Think I'm going back to brand X

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
Think I'm going back to brand X.

I replaced these two broken strikers on my own. When my third broke, I emailed S&W and they had a new one in the mail box in 7 days.

IMG_0219.jpg

Then last night I was dry firing and noticed the nose of my striker laying on the floor..

Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 12:08 AM
To: Smith & Wesson Support
Subject: It happened again!

The nose on the new striker I received just a few days ago broke today during dryfire. I'm very sad because I love this pistol and this is the third striker I've gone through in the past 8,000 rounds. The first one lasted around 4,000. The other 2 around 2,000 each. Can I please have another one?

[William Gibson]
[My casa]
[OKC, OK, Zip]

Hi,

The striker assembly is going to wear prematurely if you dryfire at a high rate.
If you would like to purchase a new striker assembly you may contact our Parts
Department at 800-331-0852.
Thank you
kf

Since August or September last year my M&P9Pro has broken 3 strikers. Seems S&W doesn't want to send me another one. I sent them one more email with more imput. Maybe it'll work out. Or maybe I'll be shooting a 34 from now on.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow didn't know they had that problem. I went to order one as a range bag backup but the were $35 for the group and on back order. So I just got a trigger spring and a guiderod assembly but it was on back order as well. So I'm waiting on it. And eventualy I intend to get the striker assembly bought as a backup.

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
I understand it see's heavy use. Good number of rounds being shot and 10 hours of dryfire a week. I'd be fine with replacing one every 7,500-10,000 rounds. But I've already gone through 3 in 8,000 rounds.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I thought they had that problem fixed with the new style striker a long time ago? Mine still has the old style in it. Some dry fire, but admittedly not near as much as it should have. I did get a new style and have it in the range bag just in case.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Hmmm I don't dry fire quite that much. Maybe worth investign in a magazines worth of snap caps. Even so you'd think they'd offer a stronger replacement part for it. Maybe someone can make a titanium one. If you go back to that other brand ill totaly take the broken m&p off your hands :) with charging you a cent.

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
I thought they had that problem fixed with the new style striker a long time ago? Mine still has the old style in it. Some dry fire, but admittedly not near as much as it should have. I did get a new style and have it in the range bag just in case.

The one on the left(black) is 1st generation. Newer generations are stainless. The supposed wear design lasted twice as long as both of my 2nd gen strikers.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
The only gun smith makes thats worth a **** is a revolver and lately that statement isn't true....

Tell them your selling your mp and going back to GLOCK

You know, I've been thinking for some time now that Smith is trying to horn in on Taurus' turf. They seem to be trying their damndest to claim their spot in the "lacking quality" category. Have you been on the S&W forums lately and heard of all the problems? Meanwhile Taurus seems to be trying to get their act together. Go figure....

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Did S&W state a snap cap would prevent this?

Heard of this happing a few months ago over on the east coast. I was hoping it was a fluke since that pistol as well I believe only had around 10,000 rounds +/- ,

Hope they get it figured out for the shooters, but if not I see Glock and XD sells increasing.

Maybe one of the area machine shops can take on the challenge or a high school shop even. Seems if Glock and XDs dont have the problem ...... it shouldn't be a problem.

Would it be the temper or hardness of the striker? Not enough bearing surface on the face to absorb the force? Not enough weight to absorb the force and slow the speed down?

Maybe the specs are not in tolerance causing the striker to protrude at a slight angle or the striker tip is to wide?

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Hmmm I really wonder if. I can have someone make me a titanium one and if that would reduce breakage

Schuster

Well-Known Fanatic
I would say use those strikers for when you practice dry firing and hopefully they will get you a new one to use just to shoot with.

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
I would say use those strikers for when you practice dry firing and hopefully they will get you a new one to use just to shoot with.

I've been dry firing this week on a broken one, but I worry about dry firing my gun after the end of every stage before re-holstering.

In addition to remembering to put a working striker in immediately before every match and swap it out immediately after every match.

I'm going to send the gun to S&W so they can look at my slide and see if my slide is screwed up. It is shocking that no one makes an aftermarket striker for M&P series pistols. I've asked a friend of mine to see if he could machine a striker for me to test and see if it'll hold up any better than S&W's MIM version.

FWIW this is the last response from S&W:

You can dry fire the pistol, but if you do it at a high rate, it will break the striker
Eventually. No one is saying you cannot, but you would have to purchase your
Strikers because it is not a defect, it is wear and tear on the striker.

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
How much does S&W want for a new one?
The other option might be to say it just broke, and omit the part where you include the info about 10 hours of dry fire a week.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
How much does S&W want for a new one?
The other option might be to say it just broke, and omit the part where you include the info about 10 hours of dry fire a week.
that would be ok but since this is this 2nd or 3rd replacement, they may be onto him

Latest posts