Survival Gun short list...

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
Not sure if this is in the right place or not, but I have a question...

I've been thinking, (dangerous...) and I've come to the conclusion that the zombies aren't coming. I also very seriously doubt we'll have any kind of terrorist attacks on a large scale that cripple our gov't (think of TV's "Jericho). The only real crap-hit-the-fan scenario I can imagine taking place would be if the economy truly collapses and we sink into a real depression type state. We survived The Great Depression, but today it would just turn most of America into one giant Katrina-fied superdome.

That being said...things are going south, the welfare mentality is beginning to riot in the streets and you've heard that roving bands of looters are getting closer to your neighborhood-time to head for the hills! You've got a little time to pack so your SUV is loaded with all of the freeze-dried and canned food you've been hoarding away...

Gear has already been covered quite well in other threads (and maybe this has too), but my question is -

What guns do you hope to take with you and why (and in what priority)? And please be realistic.Yeah, I'd love to take a SAW with thousands of rounds, but, seriously...

My list for now:

1) My handgun (S&W M&P 9mm, for personal/family defense)
2) My "assault" rifle (AK-47, hunting/defense of property/home)
3) A precision rifle for long range (.308 bolt action, but maybe an AR010). This would be more for hunting than "sniping". I'm not building a militia, just trying to protect and feed my family.

A shotgun would be nice, but I see these three as being the top three. What about you? How would your list be different and why?

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I look at it all the same - protecting self, family and property. If I had to limit my firearms it would go something like this.
22 rim-fire pistol or rifle - lean toward rifle for less noise in 22LR and a common model in case I have to scrounge
med bore handgun the family can handle in a common cal, and manufacturer
center-fire rifle in a common caliber, make and model just in case I have to scrounge
I would like a 3.5" chambered shotgun just in case I have to scrounge but figure I can cut down 3.5 shells or use the components - 12ga of course.

Just glad I don't have to limit myself. Afa priority everyone has their views. I would start with shotgun and 22. then pistol and center-fire rifle. Reasons cost is one but mostly you can do nearly anything with the first two and I would think if you have your family or are by yourself you are not looking for trouble. Med bore pistol next because it is nice to have always around and gives more oompf for family members. Lastly center-fire rifle because it may cost the most as does the ammo for it. 100 yds you should do fine with slugs or even further so the centerfire rifle comes into play where in a defense situation. It has its purpose but i see it being specialized unless box fed to help hold off the hordes in which case you are tits up anyway.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
First off I'm not going to be running. If I ever see this sort of chaos I will be the one coming to take stuff. I'll have all my guns mounted on my truck like the A Team!

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
That is also my idea. Sharing is caring, but not sharing is very dangerous.

Ah, forgot:
Glock 17
Benelli, inertia type
My AR15

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
Sorry bro sounds like your ****ed when the zombie start their terror attacks. I'm totally set up for this and if I had to leave and take 3 guns with me it would be

Ak-47
Some type of glock
And a 12 gauge pump

Then I will be off to find one of those sucker who stock up on all the food and supplies for me and take what I want.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I live in the sticks, so I'm not "runnin fer the hills". I have a couple neighbors who are very much into guns.

I need to stock up on supplies, but if it actually got down to a nationwide superdome situation, even having 6 months food and ammo supplies aren't going to do you a lot of good. It would take longer than that for things to calm down. IMO

If I was talking extended packing trip in the boonies, I'd try to find one of those Savage 24s in .22 lr and either 20 or 12ga, and then carry some kind of handgun capable of deer / small bear. .44 Mag probably; either that or .45 acp.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
It is interesting to see the various views. I looked at this as first getting out and then trying to be low key and protection as I viewed the OP intent.
Myself I would hold up. There are a lot of folks I know in the near area and we could always consolidate resources and help protect each other. Of course if you don't have food, water, guns, ammo, medical equipment you just became the detail beech if you are even allowed to stay around. Nice thing is all are vets. Now if things are not bad, yet seem to be going that way I would look at family and friends in other areas to see whats going on. We are really better off than many states that have more population and larger built up areas. Since I am not in the two big cities or its surrounding burbs I am better off than most.

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
We are really better off than many states that have more population and larger built up areas. Since I am not in the two big cities or its surrounding burbs I am better off than most.

And we can go in any direction.

HK P-30 9mm
Stag 3G 5.56 + Nordic NC-22 upper with suppressor
Remington 870

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I live in the sticks, so I'm not "runnin fer the hills". I have a couple neighbors who are very much into guns.

I need to stock up on supplies, but if it actually got down to a nationwide superdome situation, even having 6 months food and ammo supplies aren't going to do you a lot of good. It would take longer than that for things to calm down. IMO

Ration and supplement as much as possible. A very small garden can be a great resource as well as fish and small game now an then. Where I am we have cattle, wildlife, and fish. Now getting to it an back may be a problem but when I have geese and cattle right here I think at least a couple of them will help out early on.

My biggest concern about this type of scenario is TP!

I stopped worrying about what ifs and just put supplies back for emergencies be it natural or man made. Only difference is the amount of ammo. I am used to shooting a lot and haven't been so that is by default is covered.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Ration and supplement as much as possible. A very small garden can be a great resource as well as fish and small game now an then. Where I am we have cattle, wildlife, and fish. Now getting to it an back may be a problem but when I have geese and cattle right here I think at least a couple of them will help out early on.

My biggest concern about this type of scenario is TP!

I stopped worrying about what ifs and just put supplies back for emergencies be it natural or man made. Only difference is the amount of ammo. I am used to shooting a lot and haven't been so that is by default is covered.

Oh, I by no means think it's not valuable to stockpile, just think it's humorous when people act like they've got enough to last through the situation.

We need a bus to drive to the big city to get more stuff.

Yes... with a couple Ma Deuces on top.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh, I by no means think it's not valuable to stockpile, just think it's humorous when people act like they've got enough to last through the situation.

If I had more money than worries i would have enough food to last a great while and a missile silo in my back yard - refurbed of course. I have to do with what I have, so I prepare the best I can and hope for the best and that means prep for general / all emergencies with ideas how to stretch it.

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
Very interesting...just so you know, I am using your input as a learning guide to build my gun "needs list". I actually have the first two items on my list and the third may have changed to a shotgun. I don't have a very large gun budget by any stretch of the word, so I have to carefully plan what my next purchase will be and I want it to be based on practicality, not just how-cool-is-that wish lists.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Very interesting...just so you know, I am using your input as a learning guide to build my gun "needs list". I actually have the first two items on my list and the third may have changed to a shotgun. I don't have a very large gun budget by any stretch of the word, so I have to carefully plan what my next purchase will be and I want it to be based on practicality, not just how-cool-is-that wish lists.

Everything is situational. If trying to survive / protect you have the AK and MP5. Something a little less noisy for small game and a shotgun for everything (critters) and protection are good additions. Plus with the AK you have high firepower and med game taking ability and the MP9 is good for the family and their protection. I think what you have to look at is firearms that are multipurpose and covers your needs. Sounds like you are almost there. Ammo for the AK is cheap, 9x19 is very common, seems MPs are very common in the area and AKs have a proven record for durability and reliability. Sounds like you already have and or on your way to meeting basic goals. Don't forget to have the family practice with them.

Latest posts