Survival Gun short list...

EdmondMember

New Fanatic
. . . if the economy truly collapses and we sink into a real depression type state. . . .

That being said...things are going south, . . .

What guns do you hope to take with you and why (and in what priority)?

This is my first post here, but I've been prowling here for a while.

I've been thinking about this topic seriously for the last year and agree that a severe natural disaster is the most likely disaster to prepare for. After some reading and thinking, I decided that we were pretty unprepared for an extended disaster recovery period. So, I spent a few months selling unneeded possessions to raise some 'prep' funds. I turned that unnecessary "stuff" into cash and bought a good supply of bulk food and water storage gear. I also bought garden seeds. But, I'm nowhere in near the category of a true prepper and will never be featured on that TV show.

Then, there's defense. I'd sold most of my firearms over the years and, other than my beloved S&W 686, I really didn't have a way to defend my home from desperate and potentially violent people. I'll never be a big gun collector and recognize that this is heresy to many. That's just not where I'm at. But, given the state of world/U.S. affairs, I am very concerned about defending and protecting my family.

I decided to buy a single rifle that I could use for hunting and (Heaven forbid) home defense. I decided that a .30 caliber round was required (others will disagree) and I picked up a Mini-30 Tacitical in 7.62X39. For the unlikely need for emergency deer hunting and home/neighborhood defense, this one gun seemed like decent compromise. Thinking more, I might add a scoped .22 rifle to enable squirrel/rabbit hunting as well. Anyway, this is what I did. Your mileage may vary.

Oldtimer

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been storing food, enough to last for a couple months. I also plan on supplementing with some of the varmints around here which are very plentyful if things don't change to bad. I live in the woods and have plenty wood for fire. Would like to find a better supply of water, have a lot stored already but not enough. If the natural disaster doesn't mess up the the red river could get some water from there.Have everything from 22 up to 7.62xr54 and plenty of things in between. Crossbow, knives, traps and plenty ammo for everything. Would like to have more garden supplys and 5gal buckets for everyday use. Most of the folks that live within a mile of me are a lot older that me and not very well prepared! I have been look at a little gen but can't decide on one I like, any thoughts would be appreciated. Ooh and I don't plan on leaving since I am so far off the beaten track not too many will be this way and gas will be a problem with out elect unless you find a POV with some in the tank.

Latest posts