Switchblades WTH?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I may, or may not, own and have carried knives that "opened automatically by hand pressure applied to a button" for years. Was that sort of thing frowned upon before today? How did I come to own one if they were illegal? Or was it just illegal to carry them "upon or about your person"? (I love lawyer talk)

Text from the bill signed today by the Governor

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
b60cbd609ffaf21a2757d36a8e103aeb.jpg
92c2a8fb1d2f7dd99584a3c66b320dde.jpg

This is from 03 sucka you need to polish up on your state laws!

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Old outdated law. I carried an automatic open knife when I lived in Oklahoma. It was a push button Smith & Wesson Special OpsTanto. Only thing any cop ever questioned about it was the length.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought one at an OKC gun show back in the mid-90's.

The seller (he had a table full of them) told me that he made these himself as collector items. Per his version of the law, they were legal to own but carry at your own risk.

Its still sitting somewhere in the gun safe.

Texas made them legal last fall. For a while afterwards lots of tables with nothing but automatic knives appeared at the local gunshows. Bought a nice Kalashnikov for under $50 for use as a utility knife.

Bill

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never been really concerned about carrying a switchblade. My carry knives over the years have worked fine for me. I'm more surprised that it's happening. I'm going to start looking for one just cause I can. Going to try and find one that's quality made yet won't break the bank. Any suggestions?

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
I've owned a infidel and as stated they suck I actually traded mine for a glock. I have a benchmade auto Stryker and it's ok. I've also had several spyderco's but my Emerson cqc7 and commander are constructed better plus the wave feature is faster than any auto open

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
This has been a peeve of mine for years. They say we're legal to carry a .454 Casull should we choose to, but certain knives we just can't be trusted with. :rtfm:

Finally they've gotten a little closer to logic. But I still want to know what a derp dirk knife is. :smiley_confused1:

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott Hearn said:
.... But I still want to know what a derp dirk knife is. :smiley_confused1:
A long dagger carried by several different navys during the time ships used sails. I believe the name came from a Scottish or maybe Danish word....

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Just to clarity, it never was unlawful to HAVE a knife that "opened automatically by hand pressure applied to a button". Just unlawful to CARRY one

Latest posts