What’s keepin your interest sans ammo?

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you for the equipment info.

was it one shot one life saver or one of ten attempts? 3/10, 10/10?

I apologize, inquiring mind and all that,
Oh heavens no. More like one in 50 attempts, 2 if luckier.

i was really doubtful too John . But when I saw the rigs these guys use for competition , it becomes much less about being a good shooter and more about reading conditions . The front rest and rear rest practically lock the gun into position

check out this. Rear rest. the stock rests on rollers for frictionless free recoil. Height and windage can be fine tuned and locked with a joystick or knob.

sorry, I just noticed the link didn't go to the exact page . Go to the main website and look for Benchrest. It's the last one on that page .

The front rests or combo rests on the Killough website can't compare to the one I saw . It had adjustment knobs as fine as a micrometer .

Last edited:

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
Is there an ammo shortage??
I bought cheap and stacked deep a loooong time ago. I haven't ever paid over $8 for 9mm or $15 for 45 acp. I don't shoot as much as I did two years ago, mainly due to cancelled events in the past year, but I get a couple of hundred rd down range per month.

hawxtar45

Fanatic
Rooster, anything by Weihrauch or Diana is tough to beat. I own both breakbarrels and underlevers by both. The Weihrauch 97k is my favorite underlever and my Beeman R7(Weihrauch HW30) is my fave breakbarrel. Both are spring piston powered which is a totally different shooting experience. It takes time to figure them out. I will warn you. Once you start shooting air rifles, it's easy to get sucked down the air gun rabbit hole. Mine seem to keep multiplying. Go figure.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
Rooster, anything by Weihrauch or Diana is tough to beat. I own both breakbarrels and underlevers by both. The Weihrauch 97k is my favorite underlever and my Beeman R7(Weihrauch HW30) is my fave breakbarrel. Both are spring piston powered which is a totally different shooting experience. It takes time to figure them out. I will warn you. Once you start shooting air rifles, it's easy to get sucked down the air gun rabbit hole. Mine seem to keep multiplying. Go figure.
Thank you! I am seriously considering that! I never thought this would happen to me, but I have gotten so totally immersed in 22, I really don't miss shooting 9 or 45. I could go full into 22 and sell my other stuff if costs were too prohibitive and I'd be happy going deep into just that. . Of course I'd rather be able to shoot the other stuff , but other than the principle involved being an objectionable violation , I could find joy in 22s.

I have read just a little on air rifles and I know they can shoot little tiny groups . I don't know much about the pistols , but it appears there is an air gun clone for everything . I could see that as a lot of fun learning and studying that stuff.

I know this is a 1911 forum @hauxstar45, so if you get into stuff that you are really jazzed about in the air gun stuff, please pm me . Also if you have a preferred air gun forum , please let me know . I'm ready for a new rabbit hole . This situation will hopefully straighten out . Until it does, other interests are waiting to be developed !!

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Smelting bullet metal here lately this week to start casting again, we have not been reloading much in awhile, trading some components with other reloaders getting rid of some I will never use again and helping them out also. In the last month I have acquired almost 7500 rounds of 22 LR ammo for some primers and powder and 4000 SP primers for LG rifle primers with more coming soon.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
We are shooting Saturday if it dries up enough for it, if not a bullet casting day for us and to help another forum member here that helped us last year, 9mm & 45 this time. Our bullet cost figures about 1.785 per 125 gr 9mm rounded to .02 with hitech coating buying in bulk, I read this week some are charging $150.00 per 1000 retail, not counting our time or equipment cost, as we have had most of it for many years. I know I bought my Star Sizer in the 70's. Using 8 cavity molds with 2 casting it don't take long thankfully. Loading on 2 presses all equipped one loading 9mm the other 45 it goes by fast on 650's. Or 1 cast the other resize bullets we do both ways. Looking to load 1000 of each or more in a session..

jepr53

New Fanatic
Hello everyone. It's great that some have the time and the ammo to still enjoy time at the range. I have not had time to hit the range much lately as I purchased a home on 5 acres in east Texas and have been driving back and forth from my home in central Florida doing all the moving and set up.. Already met the neighbor and was invited to a hog hunt on his farm, that's a great way to welcome a new neighbor. Once I get set up I will be shooting up some of my 12,000 rds of 22lr I stocked up on ,since I have 5 22 firearms to pick from. The plus of the new place is I can actually shoot on the property. As far as shooting a lifesaver, I may have to give it a try.

WanderingMarshal

New Fanatic
The ones on the top and bottom (first pic), mostly. The Remmy (top) has the .45 Colt conversion cylinder in the pic, but I have two .44 C&B cylinders. (Won't shoot my precious .45 Colt ammo at the moment!) The '51 Navy is full time .36 C&B. I have loads of powder, caps, and lead. Still have plenty of .45 ACP (for now) for my 1911, too. Still also have a decent amount of .357 and .38 ammo for my Henry, and 12 gauge shells for my single shot ATI, so those too, on occasion.

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_160701916.jpg
    IMG_20210303_160701916.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200526_172251667.jpg
    IMG_20200526_172251667.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210118_194336279.jpg
    IMG_20210118_194336279.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
We did get to shoot Saturday and range was packed also new member orientation plus a rifle match we had the west end almost to our selves 50 yd and under bays we shot slightly under 350 rounds, much ,more 9mm observed shot yesterday than in awhile and none but us picked up any brass, not that many reload it seems anymore, planning a reloading day this week for sure planning on loading 1000 each 9 and 45. and my friend also same.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The MR 52 is the 600 yard scaled down HP target for 200 yards Slow fire prone.

I shot with a NM M1A last match of the day, 200 yards 20 rounds for score. With a bunch of Richards who finished taking shooting taking turns watching
me shoot & oooing & ahhhing . I shot a 194 -11X out of a possable 200 points. Good shooting :eek: ? A HM should clean it at 600 & 200.
x ring 3" 5 ring 37" 10 ring 7" 9 ring 13" 8 ring 19" 7 ring 25" 6 ring 31

Not a lifesaver hole but even iron sights work well if you do your part. Do everything the same as you did the shot before, & before
Comp can be so boring from doing the same thing time after time. You know if you missed something because you quit, & start all over again.

I got my wife a mini 30 to shoot for another M1 Garand cost $147.00 o_O Total cost after my great idea. 1 NM, M1A, the leather coat,
stool, all the gear that goes along with shooting High Power Comp. Around $2,500 for that old M1 LOL.

She is a Master class shooter but the wild part was when she & I shot a regional over at Oak Ridge Tn.
The 3rd day after 2 full days of Matches Sunday was 1000 yards matches for Scoped & Irons.

When Mrs. A was sharing MREs with the AMU down pulling pit duty. She met a Gunny who gave her the exact clicks she needed to get on target
with a 14 & White Box Match 173gr FMJ Military Sniper loads. You see the 168gr 2200 bullets would tumble before 1000 yards.

Now talk about a very lucky girl her first sighter at 1000 yards 13:30 hours was a center X Damn!!! The whole AMU was all fighting
for a look at what that Women did on her first shot. Remember these AMU guys are real Snipers & it's 1 shot, 1 kill with them.
They the AMU bought the Pizza & Beer at Big Eds that night, they called her little Annie Oakridge LOL.

Hardly a lifesaver hole, but the Rifles we have today make the early Comp rifles of 30 years ago look like hunting guns LOL.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
The MR 52 is the 600 yard scaled down HP target for 200 yards Slow fire prone.

I shot with a NM M1A last match of the day, 200 yards 20 rounds for score. With a bunch of Richards who finished taking shooting taking turns watching
me shoot & oooing & ahhhing . I shot a 194 -11X out of a possable 200 points. Good shooting :eek: ? A HM should clean it at 600 & 200.
x ring 3" 5 ring 37" 10 ring 7" 9 ring 13" 8 ring 19" 7 ring 25" 6 ring 31

Not a lifesaver hole but even iron sights work well if you do your part. Do everything the same as you did the shot before, & before
Comp can be so boring from doing the same thing time after time. You know if you missed something because you quit, & start all over again.

I got my wife a mini 30 to shoot for another M1 Garand cost $147.00 o_O Total cost after my great idea. 1 NM, M1A, the leather coat,
stool, all the gear that goes along with shooting High Power Comp. Around $2,500 for that old M1 LOL.

She is a Master class shooter but the wild part was when she & I shot a regional over at Oak Ridge Tn.
The 3rd day after 2 full days of Matches Sunday was 1000 yards matches for Scoped & Irons.

When Mrs. A was sharing MREs with the AMU down pulling pit duty. She met a Gunny who gave her the exact clicks she needed to get on target
with a 14 & White Box Match 173gr FMJ Military Sniper loads. You see the 168gr 2200 bullets would tumble before 1000 yards.

Now talk about a very lucky girl her first sighter at 1000 yards 13:30 hours was a center X Damn!!! The whole AMU was all fighting
for a look at what that Women did on her first shot. Remember these AMU guys are real Snipers & it's 1 shot, 1 kill with them.
They the AMU bought the Pizza & Beer at Big Eds that night, they called her little Annie Oakridge LOL.

Hardly a lifesaver hole, but the Rifles we have today make the early Comp rifles of 30 years ago look like hunting guns LOL.
1000 yards ? I think the lifesaver shot is easier . With a 60x scope the hole looks like a hubcap .

You really gotta know your stuff to shoot 1000 yds ! The size of a lifesaver hole at 50 yards is like hitting a 5" target at 1000 yds ...except you got all that distance where wind weather etc can make your bullet dance .

Congrats to Mrs A1!

Latest posts