Waterfowl

dennishoddy

That's a great looking hoodie mount! I wanted to get mine done that way, but his breast was a little discolored so my taxidermist suggested I get him done flying. Not exactly what I had in mind, but he did a good job on it.

photo-12.jpg

That ducks hair-do looks like something that belongs in a Mosh Pit!!! :D

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
Man, those are all great looking mounts! Who did them if you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping to kill a nice readhead to have it done this year. I had planned to take my next bird over to Terry at Look Alive Taxidermy, but as nice as those look, I may change my mind if the price is right.

Thanks, Porter. I had Terry's Taxidermy in OKC do them. They do excellent work, but I'm not sure I will be using them again. My family has done A LOT of business with them, and for some reason they thought it would be okay to charge us for work we didn't request.

Porter

Active Fanatic
Here are a few pics from the weekend. We killed a 3 man limit Saturday morning and a 4 man limit Sunday morning. To top it off we killed a 5 man limit of geese Sunday evening. Took today off to catch some rest and then back at them in the morning before heading back to the office Wednesday.
photo1-4.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I have never been duck hunting. I'd like to see the action in peron sometime. A good bird dog is a thing of beauty!

Yeah, I've retired a few upland dogs.
I take them out by myself, as they kind of have "alsimers", and easily forget their commands. Its a time to give them the best quality of the rest of their life, and forget the mistakes. They live to hunt, and please their owner. How great is that.
My last Britt, (Dammit was his name) passed on a quail hunt on Kaw WMA, 2 miles from the truck with a heart attack I guess. Carried him across my shoulders to the truck and buried him at home.

thats sad. I need to give my pup's hugs now.

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
Been hunting and scouting hard for the last week! I'm worn out, but it has paid off!!!

***I broke my ikams*** :banghead:

Hunted out west with a few buddies. Got a visit by the federal and state gw's. Everybody was in compliance with the laws and regs, except the brother in law. They allowed him to buy everything on the spot since he is in active military service.

View attachment 1805

Got permission on a field with 6,000 geese on it. Woke up late at 6am. Loaded up the decoys and blinds, got there at 8am. While I was putting out the decoys in the wheat field in my blue jeans and tan fleece, I talked 1,000 in and pulled a triple. Then my 14 year old cousin got his first goose.

View attachment 1803 View attachment 1804

Hunted a pond the next day, and my cousin did some long range work on a gadwall. Then we had a few more come in nicely.

View attachment 1806

Then the duck gods blessed us this morning. I called a land owner last night about a pond... Ends up that it was already leased out, but he told us of another pond of his that usually has a few mallards on it.....

Best hunt of the season!!! I had such a great time watching the big groups come in and land, then my cousin got to pick out the drakes and watch the dog do some descent work!!! Just an awesome hunt!!!

I also pulled another triple and a double. Done by 7:25am.

View attachment 1807 View attachment 1808 View attachment 1809

I can't tell you how awesome it is to take a youngster hunting!!! There will be many more!!

Attachments

• DSC_0021.JPG
    DSC_0021.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0022 (2).JPG
    DSC_0022 (2).JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0026 (2).JPG
    DSC_0026 (2).JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0040 (2).JPG
    DSC_0040 (2).JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0031.JPG
    DSC_0031.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 37

Porter

Active Fanatic
Looks like you guys had a great weekend! If you ever want to come East, I think we could swap a hunt or two.

dennishoddy

I can't tell you how awesome it is to take a youngster hunting!!! There will be many more!!
this is the most important part of the whole post. Take a kid hunting.

We have done it for years with deer, and recently my buddy's son has "grown up" to 4 years old and we take him on every hunting trip we go on. Yeah it costs us some birds, but its making memories for the pup. :D

sefentress

Well-Known Fanatic
Wes has paid the dues all hunters need to pay to keep the traditions we hold dear alive and that is take the next generation to the field and show them how it should be done. Thanks from your fellow outdoorsmen!.

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
Looks like you guys had a great weekend! If you ever want to come East, I think we could swap a hunt or two.

Thanks, Porter. We may have to plan one next season. School starts back up on Monday, so I'm sure that will consume my life.

this is the most important part of the whole post. Take a kid hunting.

We have done it for years with deer, and recently my buddy's son has "grown up" to 4 years old and we take him on every hunting trip we go on. Yeah it costs us some birds, but its making memories for the pup. :D

Totally worth it!!

Wes has paid the dues all hunters need to pay to keep the traditions we hold dear alive and that is take the next generation to the field and show them how it should be done. Thanks from your fellow outdoorsmen!.

Thanks, Padre.

Porter

Active Fanatic
What an awesome video! Talk about being on the X. I've had some decent days this season, but I haven't seen a concentration of mallards like that all year. Thanks for sharing.