Thumbreak or No Thumbreak?

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't use a holster with one.
A quality holster will provide the retention needed. Some of the lesser quality holsters use the thumb break to retain the pistol.

Of course there are quality holsters that incorporate a thumb break as an option, some LE are required to have them

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Like Mike stated, I've also used one while riding. But these days thats less and less.
Agree that a good holster, like my new DM Bullard combat, doesn't require any thumb strap. Pistol snicks into this holster and sounds like kydex, almost

Big Biscuit

Well-Known Fanatic
Like many, I've accumulated quite a few holsters over the years.
The idea of both a hammer block and the additional security makes the thumb breaks look good....on paper.
All that means is that I have a couple in my holster drawer but never use them.

One benefit of the thumb break is that the back strap provides leather between the sharp edges of my pistol and my tactical muffin tops.
Some open holsters have this additional leather on the back or inside of the holster though.

My problem with the thumb breaks holster is the additional resistance felt on the draw as the strap pulls through under the cocked hammer.
Now, before someone who is proud of their thumb break tells me....I'm using a couple of Bianchi thumb breaks and I understand they are probably not the finest available. One is a IWB and the other is an OWB.

Unless you know someone who will let you try one out for yourself it's sort of tough.

spacelordmaster

Active Fanatic
Like many, I've accumulated quite a few holsters over the years.
The idea of both a hammer block and the additional security makes the thumb breaks look good....on paper.
All that means is that I have a couple in my holster drawer but never use them.

One benefit of the thumb break is that the back strap provides leather between the sharp edges of my pistol and my tactical muffin tops.
Some open holsters have this additional leather on the back or inside of the holster though.

My problem with the thumb breaks holster is the additional resistance felt on the draw as the strap pulls through under the cocked hammer.
Now, before someone who is proud of their thumb break tells me....I'm using a couple of Bianchi thumb breaks and I understand they are probably not the finest available. One is a IWB and the other is an OWB.

Unless you know someone who will let you try one out for yourself it's sort of tough.

I have one but don't use it. it's quite old. Got it when I first started with guns. Like everyone who is new at guns, especially 1911s, I didn't feel safe carrying that 1911 cocked but years of experience teach you that the cocked hammer is just intimidating and looks scary, but nothing more. We 1911 users know it takes a few steps to make the gun go bang. They are perfectly safe. The gun design hasn't survived 109 years for being unreliable and unsafe.

Big Biscuit

Well-Known Fanatic
I have one but don't use it. it's quite old. Got it when I first started with guns. Like everyone who is new at guns, especially 1911s, I didn't feel safe carrying that 1911 cocked but years of experience teach you that the cocked hammer is just intimidating and looks scary, but nothing more. We 1911 users know it takes a few steps to make the gun go bang. They are perfectly safe. The gun design hasn't survived 109 years for being unreliable and unsafe.
My bet is that many found comfort or peace of mind with thumb break holsters for the very reasons you explain.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
My years at work carrying a 1911 I used an original Roy Baker Pancake with a thumb break and never felt or had any issues with it at all and still have it just very worn looking but fine to use again we had to have a thumb break on them then changed to a Minute Man without one when we were allowed to and went to a General Officer's Model, the original Minute Man is one of my all time favorites for anything and still carry one daily for my G32.

awmp

Well-Known Fanatic
I would only recommend a thumb break if you are wearing the holster exposed. A good belt and a good IWB leather holster give good retention and comfort.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
I have one from the very beginning of carrying, but haven't used it in decades. I do have a shoulder holster with one that I use while riding my motorcycle. It's just easier to access and in the event I should go down it shouldn't cause my 1911 to go flying or disappear. A quality leather inside or outside waist holster is perfect. I as well have the tactical muffin tops to consider when picking out a holster.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't use a holster with one.
A quality holster will provide the retention needed. Some of the lesser quality holsters use the thumb break to retain the pistol.

Of course there are quality holsters that incorporate a thumb break as an option, some LE are required to have them
Nothing more to add...totally concur...I use both depending on the situation & mode of dress...but mostly no thumb break...I even use a military holster with a flap at times...

Maligator

Fanatic
I carried with a thumb break for years. I feel they were for nothing more than added security and retention. If you're running, jumping fences, fighting with people at a moments notice, they were good to have. Of course that was old school. Holsters have evolved and improved greatly over the years. In my opinion if you want one, get it, and practice, practice, practice so your muscle memory takes over. For a long time after not using a thumb break I still used my thumb to break the non existing thumb break snap. That's been long forgotten now for me.

sambob

New Fanatic
I own 2 1911's and have thumb break holsters I just don't carry my 1911's, my carry guns ride In a thumb break holsters for the extra retention and safety.

Old Bill

Active Fanatic
I am curious. What is your take on carrying a 1911 in an OWB holster with a thumbreak?
First off ... Many reputable companies produce thumb break holsters..They do so because it is a desired product proven over many years.

The issue is one of retention and the mechanical system selected to insure retention balancing speed of access.. Other than occasionally needing to replace the snap to insure it's proper operation (no different than maintaining any other mechanical device.. I never had problem accessing with the Thum break.

I wear a Yaqui slide now that I live a more sedate life than in the past. That being said.. Like everything there are appropriate uses based upon time/place/conditions.. There are benefits to the protection afforded by a quality closed leather holster with a Thumb Break. For many many years I used a heavy duty Enclosed Bottom Leather Thumb Break Holster... At the time I was engaged in rigorous outdoors activities moving about rock, brush, dirt, sand working in the field. The Thumb Break is quite nice.. You do not wind up with the gap between your Hammer and Firing Ping full of debris, dirt, mud when it is best to be free of such. Yet that was a balance... had things been even more debris filled I would have gone to a Flap Holster.. Maybe an enclosed shoulder holster...

Thumb Break Holsters are really just a variant (I would say upgrade) to other slower access type Retention Strap Holsters. A dummy cord is also often quite nice..I will spare the details but suffice to say it also comes in handy at times. So we are really talking about the environment and requirements driving the selection..

QuickDraw McGraw... IMO if one sticks to the same equipment the same gear.. the same weapon they will be so much better served.. That speed issue becomes largely negligible.. After 10-15 years of drawing the same weapon the same way from the same holster in the same position .. Unless you have Duct Taped it in place......You will be Fast enough.. That issue is really more about awareness, knowing where when etc etc .. is it not?

Now I have seen people get up and have their sidearm sitting on the bench seat in a restaurant when they did not notice it had left it's lovely $300 Ostrich holster.. Never had that happen myself (PBTJ) .. but even with a Yaqui Slide.. I would be informed shortly that I was leaving something behind (you can guess why) .. LOL

Now this is just my Opinion.. Paddle type Kydex Holster.. IMO your Trigger Finger has but one purpose around a firearm and it is not to fiddle with a holster release gadget.... Using it to release some paddle mechanism before bringing the firearm to bear.. I believe is madness.. and I am being careful not to overstate the point.. A "trigger finger" should only be used to actuate the Go Bang Switch and nothing else around a firearm.. The evidence supporting this position? ..pretty strong..an instance you can see with your own eyes involves one of the young fellas making YouTube Gun Videos.. He is using a paddle type holster with one gun during the first part of the video.. then he switches guns and holsters.. promptly shooting himself in the leg during the first draw after switching out guns and holsters.. I give him Kudos for posting the video.. Yet I doubt he fully understands the primary reason he shot himself in the leg which involved the recently practiced behavior which you can see he executed perfectly with the wrong holster and the wrong gun.. with a bad result. (maybe that "Muscle Memory" thing is real?) lol

Please: all flames are encouraged and thoroughly enjoyed...

"Cult of the Dummy Cord"

Latest posts