Went to the range today with my Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
At first I went to Colonial Shooting Academy, here in Richmond, VA --- but I noticed some rather "unsettling attitudes" among the RSO's and other guys behind the counter. (translation: "range nazi"). I boldly decided to gather my things from the counter and said, "Uh, thanks guys, but never mind..." and I walked out!

I drove up to Winding Brook Shooting Range in Ashland, VA along I-95 and directly across the street from Bass Pro Shop. That place is incredible! Way more relaxed, way more cleaner, and the RSO is a former Marine and is actually hilarious! If you are also a veteran, he will jokingly mess with you, poke fun, etc.. Gotta love a sense of humor from a RSO! :cool:

I used the homemade target (as seen below) that I printed on my wife's white cardstock paper, and had a great time, but then I learned some major differences with eye dominance, hand dexterity, etc... I wanted to try and shoot right handed, and try to get my right eye to take over and/or compensate. Wow... :eek:

AS PER MY POST ON FACEBOOK:

"Just got home about 10-15 minutes ago. Now I have to clean my Rock Island 1911...
No target to bring home and brag about. I was a bit embarrassed, as I was trying something new:

FACT: I am left eye dominant and naturally shoot lefty.

1. I was trying to shoot right handed, both eyes open, hoping to get my right eye to compensate. All my shots were all over the left side of the target rings.
  2. I switched my stance, turned 90°, let go with my left hand, and shot one handed with my right hand and only then could I see my right eye start to compensate. But I still splattered bullet holes all over the target, with embarrassing results. :(
  3. Giving up the silly idea of shooting righty, I switched back lefty, and instantly my left eye took over, and I was more relaxed, shooting in the normal isosceles stance, left handed, both eyes open, etc... and was right on target.
  4. But once again, I had a silly idea of now switching my stance 90° again, and letting go with my right hand, so I was shooting one handed, lefty, and again, I was all over the place with embarrassing results."

---------------------------------------------------------------

In summary: I just need more practice to hold the full size 1911 steady, if I'm ever going to shoot it one handed!

Here is that target that I created, printed out, and used:

z8dgIwI.jpg

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
I have tried weak side... I am among the normal right handers …. my results were Simi Similar to yours, both eyes open same as you, but I can shoot well using my non-dominate left eye while using right hand to shoot if I close my right eye

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks,

My beautiful RIA now has approx. 900 - 950 rounds and still no FTF, FTE, snafu, fubar, etc... Just an amazing, inexpensive 1911 for the money!
:cool:

All I've shot out of it is 230gr "ball" ammo, and only 1 mag of Rem Golden Sabers (just to see how it would do cycling through JHP rounds - no problems!), and then back to 230gr "ball" ammo, box after box after box after box.

The RSO (former Marine) at the range loved the "Coastie" grips on my RIA and commented that he's never seen checkered grips with the USCG logo before. We teased each other about our own branches of the military, all in good fun! Ha ha ha...
:D
:D

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a RIA GI Officers Model in 45 and love it. Wish I had bought the 'Rock' model mainly for the sights, but I still can squint with those GI sights and get good results. I put a lot of different JHP thru mine. I had one wide mouth JHP fail to feed, but I think that was me. not seating the top round in the magazine, never repeated the problem. Really like the gun, my favorite 45.

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
This was mine when I had these panels, but don't shoot +P with them, they are fragile as I found breaking them, I have nice wood on there now.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
At first I went to Colonial Shooting Academy, here in Richmond, VA --- but I noticed some rather "unsettling attitudes" among the RSO's and other guys behind the counter. (translation: "range nazi"). I boldly decided to gather my things from the counter and said, "Uh, thanks guys, but never mind..." and I walked out!

I drove up to Winding Brook Shooting Range in Ashland, VA along I-95 and directly across the street from Bass Pro Shop. That place is incredible! Way more relaxed, way more cleaner, and the RSO is a former Marine and is actually hilarious! If you are also a veteran, he will jokingly mess with you, poke fun, etc.. Gotta love a sense of humor from a RSO! :cool:

I used the homemade target (as seen below) that I printed on my wife's white cardstock paper, and had a great time, but then I learned some major differences with eye dominance, hand dexterity, etc... I wanted to try and shoot right handed, and try to get my right eye to take over and/or compensate. Wow... :eek:

"Just got home about 10-15 minutes ago. Now I have to clean my Rock Island 1911...
No target to bring home and brag about. I was a bit embarrassed, as I was trying something new:

1. I was trying to shoot right handed, both eyes open, hoping to get my right eye to compensate. All my shots were all over the left side of the target rings.
  2. I switched my stance, turned 90°, let go with my left hand, and shot one handed with my right hand and only then could I see my right eye start to compensate. But I still splattered bullet holes all over the target, with embarrassing results. :(
  3. Giving up the silly idea of shooting righty, I switched back lefty, and instantly my left eye took over, and I was more relaxed, shooting in the normal isosceles stance, left handed, both eyes open, etc... and was right on target.
  4. But once again, I had a silly idea of now switching my stance 90° again, and letting go with my right hand, so I was shooting one handed, lefty, and again, I was all over the place with embarrassing results."

In summary: I just need more practice to hold the full size 1911 steady, if I'm ever going to shoot it one handed!

z8dgIwI.jpg
ButchA , what was the problem with these guys about a RIA. Don't understand their problem.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Whit,

The RSO's at the other range are just, "wrapped a little too tight" -- I guess you could say. You want to look at them and say, "Whoa... It's okay, man... Ease up..." They took what was once a really nice indoor range and turned it into Parris Island! :mad:

Edit: There was no issue with RIA or any firearm for that matter. The RSO's in that range just have serious attitudes. :mad:

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
As it happens, today I bought an RIA GI, and ran 100 rounds through it with one failure to return to battery.

They're good guns, and I have confidence that as soon as I build a carry load for it and get it tested, it will meet all my requirements.

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
Five increments.

Titegroup, 4.3, 4.5, 4.7, 5.0 and 5.2 grains.
230 grain Montana Gold JHP
Armscorp (AP 02 and AP 03 headstamps) brass
Federal Match Large Pistol Primers.

Started loading today. Testing 15 rounds of each step tomorrow, if the RIA likes them, I'll load a couple dozen of each step for chronograph testing. Then I'll pick one, and load a thousand of them for reliability testing. Cool down every fifty, clean every hundred, just like 1910. When I have a load that will go a thousand rounds, that's what I'll carry. That way, I can train with the load I carry.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Bought this last week. 9mm Ultra. Blended the magwell to the frame (more than it was). Put an Ed Brown thumb safety on it from the parts bin since the RIA ambi-safety impedes my high grip. Gotta get it to the range this week. It had some features i was surprised to see. Ramped barrel, full length guide rod...
As from the factory:

Last edited:

Joeb001

New Fanatic

z8dgIwI.jpg
An old friend told me to take some scotch tape and put on your shooting glasses left side if you are left side dominant and that will help your right eye to become stronger trying to focus.
Joe

rwallner

New Fanatic

z8dgIwI.jpg

rwallner

New Fanatic
You might consider trying eye exercises. But, (disclaimer) please see your Eye Care Professional before starting any program (actually a good idea anyway).
Look up "Brock String". If used as designed, you will see marked improvement in depth perception and binocularity.

Mike Sherman

Fanatic
I have an RIA 1911 in 9mm and it normally runs great. Having said that, it does not like certain types of ammo. I have had nothing but problems with Winchester 9mm 124 Gr Nato rounds...stove piping, failure to feed, etc. Yet with Federal American Eagle 9mm in 115 Gr it cycles perfectly. So I've come to the conclusion that the RIA 9mm is very picky about what it likes to eat.

Garrett Opolko

Fanatic

z8dgIwI.jpg
Butch, I am a natural left handed shooter and a little over a yr. ago I had a rso ask if I could shoot right handed. I tried and did very well and now I can carry on either side. The trick was when shooting right hand to turn NOT TILT my head to the right and a line my left eye with the sights. It takes some work and concentration bu t it did not take long before I shot well left or right handed

jennflip

Well-Known Fanatic
HAve a RIA FS 9mm--darn thing just works,barrel hood a little loose,added a Wilson group gripper and is now a tack driver at 25 yds...This extractor is hell to pull--found a wedge thing from Dawson Precision that makes pulling a 1911 extractor unbelievably easy!!!!!

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
found a wedge thing from Dawson Precision that makes pulling a 1911 extractor unbelievably easy!!!!!
Hey jennflip, do you know what it's called? I just did a quick look on Dawson's site and didnt see anything
Thanks
Pappy

Latest posts