Tri City Gun Club Action Pistol Match October 3rd

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
The MAIN/ONLY reason I have not tried to get on the wait list - they have crazy rules like can't draw from a holster and shoot - well hell - how can I practice then.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
I think that this match today was the single most dangerous shooting event I've ever participated in. I'm not sure that this match can be turned around, it is exactly what the people running it want it to be. I can also tell you that this is the last time that I will go out there and set stages for them all effing day. 15 shooters per squad and there were tons of them that never reset or tapped a single target all day and sat and watched those of us that understand how an all volunteer sport works reset stages all day long.

I would love to see this match live up to it's potential, but there are going to have to be huge changes to make that happen. I'm going to talk to Chris and see what we might be able to do, he's been around these guys a lot more than I have. The people that are currently driving this match are getting exactly what they want and I'm mostly sure they aren't going to budge...

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
[quote author=Rustyzx9 link=topic=117.msg1544#msg1544 date=1286153327]
I think that this match today was the single most dangerous shooting event I've ever participated in. I'm not sure that this match can be turned around, it is exactly what the people running it want it to be. I can also tell you that this is the last time that I will go out there and set stages for them all effing day. 15 shooters per squad and there were tons of them that never reset or tapped a single target all day and sat and watched those of us that understand how an all volunteer sport works reset stages all day long.

I would love to see this match live up to it's potential, but there are going to have to be huge changes to make that happen. I'm going to talk to Chris and see what we might be able to do, he's been around these guys a lot more than I have. The people that are currently driving this match are getting exactly what they want and I'm mostly sure they aren't going to budge...
[/quote]
Yeah, I saw a rifle muzzle go 90 degrees past the end point of 180. Granted he had just been confirmed clear and the range was called safe. But when a dude slings a rifle on his back muzzle down, then bends over to pick up a mag and the muzzle goes straight away from downrange pointing at the "gallery"? Come on!

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
You know Rusty, I totally agree that they ain't gonna budge, but come to think of it now, safety might be a way "in". I cannot begin to count the number of rounds that ricocheted over the big berm today.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I have only been to Tri City once and didn't leave the pistol range - do they have the facility to put on a match that can rival OKCGC?

Just curious.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
Scott, there were truckloads of problems this being just one of them. My biggest single concern today were all of the people standing/sitting behind us that where holding and point ingguns all over the damn place. The statement that "loading magaizines in the saftey are was ok as long as none of the went into a gun" that was defended when questioned kinda told me where we were at early on. These guys like their match just the way it is, including the club leadership standing around watching all of this happen, they talk about saftey like it's important but then let this kind of crap go.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Glad I didn't go. People hate when a "kid" tells them to stop pointing a gun at me. Unloaded or not I still get pissy.

Chambers

actual GM
[quote author=Rustyzx9 link=topic=117.msg1544#msg1544 date=1286153327]
I think that this match today was the single most dangerous shooting event I've ever participated in.
[/quote]

This. My skin was crawling all day. Numerous times I looked back during the rifle supplemental and saw guys flagging others with their muzzles. One dude was resting his freaking muzzle on his foot. The level of participation was so low that the 6 of us started setting up the stage for another squad just to keep it moving. Totally absurd. I got yelled at once for standing in the shooting box before the RSO declared "hot", but he didn't say jack to the 50+ safety violations occurring behind me. What bothers me most is that the senior members out there (some of them IPSC Masters) didn't even make the effort to educate the obviously inexperienced.

...I shot Rusty's Noveske w/ the can on the rifle supplemental. The guy RO'ing had the timer under his arm, meaning it didn't pick up a single shot. By this time I was so frustrated with the whole situation that I didn't even re-shoot, yet somehow they gave me a time?

> 1st Shawn Sanderson
> 2nd R Harris
> 3rd M Chambers
> 4th C Anderson
> 5th M Rigsby
> 6th M Tower
> 7th S Hearn
> 8th E Jones
> 9th T Tower
> 10th K Tompson
> 11th D Mattmiller
> 12th L Rigsby
> 13th C Sanderson
> 14th H Jones
> 15th M Harrington
> 16th R Robertson
> 17th T Smith
> 18th D Wilbanks
> 19th J Jacobs

No handgun scores yet. I tanked stage three pretty bad with a miss and a no-shoot, but shot one and two pretty well.

They really could do a cool match out there. A lot of places do more with less. I'd be more than willing to help, but I'm no politician. Join up, Jesse! I could get behind that.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I would join up and help but honestly from what I hear about TCGC - it would not make one bit of difference - I hear they are so set in their ways and do not want to change that it would be a mute point. I have the time to devote and I live probably about 5 miles away - but I REFUSE to put up effort for something that others will just run into the ground. I think this would have to be all of us saying "HEY let us run this" or all of us saying "We have other things better to do than shoot a match that is unorganized and dangerous"

Chambers

actual GM
[quote author=B.S. DuBois link=topic=117.msg1550#msg1550 date=1286156170]
I have only been to Tri City once and didn't leave the pistol range - do they have the facility to put on a match that can rival OKCGC?[/quote]

Rival? Absolutely not, but they could easily run 4 good-sized stages. The space and props are there. The SCRAP club in Duncan is a great example of what can be done with limited space, safely.

It was really, really bad out there today. If someone doesn't reign it in, an AD and it's associated lawsuit might spell the end of that little club.

Chambers

actual GM
[quote author=jtischauser link=topic=117.msg1558#msg1558 date=1286157743]
Dude, joint Tri city. I'm gonna join so we can vote chris in as President.
[/quote]

'Eff being president, let's just get him in charge of the match. Let the rest keep to their shotgun range.

And I don't think he won today...LOL. His STI was basically a single shot.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
[quote author=Chambers link=topic=117.msg1561#msg1561 date=1286157821]
[quote author=B.S. DuBois link=topic=117.msg1550#msg1550 date=1286156170]
I have only been to Tri City once and didn't leave the pistol range - do they have the facility to put on a match that can rival OKCGC?[/quote]

Rival? Absolutely not, but they could easily run 4 good-sized stages. The space and props are there. The SCRAP club in Duncan is a great example of what can be done with limited space, safely.

It was really, really bad out there today. If someone doesn't reign it in, an AD and it's associated lawsuit might spell the end of that little club.
[/quote]
This ^^^

They could put in another berm splitting the big one in the center and have 4 bays instead of 3. They have enough room to totally redo all the berms making the bays and could probably make 5 decent ones, but 4 for sure.

And I'm not sure that lawsuit will take long at all with what went on. The RO on the rifle match should never hold a timer again.

Here's a partial list.

Rounds going over the berm.
Shrapnel going over the side berms into the next bay. (We found a piece of still stuck jacket metal in a paper target on stage 1 and this stage had no steel at all plus a few shrapnel tears in the paper targets.)
Gun handling all over the place.
Ammunition in the safe area.
Weapons being cleared with muzzle in the air when they even briefed us not to do it.

Then there were all the other little things.
There were in excess of 40 shooters and I'd bet that maybe 12 to 14 total helped reset stages.
A 10 second stage immediately followed by a 1 minute stage.

And all of this just after they have ran a few of their "IPSC Clinics"! That's just downright scary...

Oh! And all the antique "Tri-City IPSC" shirts are always good for a eyeroll.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
They have 150 members at ~$150 each??? That what $20k/year in revenue. We could make the betms on the side of the north side of the long range area and have IPSC matches without closing the range.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
[quote author=jtischauser link=topic=117.msg1573#msg1573 date=1286163300]
They have 150 members at ~$150 each??? That what $20k/year in revenue. We could make the betms on the side of the north side of the long range area and have IPSC matches without closing the range.
[/quote]
Huh? Try like 1200 members.

I saw a couple of news letters back that they are going to redo the long range cover. Concrete floor and everything. It really does need it as it is about to fall down. They are contracting it out at close to $50K. They have money for things. I think it's just going to the shotgun area mostly.

jtischauser

[quote author=Scott Hearn link=topic=117.msg1576#msg1576 date=1286164387]
[quote author=jtischauser link=topic=117.msg1573#msg1573 date=1286163300]
[/quote]
Huh? Try like 1200 members.

I saw a couple of news letters back that they are going to redo the long range cover. Concrete floor and everything. It really does need it as it is about to fall down. They are contracting it out at close to $50K. They have money for things. I think it's just going to the shotgun area mostly.
[/quote]

Oops I don't know what I was thinking. Yeah it's more like 1200 members and 10x more dollars.

jtischauser

[quote author=Carl Frazier link=topic=117.msg1580#msg1580 date=1286188335]
Who's the ipsc master class shooters running matches at tri-city?
[/quote]

I think the last time there was a Master class shooter at Tri City's IPSCish match was when you and Kelly came to shoot one with us.

Chambers

actual GM
Scores...

The mike & no shoot on stage three didn't bone me as bad as I thought. Made up for it on the other two. Apparently we're all Senior, open-class shooters. LOL.

octMatch.jpg

Latest posts