Tornado Survival Kit

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
This is a pretty good video series for this kind of thing, he has a lot of things that I would have never of thought of.

http://youtu.be/OVkntkChnnM

TroyF

TheBearcat
In light of this week's tragic event let me add this:

I know a lot of folks want to do something. Donate food, water, etc..... We are good. The outpouring of support has been typically astounding.

Do this for us. For you. Get a kit together. Spend the money you would have spent on a donation and put together a kit. The cases of water will last us about 10 seconds. But your kit can sustain you much longer. And in the end, that helps us. All of us. The first responders, your family, your neighbors.

I've been in the middle of this since yesterday. I can't count the number of times I've responded to natural disasters. And each time, I think no one was prepared. Please get prepared.

XOXO

Troy

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I thought I was somewhat prepared. Found out otherwise.

Also found out that another form of preparation is having a complete home inventory and important papers (bank/brokerage account numbers, PINS, passwords, etc.) together ready to grab, on a flash drive in your BOB, online backup or something. This I will start to rectify tomorrow.

I have my gun safe inventory down, but what about tools, reloading gear, your ammo stores, competition gear, etc.? Get it ALL down, recorded and documented including photos. Here's yet another thing to think about. It's quite possible I could have been "prepared" and had all this in a safe deposit box at my credit union. It's also possible that said same credit union could have been taken out by the same damn tornado since it was almost right along the same path the tornado took.

Bottom line is that there is no way to predict something like this. Just have it all electronic and do an online encrypted backup! I got lucky. I though it was going to be gone... Doing this will allow you to recoup your stuff from insurance but you gotta be able to show you had it. This is just another part of being prepared.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott Hearn said:

Also found out that another form of preparation is having a complete home inventory and important papers (bank/brokerage account numbers, PINS, passwords, etc.) together ready to grab, on a flash drive in your BOB, online backup or something. This I will start to rectify tomorrow.

I have my gun safe inventory down, but what about tools, reloading gear, your ammo stores, competition gear, etc.? Get it ALL down, recorded and documented including photos. Here's yet another thing to think about. It's quite possible I could have been "prepared" and had all this in a safe deposit box at my credit union. It's also possible that said same credit union could have been taken out by the same damn tornado since it was almost right along the same path the tornado took.

Bottom line is that there is no way to predict something like this. Just have it all electronic and do an online encrypted backup! I got lucky. I though it was going to be gone... Doing this will allow you to recoup your stuff from insurance but you gotta be able to show you had it. This is just another part of being prepared.
Since I just moved I've been thinking about this. I'm in the process of making a couple of new updated backups of all my electronic files. One I will keep in my office and one I will have my parents keep in their safe witch is in another state.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott Hearn said:

I don't have a complete house list, but all the major stuff. Been working on adding to it over time.

Something I've done is also take multiple pics of the gun, with one showing the S/N as clearly as possible while still showing as much of the rest of the gun. Gives you a little more proof that it's yours more than just a serial number and description.

Need to get the Go Bag together. We've been talking about it, but haven't done it. Need a shelter too, but that might take longer. And I know people close who have one.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Like I said I had my gun safe squared away in an excel file with S/Ns, description of mods, pics, etc. But for all practical purposes that's ALL I had documented. I've spent most of this evening inventorying my reloading stuff. Tomorrow is the ammo, components and competition gear. Belts, holsters, speedloaders, mags, mag loaders, brass, primers, bullets, etc., etc., etc. Man the stuff we accumulate over time.... if I had to buy this stuff all over again I think I'd just die. I'm really kicking myself in the ass with both of my size 12.5s. I'm also buying a policy from collectinsure dot com in the morning! Their rates are less than half what my homeowners rider is.

For everything else I also downloaded an iPhone app from Liberty Mutual for doing a home inventory. It goes by each room of the house and has built-in categories. And I'm not sure but think you can add/modify these to your liking. I've already put my major kitchen appliances in it since I've been upgrading to all Whirlpool Gold the last couple of years. After it's all in there, you can export a .pdf and Excel file I believe. You don't have to have their insurance either, but I do. Get it, it's free, they have it for android and it works great so far! Put it online AND on a thumb drive that's in your BOB bag.

Edit: This lesson has taught me the above AND to have your necessities in place for two or three days if you do stay put. Not having to deal with the access in and out of my neighborhood would save me and the emergency workers some blood pressure. If I had to bug out I had family so no worries there but it was very frustrating. Lesson learned Troy!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Scott Hearn said:
For everything else I also downloaded an iPhone app from Liberty Mutual for doing a home inventory. It goes by each room of the house and has built-in categories. And I'm not sure but think you can add/modify these to your liking.
View attachment 4841

Attachments

• PropertyInventoryTemplate-byTheRedGuide.xls
    1.3 MB · Views: 937

scubor2

S.L.C.G.A.
I put in a storm shelter in May of 2012. The assessor spy must have visited my property because I received a letter from them. It was a storm shelter exception application. It was damn nice of them to offer not to tax me for trying to survive a natural disaster. I guess this will exempt me but if I sell my place and don't stick my in ground storm shelter in my back pocket when I move, they will be free to add the value to the property and tax accordingly. I wonder how much it costs to do paper work on the 2,500 I paid for it compared to just not being greedy bastards.

dennishoddy

I wonder if all county's are the same?
We registered ours with the county we get our utility's from and also the county that we live in. They
sent reps out to do a GPS location as its not close to the house.

I've also tested mine for cell phone communications if we are trapped inside, hoping the tower doesn't get damaged as well.
Could not get a signal.

Looked online, and found that if one uses a hanger or piece of wire and push it up the vent, you can get a signal if you stand next to it.

Worked!

scubor2

S.L.C.G.A.
It was stated as the Ad Valorem exemption for storm shelters state question 696 approved Nov. 5 2002 general election
Reference - Oklahoma Constitution Article 10 Section 6
Built after Jan. 1, 2002 not to exceed 100 sg. ft.
If you had it installed you were exempt, if you sold the property it was assessed to the next owner.
Cool trick on the cell phone reception Dennis. I will have to try it since we are usually in a dead zone inside the house.

larscout0311

New Fanatic
Where is the e-tool? Those things come in pretty handy.

But seriously, after the May 31st tornadoes Ive been seriously thinking about this stuff and plan to accommodate four people out of a pack if I can. Ive been thinking about getting camel bak packs for the wife and kid and I take on the main pack. We don't have a shelter (go figure) so guns and ammo would have to be seriously considered as to what gets saved and what doesn't. Lots of good info here. Im definitely going to be making a list and building a kit the closer we get to tornado season.

dennishoddy

Yes, that season is coming up. We were thinking about it during the holidays, and bought some cellphone/ipad/whatever battery backups. Keep them charged and in the gear bag that will go to the shelter.

We chose the uNu models. I took one with me that is 3X battery life of an Iphone on a recent hunting trip, and we bought another that is 10X the life in case we get trapped in the shelter by fallen trees or house debris.

http://www.myunu.com/devices.html

BamaBoy

Fanatic
just printed this list off and going to get my pack going..added the tool to my list as well. our shelter is a garage floor one. only thing im worried about is incoming water and being trapped inside. Been hit 3 times before we moved out of moore. 3 strikes and your out.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Micah_Rowe said:
4 cases of water, 2 boxes of MRE's , 8 bottles of Wild Turkey and so many guns and so much ammo you can take whatever you want from the preppers.

No substitute for a killer instinct.
Good call, but your ratios are off a little

posted via Tapatalk

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Now that I'm down near Houston I don't worry about the tornadoes nearly as much as I did when in Oklahoma. But we still have our bad weather and hurricanes.

Earlier this week we had another round of severe thunderstorms and went without power for about 40 hrs. Turned out to not be a big deal since we were well prepared.

I fired up the generator for the first time in six or seven years. To avoid the hassle of changing out gasoline every six month (max of one year if you use a stabilizer) we went with propane. It will store indefinitely and I don't need to worry about the carb getting gummed up.

For the folks that include a firearm in their gear, I agree however I pack the cheapest but reliable handgun I've got. Its a beater 1911 made from mixed parts I picked up over 30 years ago. Not pretty but reliable. I figure if anything happens where I need assistance from 1st responders they will not let me keep it. If it does disappear, not a big loss.

Skip1

Active Fanatic
Question, when people on the tube always say get out of car and lay in ditch. I always see chasers drive at right angles which makes a lot more sense to me. Thoughts

Latest posts