What’s keepin your interest sans ammo?

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
What are y'all doing to fill in the time created by the great ammo shortage ?

Ive really taken up 22lr , both pistol and rifle . I've gotten as obsessed with it as I am with 1911s . I can find ammo every once in a while. Sometimes it's $10 a box, but it feeds the need.

I had an old Ruger Mark IV ( old to me) that I updated with $800 worth of aftermarket parts . It was a fun project . (I think the gun cost me less than $400 )

Guys at my club are making the best of it with 22 rifles . We have game cards with the top row is tums, the second row is aspirin , and the third row is baby aspirin . It's a lot of fun and not as hard as it sounds
A baby aspirin is about the size of a 22. So anything inside a .44" center to center group blows up the baby aspirin . We do this at 50 yards and the good guys do it at 100.

The game that gets down to the nut cutting is where you try to shoot through the hole in a lifesaver candy , without breaking the candy . It's like threading a needle . Again the starting point is 50 yards , and the big dogs can do them out at 100. They might get one or two out of 50 .

The other game I'm playing is clay shooting. I shot a couple rounds of trap today and really enjoyed myself and the company at the club. I barely have enough loading supplies to get me through august, so I might need to slow down on that front.

So while I can't afford to burn through ammo for 9 or 45, I have been able to do some other shooting related stuff that have opened my eyes to other fun games .

Im rationing supplies nonetheless. I really am not interested in air guns as A next step.

So what's everyone doing to feed the need? Any new interests come out of the ammo shortage for anyone ?

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I know that while I have a nice supply of 45 and 9mm, I don't know how long this bs will last. So I'm cautious with my range time, still shooting tho. And I agree, 22 is a great and fun way to stay at it. It'll be gopher season (ha) here soon and I'll use ALOT of 22 during it.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
What's keeping my interest sans ammo ? Look at my avatar .
That is a passion of days gone by for me . Where I live, odds of being clipped by a texting driver are just too high . My last ride , i Was in the left turn lane ( in the left side of the left turn lane . A guy in a 67 Chevy impala blows past me , missing my leg by what felt like inches, blew the red light, and went off into a ditch .

id love to ride again , but I'll need to move to a rural location .

Im envious Mike. There's nothing like a day ride through the twisties to clear the mind .

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Not much difference still shooting weekly and matches, a big bullet casting day coming this week again then reloading days, we stocked up very well on components and also 22 ammo last year before all this hit when we saw it coming, so we will be shooting .04 9mm & 45 a very long time here, all the indicators were very plain as to what was coming and it did so and add the election unknowns and bingo you got it.

PanHandlerFL

Well-Known Fanatic
7 year old Me: Fishing and .22lr bolt action!
58 year old Me: Bow fishing and nicer 22lr bolt action!
I used to spear fish, thought of taking it up again...then they pulled in a Great White Shark beach fishing at Pensacola Beach (tourists, families....you know, bait!) and decided bow fishing is as aggressive a fisherman as I want to be at my age.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I feel like I'm in my 20s starting a new Orchard & Vineyards so many holes to dig :eek: .

I really feel like I'm 107 with complications LOL.
Been riding my Chainsaws cutting out old fruit trees & getting ready to do what I did 30 years ago o_O>> dig them in all over again..
Man those Echos & Makita gas saws got heavy over the last few years, but they do the job right fast.

Organic fruit & vegetables sell better today than ever in the 49 years I have been growing Organic, everything sells so fast today.
So that's what I'm doing now with 0 fake news to waste my time. I just watch old Cowboy & Indian westerns, gone back in time 4 now.

Happy to say I did prepare for myself & my Son so were ok with ammo & reloading supplies + spares, springs etc.
US Army born & raised, it's very hard to take the US Army out of the Boy, I was born Semper Fi, Be prepared, US Army Boy Scouts.
You have heard an Army runs on their stomach? Well really it's Spares & plenty of ammo that helps you keep that food for you, ya know.

It good to see how you all have chosen to save your minds for much more than stinking Politics, there will come a day when you
will be needed for your Country. Stay strong, stay sharp, & always believe there were & are great men & women who did the
right thing for their country when they were needed. Let the hate kill the willing idiots Hate makes you sick, o_O yep it can.

Otherwise you will sink into the madness that grips those who belong to the Puppet masters, aka the Godless Communist hoards.

My you all be healthy & happy, this is not the first time America has been in hot water, just remember what happened to those
who attacked America before. Not remembering history can get you into big trouble. ;)

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
Lazar inserts and Lazar activated targets................Mine even has a shot timer so you can track your holster to hit times.
TR
Those things are a blast ! My buddy has those with multiple targets in his basement . We shoot targets while just hanging out . I just learned about the inserts. I had no idea you could use one of your real handguns and use the insert to fire. My thumb gets a little raw cocking the hammer so much . But it is awesome to have real trigger time with feedback on hits.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm good on reloading supplies, dependent on how long this all lasts????? Meanwhile, still loading and shooting and shooting 22s

Also, playing guitar still, now only in local Praise & Worship bands and , like Mike, still ride my mc a fair bit. But we live in a non populated area, still theres plenty of stupid to go around. I wouldn't ride in densely populated areas any longer

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
So glad I had /have an ample supply of components..(after 40 + yrs. of loading, learned to stock up)
I've been loading, shooting & getting ready to do some riding.
Have to avoid high traffic times, (rush hrs) to get any enjoyment from a ride.
Decided I need to actually ride the dirt bike I bought years ago ( KLX 400 aka DRZ 400) and also take out my
shotguns & shoot them. Has been probably 10 yrs since any have been fired.

also need to finish putting the '86 GL 1200A back together, so it's ride able, then put the VFR 750 on the lift
& figure out why it cooks the regulator/rectifier when running...then there's the stuff I need to do on & around the house..

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Threading a life saver at 100 yards with a 22??.........count me skeptical.

"the good guys can do it"........implying there's more than one person at this one range on the same day who can shoot through the center of a lifesaver at 100 yards............

what equipment? What ammo?? Indoors or outdoors?

hitting 2" plates.........sure,

But through and through lifesavers at 100 yards sounds like urban legend to me

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
Threading a life saver at 100 yards with a 22??.........count me skeptical.

"the good guys can do it"........implying there's more than one person at this one range on the same day who can shoot through the center of a lifesaver at 100 yards............

what equipment? What ammo?? Indoors or outdoors?

hitting 2" plates.........sure,

But through and through lifesavers at 100 yards sounds like urban legend to me
Seen one guy do it with my own beady eyes. He claimed to see others do it.

The Rifle was a Vudoo with a Grayboe stock, and a variable power Vortex scope that maxed out at 60 X. I think the entire rig topped $5K. I'm not sure what ammo, but I do know the Vudoo's chamber was cut specifically for Center-X so I'm betting that is what he used. It was at an outdoor range, on a dead calm day that I saw it happen. The range is in a valley, so effects of air currents are minimal. If it helps make you less skeptical, they were the Jumbo Lifesavers.

Oh I forgot to mention, the benchers rig for the front was probably over $1000, and the rear rest was also adjustable ( not a bag) I think it cost about $600. They have one of the rear rest setups on Killough website. It is really very cool.

Latest posts