The best TEOTWAWKI 22LR rifle is....?

LiveFreeorDie

Well-Known Fanatic
Please help me boys and girls. I need to replace an ancient 22 with a better, more dependable one and think I've narrowed the field to three: Ruger 10/22 ITAC, Sig 522, and GSG5. Anyone with knowledge or experience with any or all of these, please chime in. I'm looking for a semi-auto that will be suppressed (likely with an AAC Element). Recommendations on optics for this platform are also welcomed and encouraged. I'm also watching with keen interest Bigfutz's recent thread about best 22 ammo, but so far not many responses regarding subsonic and suppressed ammo. If you have an informed opinion, please include why your recommendation was made and where and for what price your preference can be purchased. I want to avoid buyer's remorse by picking up one model too quickly and I value your input. Thanking everyone in advance!!!!

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Basic 10/22 by far. I've had mine for 25+ years, rarely clean it, and I can hit cans at 50 yards with iron sights just like the day it was born. Use Ruger steel lip mags and it will never FTF, even with subs. If I were to have only one gun, the 10/22 would be it. (IMHO)

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
Caveat to the following: I presently do not own a .22lr rifle.

I recently read a thread on another forum concerning the .22 rifle, and someone made an interesting point: what are you going to do if your loose/destroy your magazine? Simple answer: have multiple magazines, or go single shot/tube fed.

Dunno if that's on your radar, but it certainly made me think.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
To me...you can't beat the old Ruger 10/22. It just works....It is great to 100 yards with iron sights...or, with a cheap scope...You can dress it up any way. You can buy aftermarket 25-30-50 round mags for it...or, just the factory rotary 10 rounder...and you can just drop 2 or 3 10 rounders in your pocket comfortable...and, Wallyworld sells replacements for about $15.00.

Or, you can jump on the new break-down model...Then you can just throw it in a pocket of your pack, or, just about anywhere...also...extras would be great barter material...

I just bought a brand new one. It has the plastic stock and plastic trigger guard...but...who cares. I bought it new at EasytCoast Guns for about $300. out the door...They are, to me, hard to beat...

Steve

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
my carbine wood/blue was 149.00 at wal mart. then i bought a bunch of the short 30 rd Ruger, i think mags. shorter than the butler creek 25 rd. never heard of them but at the shows i was getting them for from 5, 10 to 15 bucks for new ones. never had any feed problems. also several 10 rd. gun shows are great.

bought my son the lamanate/ stainless carbine for 200.00 also walmart.

even if you go to an AR conversion or deticated upper, everyone needs a Ruger 10/22.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
It's more expensive, but the S&W 15-22 is looking like an unbeatable combination of things for a .22 rifle.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
It's more expensive, but the S&W 15-22 is looking like an unbeatable combination of things for a .22 rifle.
Can you upgrade it with a 5.56/223 upper? Some AR style dedicated 22's use a standard AR-15 lower, but I'm not sure about the M&P.

jgodfrey

Well-Known Fanatic
I have several 22s and keep going to the 10/22 for shooting. The Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope is excellent and fairly priced. It has the bullet drop reticle and Nikon's website can provide the exact amount of drop for the ammo you prefer. I prefer mini mag ammo. With a lightened trigger it runs like a sewing machine. My neighbor actually thought I was shooting full auto! Winchester Super X ammo stovepipes at least once per 25 rnd magazine.

Magnum Research has some super sweet 22 rifles out now if you can find them. They are basically souped up Ruger 10/22s and even take the same mags.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
11B3XCIB said:
Can you upgrade it with a 5.56/223 upper? Some AR style dedicated 22's use a standard AR-15 lower, but I'm not sure about the M&P.

The 15-22 has a polymer lower and upper...I didn't know the answer to your question so I did some research. From what I found, and this was on AR15.com, is that "S&W changed the dimensions just enough to prevent a 15-22 upper from fitting a standard AR-15 lower, and vice-versa". I couldn't find anything more official for you.

thehammer69

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
11B3XCIB said:

A 5.56 upper will bolt to it BUT there is no buffer tube to insert a buffer and spring. The tube coming off the reciever is plastic and one piece molded with the lower reciever and has no hole.

mcdaniel

Well-Known Fanatic
There are so many good answers to this question but I think there are 3 best choices, depending on situation,

1) 22lr carbine- I like the 10/22 for a lot of reasons, but there are some other great ones.

2) dedicated 22lr upper for your AR- if you have the room it's a great platform and if you use your AR you obviously know it.

3) drop in 22lr kit for AR- same as above, but way more compact, although less accurate at longer distances.

I've shot all three extensively, right now I only own a 10/22 out of that list, although a 22lr upper is on my very short list.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
mcdaniel said:
There are so many good answers to this question but I think there are 3 best choices, depending on situation,

1) 22lr carbine- I like the 10/22 for a lot of reasons, but there are some other great ones.

2) dedicated 22lr upper for your AR- if you have the room it's a great platform and if you use your AR you obviously know it.

3) drop in 22lr kit for AR- same as above, but way more compact, although less accurate at longer distances.

I've shot all three extensively, right now I only own a 10/22 out of that list, although a 22lr upper is on my very short list.

I like the idea of a .22lr dedicated upper, but the ones I've seen are $300+, when an entire 15-22 is not much more. Which .22 upper are you looking at?

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
I've resisted posting in this thread until now but here goes. Remember these are my opinions and YMMV.

First the GSG is crap in terms of longevity & durability. Is it cool and fun to shoot, hell yeah, but it won't last in this "situation". That's one down.

The Sig is sweet looking and appears to function well although I have no personnel experience with one. But dayum at $600 and 6 pounds I'll pass. Two down.

And the winner is..............ding, ding, ding, the Ruger 10/22. Yup it's the best TEOTWAWKI rifle of the bunch. Add a can and you're done. Sure it's the ugliest one of the three but there are plenty of aftermarket goodies to choose from. BTW I run a Choate folder on mine. Trigger pull is easily improved and with a Tubb CS recoil spring it will run any combo of super or subsonic ammo.
It's a full pound lighter than the Sig too.

SuperChuck

Well-Known Fanatic
$249-279 and you have one of the most accessorizable and aftermarket supported rimfire rifle in existance. Buy some spare trigger group parts and you don't have to do anything to it for 10,000-20,000 rounds.

Ruger actually have their own 25 round magazines out now, and the aftermarket 30's have been out for 20+ years.. so its not at a magazine disadvantage.

Its compact, easily dressed up or dulled down. I've always figured that I needed a "reach out and touch 'em rifle", and my 10/22 for when the fast close, accurate shots are needed. I have well over 15,000-20,000 rounds through mine and no failures.

SC

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going to have to agree with Clicker and SuperChuck. Did anyone mention the 10/22 is ball-bat reliable and will eat anything you feed it? It would be my go-to choice.

LiveFreeorDie

Well-Known Fanatic
Your responses are why this is one of the best forums I've ever been on--you're willing to share knowledge and experience to support opinions. Thanks to you all! Clicker: I'm not gonna ask why you were resistant to post, but yours was one of the most useful, so thanks. I knew the Sig was not cheap and your assurance the GSG was crap settled this issue for me. jgodfrey: I'll check out the Nikon scope. I wasn't aware anyone made a BDC reticle for .22.

So, the Ruger 10/22 ITAC it shall be. Silent Bob, I know you had a couple very recently--hold one for me. I'll be by very soon.

Thanks again everyone!

bilall

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the Marlin 60 and the very similar model 75 carbine. I've had both in the past and loved shooting them. I also have a Ruger 10/22. Each has its benefits,
- Model 60 holds lots of rounds and is very easy and fast to load, no magazines to lose or break.
- Model 75 is very light and compact - holds a few rounds less than the 60 due to shorter length. Very fast loading from preloaded tubes.
- Ruger 10/22 allows easy swap of preloaded magazines and available extended-capacity mags, giving lots of firepower.
- Ruger 10/22 seems to feed better after lots of rounds at the range without cleaning
Overall, I'd give the 10/22 a very slight edge over the Marlins.
As much as I like these autoloaders, I would probably select a lever action such as the Henry if I could only have one.

Latest posts