Thumbreak or No Thumbreak?

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
I have one from the very beginning of carrying, but haven't used it in decades. I do have a shoulder holster with one that I use while riding my motorcycle. It's just easier to access and in the event I should go down it shouldn't cause my 1911 to go flying or disappear. A quality leather inside or outside waist holster is perfect. I as well have the tactical muffin tops to consider when picking out a holster.
Bingo... I love my fully ambidextrous (now lefty) shoulder holster, when I ride my Honda Shadow. Being lefty, I can still keep my right hand on the throttle, and draw my with my left, should SHTF when I'm on the bike.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
Bingo... I love my fully ambidextrous (now lefty) shoulder holster, when I ride my Honda Shadow. Being lefty, I can still keep my right hand on the throttle, and draw my with my left, should SHTF when I'm on the bike.
I always anticipate having to go down and loosing any of my weapons isn't something I want to have happen. I'm a righty and I have practiced drawing while riding many times and now it's just muscle memory to do it. Ride on and stay Safe Brother. Peace

Rusty Guns

Active Fanatic
I only have one holster with a thumb Break, a Bianchi, spring clip to hold it to the belt. It is a very strong spring wire. I used it for a while when I first got it to carry, and it was easier to put it on and off. When I ride my motorcycle I feel better with it keeping my pistol where it belongs. It was made for a Glock 19/23, I have a G-23, and it works just fine.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
A thumb break is the only option for ME.

I'm too active and refuse to have my valuable firearms dropping on the ground. I also Open Carry at times and feel that its my responsibility to make sure that some jack wagon doesnt try to make a point by trying to take it.

I have them on all my leather AND nylon holsters. I practice a couple times when I 1st put it on my belt. I also make sure that they are appropriately broke in before they go into service.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
A thumb break is the only option for ME.

I'm too active and refuse to have my valuable firearms dropping on the ground. I also Open Carry at times and feel that its my responsibility to make sure that some jack wagon doesnt try to make a point by trying to take it.

I have them on all my leather AND nylon holsters. I practice a couple times when I 1st put it on my belt. I also make sure that they are appropriately broke in before they go into service.
It's personal choice, and no one should be berated for their own personal choice. I choose not to, and that is also my personal choice. I also choose to conceal, and not open carry.

68camaro

New Fanatic
To each his/her own, but...

When I was working (32 years in LE), I obviously preferred extra retention as you could end in a fight for life at any given time. I switched platforms depending on what I was doing and where I was doing it. Personally, I never had a problem switching from a thumb break to an open top, I guess some are fine like that and others need to stay with one practice to be proficient. If I had to choose one or the other I would always opt for the extra level of defense and security. I've always been an advocate of thumb breaks as with sufficient practice and training, efficiency isn't a problem. Speed is needed but not nearly as much as situational awareness; it's rare when one needs to play quick draw McGraw vs having a sense something is off or of concern. Put together and weigh the two...having to draw in a split second PLUS the odds that you'll screw that draw up due to the TB - combined, the odds are most likely extraordinarily low. Then, weigh the odds of losing or dropping a gun because of a fight, car wreck, running, or any other daily function. Sure, there's great retention in today's open tops but keeping that gun under control and on your side is of the utmost importance.

Open carry is a whole other subject.

Latest posts