Sunshine_Shooter's Shooting Log

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
A few weeks back on Sept. 17th I competed in my first 3-gun match, using a friend's shotgun (thanks man!). I had never run a Saiga-12 before (and performed poorly because of my lack of experience) but really enjoyed it. I shot 83 rounds of 9mm, 67 rounds of .223, and an undetermined amount of 12 gauge. I placed either dead last or next to last, I forget and it really doesn't matter. I haven't shot anything in the mean time, and I don't plan to do much shooting or training for a while anyway. I have my first kid due in the next week or so, and figured this was a good time to wrap up this year's training log. I'll pick up next year where I left off, unless I do some shooting sooner than that. I just don't foresee myself spending too much time at the range in the next few months with a newborn around. I do plan on getting back into the swing of things once the wife and I get adjusted to our new lives as parents, I just don't know how long that will take.

Looking back on the year itself, I'm fairly content. I could have shot more pistol and less rifle, though I accomplished the goals I set for myself. I actually reached them much faster than I thought I would. Not sure what my plans/goals for next year will be, too much change on the horizon to plot a course that far out.

Current totals:
M&P: 2273 (134%)
AR: 604 (100%)
RPR: 52 (82%)
O/U: 233 (144%*)
460 mag: 113 (N/A)

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Shot the inaugural UML match at USSA on Dec. 16th 2017, and a friend joined me. This is the first time I've fired a shot since Sept. I had actually prepped my guns for storage, but broke them out anyway. Though I was going in pretty cold, I did practice my rifle reloads the week before. The rifle reloads burned me in June at the Practical Rifle match and on a range trip later in the summer so I wanted to have them down pat. And I did, except for one stage where I switched shoulders and went dry and tried to reload wrong-shouldered for a single shot before dumping my rifle. I should have just dumped the rifle and cleaned up w/ my pistol and saved 5-7 seconds, but I didn't think of it at the time.

The match was fun, once we got the rules sorted out and got moving. The stage design seemed to favor tricking and confusing the shooters, with an abundance of targets that can only be hit from one small spot located in the middle of a straight away and targets around corners the opposite direction of two or three others that have to be engaged from that position. Each stage had targets that have to be hit with one weapon and other targets that have to be hit with another, and the stages were designed to force you to backtrack and run through the whole thing at least twice. I didn't like that aspect of it, personally. It started to feel like the stages weren't designed to see who can shoot better, but who can memorize target locations better. It reminds me of video games, where the map designers are trying to hide power ups and collectibles off to the side of the main quest. Except that in this case the player gets penalized for missing stuff that is purposefully hidden away, and they justified it as testing skills. I don't mind challenging targets and tests of skill, but if I cared that much I'd just make my own competition and design the stages myself.

I may be blowing this out of proportion a little, I still enjoyed the match and had fun. I finished 16 of 22 in TacOps, 27 of 37 overall. Not in the top half, but I performed to an acceptable level and got beat by superior shooters. I can live with that. For now.

Current totals:
M&P: 2409 (162%)
AR: 737 (100%)
RPR: 52 (82%)
O/U: 233 (144%*)
460 mag: 113 (N/A)

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Back in January I shot a USPSA match at Tri-City. Not much to say about it, shot 64 rounds of 9mm and placed 7th of 12 in Limited, 10th of 25 overall. I'm fine with these scores, though I'd like to start consistently placing in the top half of my division in the future.

Also, I sold the RPR since I don't actually shoot it very much. Still debating what to do with the money I got for it. Either buying a suppressor or a backup CCW gun. If I do get a backup CCW gun, what do I get? Do I get a Ruger LCR for times that my full size M&P9 daily driver won't work? Do I get it in .38 Spl, or in .327 Fed Mag for the extra round? Do I just get a M&P9c? Should I get my current daily carry gun a new slide milled for a dot? So many options.

Current Totals:
M&P: 2409
AR: 737
RPR: SOLD
O/U: 233
460 mag: 113

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I bought a suppressor with the RPR's money. Now we play the waiting game...

In shooting news, I've signed up for the Twilight Run N gun 2018. I've just got to get a light on my AR, some sort of headlamp, my gear carrying method sorted out, and my cardio up to par.

I can probably carry the minimum required ammo in my guns and in the pouches that I have, but how much extra should I bring? I can bring 13% extra pistol in the pouches I currently have, and 50% extra rifle. I might bring extra pistol rounds and my UPLULA. Not sure how well I'll be able to reload while jogging/walking (if I reload any mags, it will be towards the end of the 5k), but I'll probably be able to do it better w/ the loader. But what else should I bring? Obviously water, and ear & eye pro. Gloves? Dump pouch? I really should upgrade my belt before the run.

I just need to do a practice run and pressure test my gear between now and May 12th. If anyone has done one of the Pawnee Run N Guns and has any advice, please leave it here! I thank you in advance.

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Long time, no update. Here goes:

The Twilight Run N Gun 2018 back in May was fun, and I have every intention of doing it again in 2019. I finished 9th of 14 in my division (2-Gun), 13th of 22 overall. Right in the meaty part of the bell curve, and what a bell curve it was. I wrote a multi-part series leading up to the even and documenting my performance on my blog, Progunmillenial. I shot 129 rounds of 9mm and 49 rounds of .223. The current totals will be updated at the bottom.

That was the last time I actually fired a bullet, and we're past the middle of July. I've been absolutely horrible about shooting the last 8 1/2 months, but I plan on getting back on the wagon soon. I have a practical rifle match in Coweta coming up the 2nd Sunday in August, plus I think I found some time each week I can carve out for shooting. I also would like to attend the CCW match at OKCGC, but I'll have to wait and see about that one.

Speaking of CCW, I purchased a new CCW gun this week. I'm not replacing my current CCW (M&P 1.0 4.25" 9mm), but complimenting it. I purchased a Ruger LCRx in .327 Fed as both a backup and a gun for NPE. I hope to get a little cash stashed away so that I can purchase and mount an RMR to my M&P, but in order to do that I need something to carry while my slide is gone. Instead of just purchasing another slide, I decided to fill multiple holes in my setup with the same gun. Now I have a full sized carry gun, a super concealable carry gun, a backup gun, and a revolver. I also purchased a holster for the new addition, some ammo (both range and defensive loads), a speed loader, and I picked up some 9mm range ammo off of Brownells on sale.

The above was funded by the sale of some admittedly nice Henry lever guns that I'd have liked to keep, but was willing to part with. I sold them to a coworker who I am very sure will enjoy them. Is there a better person to sell a gun to than one who you know will enjoy it? I don't believe so.

Now to get back in the habit of practicing regularly and restoring my lost proficiency. Hopefully having a double action revolver will let me speed that process up some. Did I mention I'm now writing a blog? I update it every Friday morning. Pro-Gun Millennial.

Current Totals:
M&P: 2538
AR: 786
Suppressor: NFA Jail

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
I finally made it to the range this week. This is the first time I've been for the sole purpose of practice in... let's just say a while.

First thing I did was the Press Check "No Fail Shot", as it is designed to be shot cold. From 25 yards, draw and fire 1 shot in under 3.0 sec, ten times. Any rounds landing outside the black means you fail the drill. I made 5 of 10.

Next up was the Big Tex Outdoors Drill of the Month for August 2018. From 10 yards, draw and fire 10 rounds, support side only, in under 30 sec. When I was reading it I totally missed the time limit. Watching the video, I only got the first 3 rounds off in 30 seconds, so I totally screwed it up. If you just score the target, I scored 98/100 - 4X. Not a bad score as far as I'm concerned.

The next thing I shot was the infamous Dot Torture drill, from 3 yards. I scored 35/50. I'm really disappointed in my score on this, as much or more than my score on the No Fail Shot. The thing that really sank my score was my tendency to push the muzzle down. Dots 6, 7, 9, and 10 are supposed top be done at speed, and that's where I dropped 11 of the 15 points.

After this I just burned some more 9mm at various ranges and worked on some cadence shooting. As I did this, I noticed my flinch getting worse. I didn't get a picture of it, but there was a very consistent group of bullets to the bottom-left of the center of the target that extended as I backed up. I know what I need to work on. Total 9mm fired: 149

At this point I broke out the LCRx in .327 Federal Magnum. I had yet to shoot this gun, but now I feel confident enough in it to carry it. I'll describe the gun like this: surprisingly stout. As in, I had to stop halfway through a box of 50 because my hand hurt and I was developing a significant flinch. That, and the cylinder was getting too hot to continue without gloves. That gun needs some serious dry fire at home, for my sake. Total .327 shot: 43

I followed up the snubbie with some rounds through my AR. Just some cadence practice, some ready-ups, and shot some 1-reload-1's. I have a rifle match this coming weekend and I needed to get the rust off. Rifle skill sticks around longer and comes back faster than pistol skill, at least with me. The big takeaways from my time with the rifle is that I need to work on my face positioning and I need to be reminded of the massive mechanical offset of an AR at close distances. Total .223 shot: 43

I finished off the session with some 100 grain Gold Dots through the .327. These things are loaded hot. Not to an unusable level, but plenty hot enough that I have zero concerns over it's effectiveness on two-legged predators. Seriously, if you have any doubts about the .327, shoot some Gold Dots through it. You'll change your mind. I wouldn't say that I've 'broken in' the LCRx, but I now have a much fuller understanding of that little gun. That includes the speed loader. Suffice it to say that I'll be carrying a bottom-feeder daily for the foreseeable future.

Pics of the targets I mention can be found at Pro-Gun Millennial, link in my signature.

Current Totals:
M&P: 2687
AR: 829
LCRx: 43

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Range day last Saturday. Didn't shoot a ton, basically did another No Fail (which I failed) and zeroing about 4 rifles, and finished off my box of .327 fedmag ammo. One of those rifles was an Enfield Mk 4. It's not my rifle, it's a friend's. I had barely seen one in person before and was pleasantly surprised by the gun. The recoil was on the mild side. I had heard that the .303 was a relatively tame cartridge (compared to its contemporaries) and was pleased to find it true. If I had to have a mil surp rifle, I wouldn't mind it being an Enfield in .303.

Finished the session with some draw & fire repetitions from 5, 10, and 15 yards. I shot this better than I thought I would. I don't remember if I had my timer set to 1.5 seconds or 2 seconds, but it was probably 2.

Now to keep training for the October Twilight Run 'N Gun in Pawnee.

Current Totals:
M&P: 2731
AR: 838
LCRx: 58

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Another monthly range visit and another practical rifle match in Coweta in prep for the Twilight Run N Gun on the 27th. Not a lot of interesting stuff to say, just getting my guns zeroed and working on keeping the rust away. About 80 rounds of 9mm and 144 rounds of .223 give us our current totals. After the Run N Gun, I'm going to switch gears and work on hardware updates for my stuff, in preparation for ramping back up in the spring. ...or maybe staying on that new-gear train. I don't know, only time will tell.

Check the blog for weekly updates on my gun stuff, and sometimes non-gun stuff.

Current Totals:
M&P: 2811
AR: 982
LCRx: 58

Latest posts