhavers

Fanatic
I've five guns from Turkey. Each one of them are outstanding. I've two Tisas 1911s, two Caniks, and one Tristar (which is a renamed Canik).

IMO, you can be a snob and own Turkish guns (not that I'm a snob).
I can mentioned to another member I've never actually tried anything from there. But it sounds like I am missing out. So I probably need to try some and stop listening to so much negative feedback

Latest posts