What’s Your Next Project

Ethank

Active Fanatic
Currently working on a Springfield lightweight champion. I just got done checkering the frame and flush cutting the slide stop. Still have to finish profiling the slide stop a bit. Waiting on a package from brownells and next will be a Stan Chen maxbevel. Also contoured the stock safeties a bit. 67C7F976-841B-4CC2-86FD-6C4C21651C5E.jpeg9178047E-208B-4C73-8F26-07748FA6BB6B.jpegA857020C-6BB9-4684-8C16-7276D081675B.jpeg

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Currently working on a Springfield lightweight champion. I just got done checkering the frame and flush cutting the slide stop. Still have to finish profiling the slide stop a bit. Waiting on a package from brownells and next will be a Stan Chen maxbevel. Also contoured the stock safeties a bit. View attachment 2381View attachment 2382View attachment 2383
Your checkering layout looks good. It can be cut about twice as deep though if you choose.

SteveO

Well-Known Fanatic
Currently working on a Springfield lightweight champion. I just got done checkering the frame and flush cutting the slide stop. Still have to finish profiling the slide stop a bit. Waiting on a package from brownells and next will be a Stan Chen maxbevel. Also contoured the stock safeties a bit. View attachment 2381View attachment 2382View attachment 2383
Very nice Ethan, You slide stop countersink very smooth. I am still using a hand chamfer and then buff out. I will be going to machine soon.. Agree with Azpoolguy as well. Checkering looks very even, but can still be pointed a bit. But you about go her beat now. Great hand checkering job.. Better than any I've done for sure.

Ethank

Active Fanatic
Your checkering layout looks good. It can be cut about twice as deep though if you choose.
Thanks for the tip. Worked on it for another hour or so last night and it's starting to point up. I have a harder time with aluminum coming to full depth that steel frames for some reason.

Steve, the chamfer on the frame was very easy to do on the mill. Coax indicator and it was a 5 minute job.

SteveO

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the tip. Worked on it for another hour or so last night and it's starting to point up. I have a harder time with aluminum coming to full depth that steel frames for some reason.

Steve, the chamfer on the frame was very easy to do on the mill. Coax indicator and it was a 5 minute job.
Yeah I agree alum frames are or can be a bear, too soft so you gotta kind of kid glove em towards the end, I'd much rather do carbon frame or stainless even.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah I agree alum frames are or can be a bear, too soft so you gotta kind of kid glove em towards the end, I'd much rather do carbon frame or stainless even.
I agree on the going easily at the end on Alum to get the points dialed in. It always takes way more time then expected to get full points. When i think I'm done i go over two or three more times and always make more progress.

I'm having no problem checkering my SS project though. I've never used file chalk and have had no issues with SS or Alum clogging. I just keep the file clean with a wire brush.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
9E50B326-869A-4691-BBCB-73E8498B4021.jpeg I bought an older Sako 22 rifle. I figured I'd pillar bed the stock, do a trigger job, maybe install a Lilja Barrel. That plan went away after I shot it for the first time: 5 shots at 50 yds.

It's the best shooting rifle I've ever owned. But no project here.

I did get the trigger to 14 oz with a little experimentation.

Other than that, I saw a thread on 22 conversion kits for 1911s. I'm thinking that's a really cool thing. I was going to buy an entire 1911 in 22 Cal. But how sweet would it be to have my DW frame and trigger and shoot 22?

SteveO

Well-Known Fanatic
Well here is a Stan Chen Gen II magwell installed.. I also fashioned the grips to fit, added challis bushings and screws, and bead blasted the entire pistol to match.. I am pretty happy with the way this turned out and very impressed with the quality and fit of this master craftsman's (Stan Chen) magwell what a great addition to any gun.. I know it's just one part, but wanted to also show the bead blasting as well. I am also open for suggestions on various glass bead that might net some different types of results. Currently this is been done with a 50-70 ballotini bead.. Valor Gen II Magwell 001.JPG Valor Gen II Magwell 003.JPG Valor Gen II Magwell 010.JPG Valor Gen II Magwell 011.JPG Valor Gen II Magwell 018.JPG Valor Gen II Magwell 021.JPG

Latest posts