Start Signal

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's the scenario:

From the proper start position the RO begins his command sequence.

"Make Ready"
"Are you Ready?" - for arguments sake we will assume the shooter has not indicated he is not ready, and his hands are in compliance with the WSD.
"Standy" - then Immediately following this command:
"Start Signal" - i.e. the timer beeps

Any issues here or is shooter good to go?

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
I'll wait for someone else to answer this one for a while. Cyrwus asked me to patch his fishing vest for an IDPA match he has next weekend. :unsure:

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I can't wait for IDPA to require waders. This one just sounds like poor etiquette on the part of the RO. Doesn't the shooter need to acknowledge readiness? I haven't seen this kind of thing happen yet.

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
The shooter does not have to say he's ready. If the shooters not ready he needs to say no after are you ready. If you say nothing ro assumes you are ready

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
And...the start signal is given 1-4 seconds after "standby" It seems to be a trend for shooters to indicate nothing after are you ready lately on some of the one's I RO.
  • 8.3.2 “Are You Ready?” â€" The lack of any negative response from the com- petitor indicates that he fully understands the requirements of the course of fire and is ready to proceed. If the competitor is not ready at the “Are You Ready?” command, he must state “Not Ready”. It is sug- gested that when the competitor is ready he should assume the required start position to indicate his readiness to the Range Officer.
  • 8.3.3 “Standby” â€" This command should be followed by the start signal with- in 1 to 4 seconds.
  • 8.3.4 “Start Signal” â€" The signal for the competitor to begin their attempt at the course of fire. If a competitor fails to react to a start signal, for any reason, the Range Officer will confirm that the competitor is ready to attempt the course of fire, and will resume the range commands from “Are You Ready?”.

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
If not allowed the min of 1sec, I know it's only 1sec but it can mess with your mental prep a bit.

Do you as the shooter ask the RO to:
  • begin again at "Are you ready"
  • and allow a min 1sec delay?

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
What if the RO says:

"Are you ready?"

Shooter says "ready"

then RO hits the start signal without saying "stand by".

Can the Shooter request the RO give the proper commands or must the Shooter start upon the start signal no matter what?

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
This subject is one that bugs me from time to time... If the shooter gives no negative responce to the "Shooter Ready" command, then the shooter is ready... then "standby", and finally the start signal...

Now, the part that bugs me from time to time. Occasionally I see an RO that seems to be trying to trick the shooter or go out of his way to make things difficult.

As an example, there is a guy that will give the "standby" then wait for an unreasonably long time to give the start signal. I know that as a shooter this kind of thing really pisses me off. As an RO I try to do things the way that I'd that I want them done for me. I think that stcking with a delay that's not too short or too long is very important and anything other than this is unfair to the shooter in my opinion..

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
Rusty should know the name, they always squad up together.

LOL! I know the guys name and I'm not going to post it because it does't really matter... The behavior is an example of something that bothers me with regard to RO conduct that is unfair to the shooter.

Again, when I'm RO'ing, I try to always consider how I like things to run when I'm shooting...

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
All the better reason to call him out, make some comments about his mother, and threaten him so he never does it again.

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
I bet if you just stopped while waiting for the buzzer, walked over and kicked him square in the nuts he would stop doing that to you

Latest posts