Trying to make up my mind....

And no, nothing is wrong with it, but seeing the ones you have worked on makes me look at it with disgust....

just kidding, I kinda like the GI look. But there are some things I would like to change.
Dont mistake fit and finish with reliability; if that dang thing doesnt hammer bite you, you can align the sights, and even if the trigger isnt the best, but goes bang, its still something to use and work with. Why not try to wring the very most you can out of the gun, so when you say "this damn gun"; its really the gun thats limiting you.

Beware of the guy with the ugly, worn looking gun; you know?

naw, Burk, dump the "olyeller" in my avatar; Im over that nickname.
I do appreciate your prompt attention. :)

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Dont mistake fit and finish with reliability; if that dang thing doesnt hammer bite you, you can align the sights, and even if the trigger isnt the best, but goes bang, its still something to use and work with. Why not try to wring the very most you can out of the gun, so when you say "this damn gun"; its really the gun thats limiting you.

Ok Mike, I think ya may have me convinced. Broke after Christmas, so soon as I can I'll put some sights on it and see what I can wring out of it.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy

Ok Mike, I think ya may have me convinced. Broke after Christmas, so soon as I can I'll put some sights on it and see what I can wring out of it.

Nothing is cooler looking than a gun that has been carried and has had the living crap shot out of it.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Nothing is cooler looking than a gun that has been carried and has had the living crap shot out of it.

hehe, while looking cool is nice, I do honestly prefer function over looks. This thing bites me a bit in the love handles when IWB, so that's why I want a different beavertail, or to give mine a bit of a carry friendly bevel. A flat MSH cause it fits my hand better, throat and whatever else the chamber/feed ramp needs to increase reliability. I like a commander style hammer, but have no reason for this other than looks. I dunno, I guess I am confusing need for want, and then I get discouraged cause all I see is $$$$.

Oh, and lower and flare the port. Not probably a need, but I plan to reload so would like to beat the brass a bit less.

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
I used to be a 1911 purist mainly because that was my assigned pistol for most of my Army time. Since I’ve retired, I’ve tried most of the Glock’s, M&P’s, STI’s, Berretta’s, you name it, pretty much what Mike was talking about. I finally found the HK P30 series and felt that my journey was over. And even finding a good feeling pistol wasn’t the end of the process since there are several different trigger modes for the P30’s, but I am now satisfied with which models work the best for me. Now, I’m slowly coming down to just them in the safe for handguns.

Different sights, trigger work, tactical light, more magazines, and lots of ammo down range (still working on that part!) are all that I need for them.

Come to think of it, that paraphrases what everyone else has been saying about all of the other guns as well.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
What about a gen 2 Glock 17? Found one for about $350, looks like it has been shot a bunch, but not "shot out". The little wear marks under the slide are about 1/8 of an inch, and don't feel indented. The top of the chamber shows a decent amount of wear. The gun fits Mikes suggestion of ugly, and for that price I would have some money left over if I bought it to get mags.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
If you can haggle that down $25 bucks ...(but $350 aint bad)... I'd be all over it.

I carry a Glock quite often... am not a fan boy by any stretch... but I'd rather sweat all over a $450 used 19 and shoot the heck out of it than break or risk loosing a really nice 1911.

My 19 is a personal project. I plan to shoot that pistol (mostly) exclusivly this year in IDPA or IDPA-like matches. Just to see how I do with it.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, this one intrigues me. It's definitely not a nice gun, but what I need is reliability, and something I can send lots of ammo through. I need more practice. Period.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Once you have it, you can just think of it as a tool. Your mind won't be shattered if you drop it in the gravel, and it won't cost you any money to refinish because you won't do it.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I had just about made up my mind to stick with my 1911 when I got a trade offer for a nice G19. So, that's what I got. The beat up G17 was a decent price, but the buyer of my 1911 changed his mind.

I may engrave my initials on this so that I never get rid of it.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Congrats on the trade and I hope you enjoy the 19.

Thanks, this is now my 5th Glock, and my second G19. The other G19 was the pistol I shot best with, but I got rid of it for the G17 because I figured I would do better with a bigger gun. I guess I don't learn.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, this is now my 5th Glock, and my second G19. The other G19 was the pistol I shot best with, but I got rid of it for the G17 because I figured I would do better with a bigger gun. I guess I don't learn.
I shoot the compact and sub compacts better myself. I had a second 19, but a buddy had more cash than I had need at the time so i let it go. Kicking myself for letting it go every time I think about it.

Squirrel

Well-Known Fanatic
I finally found the HK P30 series and felt that my journey was over.

I have been searching for a good 9mm for months that will fit in my hand. I was going to purchase a Glock 19 until I shot the H&K P30. Thought I was in Heaven! I was told that I can make the grip even smaller, which is a big plus for me.

Latest posts