Chambers Custom The Barrel Fit Challenge

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
I have not checked any of mine yet but I am wondering........

If I were to do this test with a gun that has always run perfectly and it failed, what would be the point? What would it tell me?

Would it be an indicator of potential short life span? Is this a test more appropriate to an off the bench pistol prior to use or for checking at 2000, 5000, 10000, etc?

Could a pistol be hand fit so it worked perfectly and yet fail this test? Or is this the de facto test of precision fit?

Please advise

Thanks

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
In post # 8 above....exactly what am I seeing?

The ink not touched should have been worn to a shine on the $7500 example?

The ink only barely removed on the $6500? And that shows the barrel and barrel link and slide stop are not fitted evenly or at all?

I appreciate your insight.

Thanks

Joe C

Pass the mustard
Custom Builder
It should be smooth all the way across but not go up the ramp at all?

Duke, yes, in an ideal world, the flat "bearing surface" and rear curves should be contacting the slide stop and the ramp up to the bearing surface should have no contact.

Joe C

Pass the mustard
Custom Builder
I have not checked any of mine yet but I am wondering........

If I were to do this test with a gun that has always run perfectly and it failed, what would be the point? What would it tell me?

Would it be an indicator of potential short life span? Is this a test more appropriate to an off the bench pistol prior to use or for checking at 2000, 5000, 10000, etc?

Could a pistol be hand fit so it worked perfectly and yet fail this test? Or is this the de facto test of precision fit?

Please advise

Thanks

There are many guns out there that probably run perfectly that don't have barrel fit. That doesn't mean they are properly built, especially depending on the asking price. In a sub $2000.00 gun I really don't expect a barrel fit. In a $7500.00 custom I expect the barrel to be fit as properly as possible in all regards. Poor barrel fit means poor accuracy and in some cases parts failure. Yes, a gun can be fit in such a way that everything else is perfect but there is no barrel leg fit.

In post # 8 above....exactly what am I seeing?

The ink not touched should have been worn to a shine on the $7500 example?

The ink only barely removed on the $6500? And that shows the barrel and barrel link and slide stop are not fitted evenly or at all?

I appreciate your insight.

Thanks

In both cases you mention above there is little to no barrel leg fit.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
As many are noticing, there are many different ideologies when it comes to barrel fit. I haven't seen many, if any, builders or manufactures refuting Joe's philosophy. I hate to make assumptions but this lack of argument from others would tends to make me believe this is the proper method of fit. I really would like to hear and understand why others don't fit girls like CCP. I would think it is either lack of knowledge, lack of effort, or lack of time. Other builders do seem to have A method that creates similar accuracy from a new gun. My thoughts are what happens to the accuracy after the parts are beat into submission and battered into place?

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
As many are noticing, there are many different ideologies when it comes to barrel fit. I haven't seen many, if any, builders or manufactures refuting Joe's philosophy. I hate to make assumptions but this lack of argument from others would tends to make me believe this is the proper method of fit. I really would like to hear and understand why others don't fit girls like CCP. I would think it is either lack of knowledge, lack of effort, or lack of time. Other builders do seem to have A method that creates similar accuracy from a new gun. My thoughts are what happens to the accuracy after the parts are beat into submission and battered into place?
For me it comes down to price point. If my 1911 was $550 I would not expect a full barrel fit. In the $4k-$10k range it better have a full barrel fit.

What frustrates me is seeing the money guys are spending on builds and I can achieve better results in my garage with minimal training and experience .

Joe C

Pass the mustard
Custom Builder
There is a lot going on there. :eek:o_O:oops::eek:View attachment 3971

Yep...a lot wrong...

As many are noticing, there are many different ideologies when it comes to barrel fit. I haven't seen many, if any, builders or manufactures refuting Joe's philosophy. I hate to make assumptions but this lack of argument from others would tends to make me believe this is the proper method of fit. I really would like to hear and understand why others don't fit BARRELS like CCP. I would think it is either lack of knowledge, lack of effort, or lack of time. Other builders do seem to have A method that creates similar accuracy from a new gun. My thoughts are what happens to the accuracy after the parts are beat into submission and battered into place?

There, I fixed that for you. The only builders I've ever seen get the same accuracy long term out of their guns that I have, generally do it the same way I do because they were taught the same was I was or very similar.

For me it comes down to price point. If my 1911 was $550 I would not expect a full barrel fit. In the $4k-$10k range it better have a full barrel fit.

What frustrates me is seeing the money guys are spending on builds and I can achieve better results in my garage with minimal training and experience .

And now that you have seen and (I assume shot Steve's) you know how it can be so your expectations are now founded by your own experience.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I had a tough time getting good picts of this one. All Sharpied up: 40044004

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I still say DW is the best production gun for the money... I think that is more of a glare than barrel bump, but I am happy with it.

Latest posts