Tornado Survival Kit

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Obviously, we all have had tornado safety on our minds lately but after this week it really hit home and I an assembling what I call a tornado survival kit. It might be that same as a "go bag" or "bug out bag" but mainly this will get me through the "day after". Anything longer than that I am probably going to be staying with friends or family. The second list can be expanded on if you have a storm shelter and some or most of it can stay in the shelter. Feel free to post suggestions you feel are necessary to get you through the day after your house is destroyed.

Minimal:
  • Backpack
  • Water (a couple of liter bottles)
  • Battery powered radio or hand crank
  • 2 flashlights
  • Extra batteries
  • First Aid Kit
  • leather gloves
  • Prescription meds
  • Local maps
  • Loud whistle
  • Bic lighter in a ziplock bag in your first aid kit
  • Old phone with USB charger (it will dial 911)

Additional items:
if you have room (or stored in shelter)
  • Folding tree saw
  • Hammer
  • small pry bar
  • Duct Tape
  • Eyeglasses or extra contact lenses
  • Full change of clothes
  • Non-perishable food
  • Paper plates, cups and utensils
  • Paper and pencil

SteveS

Well-Known Fanatic
This time I had:

Eberlestock G4 Operator Pack

2 liter bladder of water
DPMS 308 SASS / 80 rds of 168 BTHP
Sig 220 on pistol belt with 5 mags and 200 rounds
Sig 225 with 5 mags and 200 9mm rds
1 Flashlight
1 change of clothes for each person
2 sets of underwear and socks for each person
Power charger for mobile phones

Separate Day pack with

1 flashlight
first aid kit
5 20 oz bottles of water
3 gatorades
misc snacks

On my person:
200 cash
Gerber pocket knife
Glock 19 in a triple crown holster

Diaper bag with:
full can of formula and two baby bottles with water in them
20 diapers
misc baby food

Everyone was wearing Jeans and good shoes.

I worked at Moore PD during the May 3rd 1999 and 2001 tornados. Once people leave the area it is difficult to get back in. It was days in some cases before we let people in. Many people were walking out of the effected areas within an hour of the tornado. So, the plan was to pack out if needed. The reason for the P220 is that is my favorite full size. The DPMS SASS with the scope is the most expensive and the P225 I hand carried from Germany myself. It is irreplaceable.

okie-carbine

Well-Known Fanatic
i double checked my bags the morning the storms were supposed to happen. i pretty much knew that we were going to be west of the dryline so i wasnt too concerned, but, this gave me a good opportunity to get the wife on board. we also have a little 5 month old baby since first assembling our bags. wife grabbed up a re-usable walmart bag and i told her to get a gallon of water, can of formula, couple bottles, pack of wipes and half a case of diapers. also a few packs of food.

i had her add to her bag: a towel, wash cloth, socks, change of clothes.

i told her, you need to be able to live out of this bag for 3 days at least. it might be all you have. we have the usual bob stuff already in there. she uses just a regular backpack.

me, shoot, i have like 4 bags i have to grab up. :D

paul1

Fanatic
Additional items: if you have room (or stored in shelter)
  • Folding tree saw
  • Hammer
  • small pry bar
  • Duct Tape
  • Eyeglasses or extra contact lenses
  • Full change of clothes
  • Non-perishable food
  • Paper plates, cups and utensils
  • Paper and pencil

Depending on the type of shelter, you may want a bottle jack or come-a-long to help you get out in case something is on the door.

Bk2X

Well-Known Fanatic
I suggest a gravity water filter. More than likely you will be the most prepared person in your area and there will be people needing some water. They pack up real small and can filter 2 liters fairly quick.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I suggest a gravity water filter. More than likely you will be the most prepared person in your area and there will be people needing some water. They pack up real small and can filter 2 liters fairly quick.

I was thinking about a hand pump jack for my water well. I don't know if they can be "rigged" up over a submersible pump or not. Does anyone know?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Here is the completed Tornado Survival Kit. Medium Alice Pack w/o frame. Loaded it weighs about 25 lbs

P6090072.jpg

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
what is the final list of its content? And where do you keep it? in the shelter?

Final list. This is the portable version. Larger [more] stuff will be stored in the shelter
  • Water (2- liter bottles)
  • Battery powered radio or hand crank
  • Battery powered TV
  • 2 flashlights (2D Maglite and 9v large flashlight w/stand)
  • 2-Extra D batteries
  • First Aid Kit
  • 2 pair of leather gloves
  • Prescription meds
  • Local maps
  • Survival whistle with waterproof match case, compass and signal mirror ($1)
  • Bic lighter in a ziplock bag in your first aid kit
  • Old phone with USB charger (it will dial 911)
  • Two clean t-shirts

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
That old phone is a wonderful idea. But why clean shirts, but no clean underwear?
I didn't see any TP on the list anywhere either.
Maybe that's what the extra shirts are for.

Bk2X

Well-Known Fanatic
Excellent idea. Hammer, pry bar etc. all in one tool

I just bought one. During that last storm that went through south of Norman, I was in my office's tornado shelter and thought if this building came down on us, my hands aren't going to do a whole lot moving rubble. It's sad that it has to take a close call to get me prepared but lesson learned.

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
The night the storms hit in the OKC area we thought they might make it all the way here too (Broken Arrow) so my kids were getting a little "anxious." We started packing stuff into our center bathroom and it was interesting what items we deemed as important. hammer, prybar, cordless saw - in case the house caved or something blocked the door. We were all fully dressed, with shoes. My rifle went too. 18v cordless flashlight, with the battery on the charger for full charge when we needed it. all this activity kept the kids busy! Even my youngest 2, my girls, brought a trash bag full of their prized possessions - their favorite dolls and ALL their shoes! Food snacks, the list could really go long but it got us all thinking more about preparedness!

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
The night the storms hit in the OKC area we thought they might make it all the way here too (Broken Arrow) so my kids were getting a little "anxious." We started packing stuff into our center bathroom and it was interesting what items we deemed as important. hammer, prybar, cordless saw - in case the house caved or something blocked the door. We were all fully dressed, with shoes. My rifle went too. 18v cordless flashlight, with the battery on the charger for full charge when we needed it. all this activity kept the kids busy! Even my youngest 2, my girls, brought a trash bag full of their prized possessions - their favorite dolls and ALL their shoes! Food snacks, the list could really go long but it got us all thinking more about preparedness!

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Well since it is already a topic, I didn't want to take up more room on the forums, but thought I would try to revive this thread. I will be putting together a kit a soon, and was wanting ideas on doing this on a budget. I mostly agree with Nutnfancy's idea of write off concept in which the pack and items are stowed away and not to be touched unless it is the emergency it was put together for, therefore I don't have a lot of money to be spending on eberlystock packs just for the purposes of sitting around in my closet. Does anyone know if there are good surplus stores or sports stores that run sales fairly regularly? Good areas that have these sort of items in garage sales?

dennishoddy

We have a storm shelter, but other than as some water, and lawn chairs we have nothing in there. Going to have to sit down, make a list, and get stocked up.

Btw, if you have a storm shelter, make sure you have the location registered with the local fire department, and your county emergency folks. We live in the sticks, and could never be found should we be trapped inside by debris.

Latest posts