Chambers Custom The Barrel Fit Challenge

1911U004

Well-Known Fanatic
@alias so just to be clear here you, don't see a problem with someone spending $7K on a "custom" gun and having the builder install, what appears to be, a drop in barrel?

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
@alias so just to be clear here you, don't see a problem with someone spending $7K on a "custom" gun and having the builder install, what appears to be, a drop in barrel?
I personally don't.

If the pistol build details were discussed and the purchaser sought out those details because that is what the builder is know for then how is that bad? If the builder has 100 hours into cosmetics, small parts fit and finish, hand checkering and so on. Why should that gun sell for less then someone else's build that has 100 hours into it but more time was spent on barrel fit then cosmetics or beavertail fit?( I'm using the 100 hours as an approximation. I have no idea the actual billed hours.)

Now if the builder gave an accuracy guaranty and the pistol did not deliver that because the barrel was not fit correctly or the pistol did not function because of the "poor" barrel fit thats a different issue.

If you asked 5 smiths their opinion on barrel hood to breach face dimensions or upper lug engagement you will probably get 5 different answers. So who is right?

Last edited:

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
There is obviously a right way and a wrong way to install a barrel.
What is right or more proper? Common sense would lead one to believe that a barrel with little to no lower leg contact isn't properly installed. If I paid for a barrel install, I would surely be disappointed if that new barrel were installed poorly or proper steps were missed.

"If you asked 5 smiths their opinion on barrel hood to breach face dimensions or upper lug engagement you will probably get 5 different answers. So who is right?"

This is an assumption based upon what? You are a rather talented home smith. Seems you installed your project gun barrel with results that match those that JoeC has talked about. I also understand that you talked to at least two other popular 1911 Smiths about barrel install procedures. Funny how your lower leg engagement is better than some shops that do this for a living.

That is a bit confusing to me.......

Joe C

Pass the mustard
Custom Builder
I personally don't.

If the pistol build details were discussed and the purchaser sought out those details because that is what the builder is know for then how is that bad? If the builder has 100 hours into cosmetics, small parts fit and finish, hand checkering and so on. Why should that gun sell for less then someone else's build that has 100 hours into it but more time was spent on barrel fit then cosmetics or beavertail fit?( I'm using the 100 hours as an approximation. I have no idea the actual billed hours.)

Now if the builder gave an accuracy guaranty and the pistol did not deliver that because the barrel was not fit correctly or the pistol did not function because of the "poor" barrel fit thats a different issue.

If you asked 5 smiths their opinion on barrel hood to breach face dimensions or upper lug engagement you will probably get 5 different answers. So who is right?

My personal thoughts are that if someone puts 100 hours into cosmetics and doesn't know how to fit a barrel then you should probably save the money of them "building" the gun and send them a Ruger, RIA, Colt or Springer to just do cosmetics on. But $7k for a gun with no fitting and just some fancy cosmetic work? That would be like buying a corvette with a 4 banger under the hood. But it's not even about that. It's more about knowing what you are getting. Hey, if you are happy paying top dollar for a "custom" that isn't fit properly by the standards myself and many more before me used, it's your money.

What I can tell you is this. I've seen guns by Shockey, Giles, Chow, Curtis, Clark Sr., Sams, Marvel, Keefer, Dinan, Day, Maples and a whole host of other old time 1911 smiths. They all have one thing in common...good to great barrel fit on the lower legs to slide stop. And many times they had to work with the factory barrels, welding them up, cutting them back down to fit, etc. So if you think I'm wrong, why would guys for the past 60+ years strive for that perfection? Yet today it's seen as, meh, not that important...

I don't really care what folks think were my reasons. I've explained that it's about education. Those who want the education listen. Those who don't, talk behind my back. My door, phone, email, pm is always open to those with a willingness to learn. Those who have contacted me know that. I'm just not into good nuff. And I've seen enough work come through my shop and when I worked at Marvel to know the difference.

DukeSoprano

Well-Known Fanatic
May I ask, what part of the barrel fitting process pertains to better results to the legs? It appears to me being a NOVICE that the legs would be over sized and filed down until the desired fit is obtained?

Joe C

Pass the mustard
Custom Builder
May I ask, what part of the barrel fitting process pertains to better results to the legs? It appears to me being a NOVICE that the legs would be over sized and filed down until the desired fit is obtained?

Duke, that is the basic premise. Except no one with any acumen uses files anymore.

DukeSoprano

Well-Known Fanatic
8345e49271e630660dc1ce36e539dc16.jpg

How does that look? It is hard to tell in the pic, all the ink remains on the upper legs and the curves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Joe C

Pass the mustard
Custom Builder
It is not good Duke...but that's just my opinion.

Latest posts