Taking a gamble

billdozer

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm taking a gamble and selling my 1301 (which has been a perfect shotgun) because I made mistake of playing with a Browning a5. It's got a lot of good features, some of them are great. Anyone else have one?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I had one. It is a nice gun but I wouldn't sell my Benelli to buy one. I plan to get another to play with as well as a 1301.

Id call swapping a "perfect shotgun" for another gun, something else besides a gamble.

billdozer

Well-Known Fanatic
The only knock is how deep the tube sets in the receiver, you can't be sloppy when loading. Other than that it has been a perfect shotgun. If I could talk my son into selling the VersaMax(which I hate) I would definitely prefer to keep it. It has very little recoil, and has been very low maintenance, and reliable.

billdozer

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess I've had really good luck with all my shotguns. Other than a 11-87 they've all ran. The best so far has been the 1301. If they fix how deep the tube sets,I would go back in a heartbeat. I've spent a little time behind an m2, I wasn't impressed. It just may not have fit me well. The a5 seemed to fit me well and appears well made. Even without loading port mods, the shotgun is easy to load, no need to weld the lifter. So open up the port in your garage and throw a tube on (possibly a rear sight) vs. $400 worth of work to get it race ready.

jtischauser

billdozer said:
The only knock is how deep the tube sets in the receiver, you can't be sloppy when loading. Other than that it has been a perfect shotgun. If I could talk my son into selling the VersaMax(which I hate) I would definitely prefer to keep it. It has very little recoil, and has been very low maintenance, and reliable.
What do you mean by the tube sets too deep in the receiver? Do you mean that it extends to far toward the stock or it's farther from the load port closer to the chamber?

billdozer

Well-Known Fanatic
It sets closer to the chamber. If you get one, I'd recommend having someone(like Tony re-engrave the serial number, so you can lower the side wall more. Other than having to have perfect form when loading(because of the depth) it is a perfect shotgun. If I don't like the a5, I'm gonna go back to it and move the numbers.

jtischauser

billdozer said:
It sets closer to the chamber. If you get one, I'd recommend having someone(like Tony re-engrave the serial number, so you can lower the side wall more. Other than having to have perfect form when loading(because of the depth) it is a perfect shotgun. If I don't like the a5, I'm gonna go back to it and move the numbers.
So it's just too deep to reach easily for loading? I'm sitting on a Franchi Affinity that has that issue. I think it's deeper then I renember my short lived A5 to be.

BTW I think you need to have a manufacturers license to move serial numbers don't you?

great gun, only doesnt load as fast because of how its manufactured? Deal killer in 3gun shotguns.
I do have a couple 1301s that im modding right now. it seems like the TX quad load is the way to stuff it.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Jesse Tischauser said:
BTW I think you need to have a manufacturers license to move serial numbers don't you?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is correct

billdozer

Well-Known Fanatic
I contacted the atf in kc, they said as long as they meet their engraving requirements, and you engrave it visible on the receiver, BEFORE you touch other one. It's okay. That was from an actual field agent on the phone, not the internet.

jtischauser

billdozer said:
I contacted the atf in kc, they said as long as they meet their engraving requirements, and you engrave it visible on the receiver, BEFORE you touch other one. It's okay. That was from an actual field agent on the phone, not the internet.
But now I'm getting it from the Internet which is exactly how the last guy told me it needed to be done by a manufacturer after he called some ATF idiot that wasn't sure either. Moral of the story is do whatever you can live with.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I don't think laser engraving is going to be deep enough

"serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch"

That was from one of the ATF tech bulletins. I would want the serial number deeper then .003" but that is me.

You might want to check with the ATF headquarters in Virginia. Not saying the IOI you spoke with didn't know the regulations, but it is best to get those determinations higher up the chain. I have been given conflicting information in the past.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
The TX quad load is my favorite method. I've tried the FL quad load with mixed results, the TX is easiest for me.

Latest posts