Steel Targets and Cardboard Targets

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Does anyone make their own steel targets? I'd like to shoot steel at OKCGC Action Pistol range, but their targets seem to be off-limits/locked-up. I have the tools and capability to make my own, but I'm not EXACTLY sure what type of steel plate I should buy. Also, does anyone in town sell IDPA/IPSC/USPSA cardboard targets and target tape, or are those necessarily ordered online?

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
I've made my own steel targets out of just mild steel but they are .22lr only. If you want centerfire targets go with AR500 steel that is waterjet cut. I have got all my steel from Big Dog Steel and Bobcat Steel. Both out of state, but prices are good even with shipping. Rangemaster makes them also and they are a sponsor here

dennishoddy

Ammoman.com has free targets of about any style including the IPSC. I ran a bunch off at work, and ordered pasters to cover the holes.
Put up a matress box and taped them to it at my private range.

At the Ponca Range, we keep all of the steel out for people to enjoy. Its AR500, water jet cut like has been stated.

I know its a trip, but if you want to come up, you can go as my guest and we will shoot all of the steel, including forward, backwards falling, plus the polish plate rack, and texas star as long as you want to burn ammo. We can even set up some cardboard targets, to make a mix of targets. Just like a real match. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding all of the stationary target frames, but there are plenty more. ;)

This goes for anybody.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
In another thread I posted some IDPA patterns. I printed them out and cut them out of some cardboard boxes. Great for practice but you have to draw the A zones on them first. I don't even mess with the B and C zones :)

9c4me

Active Fanatic
Ordered some cardboard a while back, ShootersConnection had the best deal on 100 IPSC targets and AlcoTarget has the best pasters(Kraft TM-1 I think)

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I was thinking of Mangalloy, or similar. I'll check out the AR500 stuff. I'm sure that to order it downtown I'd need a more technical name.

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
Targetbarn's shipping is high on 100 targets. Shooter's connection is cheaper and I think Midway offers them in groups of 25 if you don't want 100. + 1 on Big Dog Steel.

ToolBox

Well-Known Fanatic
Does anyone make their own steel targets? I'd like to shoot steel at OKCGC Action Pistol range, but their targets seem to be off-limits/locked-up. I have the tools and capability to make my own, but I'm not EXACTLY sure what type of steel plate I should buy. Also, does anyone in town sell IDPA/IPSC/USPSA cardboard targets and target tape, or are those necessarily ordered online?

Doc,
Visit our web site, We make targets with mild and AR-500 to USPSA,SCSA and are working on some to CLEET spec's
Let me know how i can help.

dennishoddy

I was thinking of Mangalloy, or similar. I'll check out the AR500 stuff. I'm sure that to order it downtown I'd need a more technical name.
Back in the day we lined the Wheelabrator steel shot blaster with a steel alloy called Hadfield manganese, or something like that. It "work hardened". I've always wondered if it would work as good as AR500

ToolBox

Well-Known Fanatic
Targetbarn's shipping is high on 100 targets. Shooter's connection is cheaper and I think Midway offers them in groups of 25 if you don't want 100. + 1 on Big Dog Steel.

Another note:
All our torso and poppers can have the score zone for USPSA,IDPA IPSC scribed on the target.
We also have a 3/4 torso. Our hostage model without the flapper. This torso is just like the full torso without the "D" zone. many call it an A/C zone target.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
3/8" AR500 is the way to go if you want them to last. I don't know if anywhere in town that has Ipsc cardboard for sale. Maybe we should do a group buy on targets so we can use an LTL shipper on a pallet of stuff???

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Back in the day we lined the Wheelabrator steel shot blaster with a steel alloy called Hadfield manganese, or something like that. It "work hardened". I've always wondered if it would work as good as AR500

That was Mangalloy. I used to build portable shotblasters, and designed the control system for an intermediate five horsepower system on one of them. The entire blast chamber was lined with Mangalloy, and the shot cage was made entirely from it. Everyone hated working with it, but held it in awe for it's amazing toughness and hardness. I had to turn down a sleeve for one of the shot cages on a newer 13HP unit with a pancake motor, and that bastard tore up five carbide TiAlN-coated tool bits taking off .030" per pass and on down to .007" per pass. Destroyed them. I only cut about a 4" diameter for about two inches, ended up maybe taking it down .003" per pass with our last tool bit, and with heavy brown cutting oil, and it still wanted to throw blue chips. What a nightmare. I had to use a huge (60" between centers and 18" swing)and long-obsolete lathe built in 1942, and all the markings on the change-gear legend plate were worn off, and I had to guess how to use it. There could not possibly be a better example as to why to hold on to the goddamn manual than that lathe.

dennishoddy

That was Mangalloy. I used to build portable shotblasters, and designed the control system for an intermediate five horsepower system on one of them. The entire blast chamber was lined with Mangalloy, and the shot cage was made entirely from it. Everyone hated working with it, but held it in awe for it's amazing toughness and hardness.

I figured the Mangalloy was what you were talking about. Different distributers have different names for it.
I do control systems for a living, plus where I used to work it was multi-craft, so when the shot ate a hole through the side of the wheelabrator, I patched it by welding some 1018, 1/2" material. The steel shot ate through it in a matter of days. Thats when I learned about the Mangalloy. Tough stuff, and not cheap.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
You can buy a big roll of USPSA practice targets from Amazon. Or just take the shot-up ones from a club match.

Latest posts