Sunshine_Shooter's Shooting Log

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Throw dryfire in there as a goal. Make your dryfire goal 10 to 50 times as many trigger pulls as your live-fire goal.

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Shot the Feb. match at H&H last night. Added 82 to the M&P's round count, bringing the running total to 1427.

I'll update this log with my results later.

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Update: I got 3rd of 5 in my division, 25th of 29 overall.

I started out doing well on stage 1, but let it get to me on stage 2, maintained through stage 3, and totally lost it in stage 4.

I placed better than I did back in October, but actually shot worse.

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
AR +15, zeroed for a hog hunt. Didn't see anything when I went, just a bunch of tracks and rooted up ground. Now I know my AR w/ 55 gr. 5.56, though.

Current totals:
M&P: 1487
AR: 365
RPR: 16
O/U: 100

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Impromptu rushed range session on Saturday. Shot (25) through the M&P and (50) .45 Long Colts though the 460 mag.

Current totals:
M&P: 1512
O/U: 100
*460 mag: 113*

Anyone know any service intervals for S&W revolvers?

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Went to Silver Leaf this weekend and shot some skeet & sporting clays. I learned that I REALLY need to get a Limbsaver pad. Not only did my shoulder inform me of the error of my ways, but when I placed the pad on the butt of my gun my shooting improved! My stock is too short. Needless to say, it will be a purchase I make soon. My shotgun is currently being loaned to a friend for a competition/fundraiser, so it will get a few more rounds put on it on Friday.

Current totals:
M&P: 1512
O/U: 198
460 mag: 113

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Loaned my O/U to a friend for a competition over the weekend, added 35 rounds to the gun. I've surpassed the rounds count for my shotgun for 2017, so everything from here on out is extra.

I really need to work my pistol more. My lack of skill with it is really starting to bother me.

Meant to shoot the RPR some more (and check my QD scope mount's zero retention) this weekend, but 15-20 MPH winds don't lend themselves to zero work. I'll go shoot the wind once I'm comfortable w/ my zero, but I'm barely a dozen rounds into the gun. Soon I'll run out of excuses...

Plan on actually doing some shooting next weekend on my own, plus zeroing a friend's rifle sometime during the week.

Current Totals:
M&P: 1512 (47%)
AR: 365 (100%)
RPR: 16 (0%)
O/U: 233 (144%*)
460 mag: 113 (N/A)

*I re-calculated how many rounds I had put through the O/U and decided that the original 2017 start number was closer to 125, so I have started using that number. I'm keeping my goal at 200, though. Considering the amount of 12 gauge ammo I've got on hand at the moment, this is a moot point.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Sunshine Shooter said:
Loaned my O/U to a friend for a competition over the weekend, added 35 rounds to the gun. I've surpassed the rounds count for my shotgun for 2017, so everything from here on out is extra.

I really need to work my pistol more. My lack of skill with it is really starting to bother me.

Meant to shoot the RPR some more (and check my QD scope mount's zero retention) this weekend, but 15-20 MPH winds don't lend themselves to zero work. I'll go shoot the wind once I'm comfortable w/ my zero, but I'm barely a dozen rounds into the gun. Soon I'll run out of excuses...

Plan on actually doing some shooting next weekend on my own, plus zeroing a friend's rifle sometime during the week.

Current Totals:

RPR: 16 (0%)

*I re-calculated how many rounds I had put through the O/U and decided that the original 2017 start number was closer to 125, so I have started using that number. I'm keeping my goal at 200, though. Considering the amount of 12 gauge ammo I've got on hand at the moment, this is a moot point.
Our BoomerShooter tech moderator shot a 3 gun match with a SxS a few years ago. It was awesome. He sucked

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
I had the day off work today, so I want to Wilshire. My friend asked me to zero his rifle, a Mauser in 6.5x55, and shot a 3-round group at 100 yards which looks to be 2/3 MoA. That is my best group on any rifle to date, and will probably remain so for the foreseeable future. I've tried to include it below, but I'm not sure how to go from photo bucket to this forum. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

After I got that packed away, I pulled out my RPR. I finished the last 4 rounds off from the box of Hornady, then switched to American Eagle (which I'm testing for accuracy in my gun). I finished that box off as well, bringing the RPR's round count up by 24 to a total of 40, which is halfway to my 2017 goal of 60. Out of the (3) 5-shot groups of AE I got out of the RPR, they seem to average about 1.25 - 1.5 MoA. This was the first range trip where I've used my homemade rear bag, and it really helped. I was still wobbling about a full minute of angle, so I think that rifle could still be more accurate. That being said, I think I could use it in the field (an actual field, shooting prairie dogs & whatnot) fine, as soon as I start learning to read and hold for wind & distance.

Current Totals:
RPR: 40 (50%)

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
Our BoomerShooter tech moderator shot a 3 gun match with a SxS a few years ago. It was awesome. He sucked

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
LOL! I might be tempted to try a match using my O/U. Was he using his SASS rig, or did he just wake up with a case of the ****arounds?

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Shot another 109 rounds of 9mm through the M&P yesterday afternoon. A friend and I went to USSA in Tulsa. It's a really nice place. He recently parted together a .300BLK and wanted to shoot it. I've never shot a .300BLK before, so I took the opportunity to do so. I could get used to the caliber, if I ever got over my 'healthy respect' for .30-cal-in-.223 kabooms. He brought his .223 along as well and we shot it too. It was grouping about 1 inch at 50 yards off a rear bag & bipod. Completely suitable for field work against hogs, yotes, etc. Now, onto pistol...

*I need to figure out how to hold the pistol steadier. Right now it moves off target and also slips in my hand, requiring more time to reacquire my target and periodically adjust my grip as it breaks down during the string.
*Front sight focus. I've been focusing on target focus while dry-firing for a little while, and my groups absolutely sucked. My range partner and I were doing some draw & fire 1s on verbal cue, and my groups doing that were better than the slow fire warmup. I think I was focusing on the front sight during the draw & fires, which lead to my tighter groups.
*My reloads might be my best pistol skill. Not that they are good, but they just don't suck like a $400 vacuum cleaner.The year of the pistol continues...

Current Totals:
M&P: 1621 (42%)

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Shot another 160 at Big Boy's Guns & Ammo today. Just worked on accuracy, mostly. Probably 20 rounds spent on reloads. About 40 or so on seeing what my drops at ranges from 5 to 25 yards. What I found is that I can't shoot a small enough group at that distance to tell (and they were abut the size of my hand). My one big epiphany is that using my left hand & eye I shot better than right h & e. Some combination of left eye dominance and right eye needing a new prescription is surely to blame.

Current totals:
M&P: 1781 (67%)

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Went to Oil Capital Rod & Gun Club this weekend to shoot their "Practical Rifle Match". I invited a couple of friends to come out with me and we had a blast! Shot 77 rounds through my AR and 24 through my pistol. My AR could use a little work, but I did better than I expected with my pistol. Maybe I just need to practice outside more, or on a timer. I think the timer kept me from over-thinking my pistolry, allowing me to get out of my own way. Whatever, we had fun and we're planning to go back again.

Current totals:
M&P: 1805 (70%)
AR: 442 (100%)

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Shot a little bit of 6.5 Creedmoor, 12 rounds to be exact. I had a gender reveal and we used Tannerite. Not much learned gun-wise, except that my QD mount does *not* return to zero when re-mounted. I really didn't figure it would, but now I know for sure. Glad I practiced before shooting, I didn't want to walk in shots in front of a couple dozen family & friends :)

link to video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWTq-cTnk8B/

Current totals:
M&P: 1805 (70%)
AR: 442 (100%)
RPR: 52 (82%)

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Went to USSA with a friend this weekend (the Oil Capital rifle match got called for rain) and shot 207 rounds of 9mm & 35 rounds of .223. We got rained on the entire time, so maybe calling the match was a good idea ( :good: ). My friend and I just kind of made up rifle drills for a little bit (hence the low rifle count) and ended up doing a lot of pistol stuff out to 50 yards. USSA also has a steel challenge course permanently set up and we ran through the 6 stages twice.

I ended up going over my 2,000 round goal for my M&P, but I don't feel like I'm substantially better with it now than on Jan 1. Maybe I am better and don't feel like it, or maybe I am not any better and I should trust my feelings. Idk. Anyway, I had a, like, 1.3s draw & shoot 1, which I think was decent. It was from an OWB holster so it's not totally applicable to my everyday life.

Current totals:
M&P: 2012 (102%)
AR: 477 (100%)

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Shot some drills at a friend's house last weekend and shot the veteran's charity match today for an estimated total of 175 rounds of pistol and 60 rounds of rifle. I actually won the production division at the charity match. I think that was luck more than anything.

Current totals:
M&P: 2190 (129%)
AR: 537 (100%)

Latest posts