Stag Arms AR15

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought a red dot years ago..think it's an Aim point. Tried it & removed it..I do target shooting, trying to put shots in a 1"square.
The red dot I have isn't precise enough, for me.. the dot covers too much of the target. Almost bought some MagPul BUS, but discovered they were made a plastic, so bought some real steel iron sights..think they were Yankee Hill. Ended up putting scopes & 1 piece mounts on all 4 of my Ar's ,.
Have scopes in various powers from Bushnell, Vortex, Burris, & even a Simmons..they all work well for my use.
I don't like polymer sights either, I want a little more heft to my tools!

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Primary Arms is a good choice for a budget friendly optic. Marshall stands behind their products extremely well. Years ago, there was no support for these cheaper Chinese optics. If it failed, you were essentially screwed. No parts availability, they simply got trashed. It's quite a bit different now.

Red October

New Fanatic
Well I went today to grab my Stag Arms AR15 that I had them holding for me until I could get there to pick it up along with a Glock G19 gen5 (my first Glock, ever)
Now my dilemma is I need sights or an optic or both for it.
Anyone have any recommendations on what works well for short range accuracy on a human size target at lets say 200yds or less. I want simple easy to use and rugged!

I'm not even sure what type of sight I want a scope, holographic or red dot but I need recommendations for some of each style with pluses and minuses!
Let's try to keep it in the $5-600 range and less is better if the quality is there. I believe in you get what you pay for but I've never been one to spend more on an optic than the firearm cost.

Also with my bad eyes it's just not money well spent when the glass is 10x clearer than my eyes can focus on anyways.

I don't do battle drills or shoot for distance or super accuracy so please keep that in mind.View attachment 7730
Big Dot

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I don't like polymer sights either, I want a little more heft to my tools!
Me either! I have a set of the Magpul MBUS sights I'll mail to the first person who PM's me their mailing address.

I have a set of Wilson Combat machined aluminum backup sights on my rifle that I believe are the nicest set I could find. Generally speaking, if Wilson puts their name on something, it's top quality.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
^^^^^ now theres the deal of the day.

I've used the daniel defense iron sights on last 2 I did. No they dont collapse, but aren't in the way for me, and they co-witness perfectly with my aimpoint pro. Should the mrds fail, I can still see the iron (aluminum) sights fine. Not inexpensive, but metal sights are worth the extra $$$ on a battle rifle

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
^^^^^ now theres the deal of the day.

I've used the daniel defense iron sights on last 2 I did. No they dont collapse, but aren't in the way for me, and they co-witness perfectly with my aimpoint pro. Should the mrds fail, I can still see the iron (aluminum) sights fine. Not inexpensive, but metal sights are worth the extra $$$ on a battle rifle
The Daniel Defense sights are very well made. They are another company that you can count on for good quality if their name is on something.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Ended up going with an Eotech, I picked a model that uses 2AA batteries and has a QD mount. I'm a little upset that when I got it home the battery cover has a chipped corner as shown in second pic. It does not affect anything except looks but it was over my $500 price point and want it replaced. We'll see what Eotech says.
I also seriously considered the Aimpoint PRO but liked the eye relief on the Eotech better.

D5652B94-13B8-4B40-90DC-21717A6128E2.jpeg85691B9A-9FB9-4414-86C8-1AA610F18781.jpeg

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
EoTech will take care of you.

I really like AimPoint, but the reticle is what always draws me to the EoTech. It's so fast on target, "dot in donut" is awesome
I really like my Aimpoint too. But, that Eotech reticle is better for my older eyes.
That right there is exactly why I decided on the Eotech, eyes aren't getting any younger!

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Congratulations on a fine optic choice. My buddy loves his, one on an AR, one on an AK, not sure which models but after years never a hickup. Agree the aimpoint "naked" dot is lacking compared to "dot in donut" ala eotech, or any of the ACOG versions. I have regrets selling my AR setup with ACOG during the odumbo years. I actually didn't want to sell but a guy just kept hammering me with offers, think X3 over my costs for both carbine and acog. I guess when they say everything is for sale, there is truth there. Never did replace the ACOG, and have no idea where those funds were spent. )-: