Started CCing today

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
And it was awful. I have an EMP, and a Looper IWB Best Tuckin' Holster for an Officer's size 1911, which the EMP fits very well. I bought oversize pants and a belt. Placing SOB was the only option for actually concealing, but made it uncomfortable to drive. So I placed it strong side, but it came close to showing gunmetal way too often, and there was a large print of a GUN on my hip.

I only tried SOB and strong side, and suppose I'll spend the rest of the day experimenting with different clothing, but sitting raises issues with the gun/holster comber tipping an undesirable direction, or pushing up my shirt, or printing like a crazy tumor. May as well be carrying a full-size 1911 as far as today went. 8)

I'm not sure where to go with this or how I'm going to be able to carry anything other than a pocket gun. Which is disturbing, because pocket guns seem mostly to miss in terms of durability according to "the Internets" and the rental counter at H&H. I'm not at all interested in dressing like a ****ing hobo to cover up a gun, even though there are occasions when I would do such a thing. Just not every single day.

It would be awesome if a retailer offered a CCW fitting service, where you could try different guns and holsters.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Welcome to the world of concealed carry. It is a long and winding road but it is liberating when you take you and your family's safety into your own hands.

You have a GREAT gun to conceal so you may just need to experiment with holsters. I don't have any experience with the "Best Tuckin" holster but it is a lot like the Crossbreed Supertuck which is highly recommended by some for its adjustability. Try different cants and ride height.

SOB won't work. That gun with the proper height and cant should carry at 3-3.30 pretty well.

Keep trying and keep us posted.

TroyF

TheBearcat
With your build, a lot of options are gonna be uncomfortable. Try appendix carry.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't have experience with the holster. A couple of comments though.
First most I would say are very self conscious when they start to carry concealed.
Second try about the 4-5 o'clock position. If the holster has a fwd cant this should work fine. Anything behind the hip I would think should suffice. Just relax and wear the holster around the house until you get comfortable with it then try going out with it.
Lastly the pistol is comforting not necessarily comfortable though different holsters are more comfortable than others.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Just re-read the OP. The pistol should not be tipping. Either get a thick stiff belt that is the size of the belt loops or get a different holster. Two holsters I like a lot are the CompTac MTac and the KyTac Braveheart.
MTTac is the most comfortable holster I have worn though it does not provide a secure firing grip.
The Braveheart is very comfortable and is very fast.
The MTac conceals better.
The Braveheart conceals well and I think is way more durable
Neither moves around.
You can use the MTac as a shirt tucker.
The Braveheart carries the grip a bit higher which I like.
There is also the belly band and ankle holster. For hvy setting I like the ankle holster. I just think it is slow if other than seated.
Now the belly band is my friend and I prefer to carry cross draw when I do.

Bottom line is experiment - try as many holsters as possible, and relax because you know your carrying doesn't mean anyone else does. Though the holster and or pistol shouldn't move.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I tried appendix carry, and I'm just too slim for it. 4 o'clock worked really well and was very comfortable in all positions with a different holster*, but I had to wear a button-up over-shirt to cover it.

*(unsure of brand, but it's a very good quality black leather IWB with a single belt clip and sized for a Kahr something-or-other; I borrowed it from a guy I haven't seen since at a Heartland match, named Ward or Warren, who DQed on the third stage and then left the match)

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Did you like it better than the Looper?

I tried appendix carry, and I'm just too slim for it. 4 o'clock worked really well and was very comfortable in all positions with a different holster*, but I had to wear a button-up over-shirt to cover it.

*(unsure of brand, but it's a very good quality black leather IWB with a single belt clip and sized for a Kahr something-or-other; I borrowed it from a guy I haven't seen since at a Heartland match, named Ward or Warren, who DQed on the third stage and then left the match)

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
This is the single clip holster:
053.jpg

This is the Looper holster, for good measure:
054.jpg

I also ended up wearing an undershirt to prevent the gun from contacting my skin.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I can't believe that little single clip worked and the Looper didn't. Just goes to show you that EVERY person is different. I wouldn't have bet $5 that black holster would have worked.

Are there some more holes in the Looper? You might need to raise the belt loops up (creating a lower ride)

Prdator

Keepers Concealment
A few thoughts.
Make sure you have a GUN belt and keep it tight, ( most guys I see that are "skinny" keep the belt to lose)

Its sucks but just plan on having a pile of used holsters!! But really look at the ones that work and see what you like about them, ride hight, cant, spacing on belt loops etc.

Try small movements around the belt and try and find the spot that it conceals the best.

Don't worry to much about the printing, everyone does it and NO one looks or cares.

And on the Appendix carry, Im all for that, BUT don't do it until you have had Several Training classes!!!!!! Just know that holstering the gun AIWB may be the most dangerous thing you ever do..... You'll only screw that up once.