some companies go awry

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Send it in
I have had 3 instances with firearm manufactures of 1911's. Wilson overnighted the 2 parts got them the next day in hand no charge, then a week later called me to check if all was ok, the other was SA where I actually got 2 defective pistols, the entire encounter was not good with them I took them to my gunsmith instead both sold and no more after a bad experience there. The other was SV perfect encounter and service even told me I could come pick up parts that day as I was not far from them excellent service there also.

Sk8r

Active Fanatic
Boatdoc: My experience with SA customer service has been excellent. Had a new SA with a fire control (hammer-to-sear interface) that was less than ideal, but I am no 1911 smith, so I called SA to explain the problem and they promptly agreed to look at it and sent the prepaid FEDEX label. It came back to me within one week (!) tuned to excellent performance! They will take care of you, and it makes legal safety sense for them to prefer to do that rather than send customers parts as explained by Fed_G with the "fuel pump" example above.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Boatdoc: My experience with SA customer service has been excellent. Had a new SA with a fire control (hammer-to-sear interface) that was less than ideal, but I am no 1911 smith, so I called SA to explain the problem and they promptly agreed to look at it and sent the prepaid FEDEX label. It came back to me within one week (!) tuned to excellent performance! They will take care of you, and it makes legal safety sense for them to prefer to do that rather than send customers parts as explained by Fed_G with the "fuel pump" example above.

it is the attitude I resent. To bs me that a 1911 has proprietary parts that only they can put in and are unique to this gun is a total crock. With other SA models it is true. BUT to say it is a 1911 and ALL the parts are proprietary and that NO AFTER MARKET parts will work is not believable to me
ordinarily, I would say it makes sense to bring the gun in. IF this gun has issues other than a firing pin, fp spring or main spring, then they were right to bring it back in( I sent it out today--prepaid and they insured it). otherwise, they could have just sent me the parts as they do not require a lot of skill to install. we will see. I will update this thread on the progress.

in the mean time, thanks to Steve Owens again..I did adjust MY WC 40th anniversary 9mm extractor and the problem is gone. all casings ejected from 1-4 o clock ..:)

Tail Gunner

Active Fanatic
Doc,
I think they want it back for several reasons. One is so they can fix the other boo-boos you haven't found yet without embarrassment.
My RIA 1911 broke a firing pin stop in half 5-days before a match. Called, explained and they sent one in the mail overnight. I was impressed and now own several of their pistols.
Companies rise or fall on their Customer Service.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Doc,
I think they want it back for several reasons. One is so they can fix the other boo-boos you haven't found yet without embarrassment.
My RIA 1911 broke a firing pin stop in half 5-days before a match. Called, explained and they sent one in the mail overnight. I was impressed and now own several of their pistols.
Companies rise or fall on their Customer Service.

I will update you good folks when they send it back. interested in what they admit to fixing

normally a CS dept offering a free shipment and repair would be welcome. BUT the shipping industry is getting careless and I have my doubts that they would honor the insurance claim if a gun is stolen while under their care. otherwise I would gladly let the gunsmiths fix the mess they made.SA swears I am fully covered for a replacement if it disappears

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree w/ comments above, the way I have seen it is simply to send back the gun. Just so you don't worry, spend a few bucks and get it insured. I can understand their point here, plus how do they know you are competent to repair the gun (didn't mean to insult you)? This takes a lot of potential issues off the table and helps get the gun fixed right, the 1st time. The big issue for me is to have the gun out of my possession. When one of the "flock" leave home, there's a shift in the force and I can feel it...

One of my friends recently bought a brand new Dan Wesson Bruin. A very nice gun, a real beauty but it kept jamming. It was sent back by the dealer and it took almost 6 wks to get the gun back. And guess what, it still jams, so he sent it back again. This time they kept the gun for 9 weeks, and told him there was nothing wrong w/ the gun, but that his 2 mags were defective (and apparently also the 2 he bought from Wilson Combat). I also bought the Bruin at about the same time, and didn't know about his problems w/ the gun. My Bruin works fine, not a single issue. IMHO they make good - great guns, but their customer service is below par. Bottom line- the one Bruin I own will be my 1st and last DW gun.

On the other side, I recently sent my .44 mag Desert Eagle back to MRI (Magnum Research). I bought the gun (very) used, paid peanuts for the gun, and figured one of these days I would send the gun in for reconditioning. Last month I took the gun to a UPS store and withing 10 days the gun was back in my possession and working great BTW. $160 including S&H. Now this is an example of great customer service.

mikemac

Active Fanatic
Good luck boatdoc. Hopefully you have enough hair, after pulling some out on this one. Mailing guns back just sucks.

Sk8r

Active Fanatic
it is the attitude I resent. To bs me that a 1911 has proprietary parts that only they can put in and are unique to this gun is a total crock. With other SA models it is true. BUT to say it is a 1911 and ALL the parts are proprietary and that NO AFTER MARKET parts will work is not believable to me
ordinarily, I would say it makes sense to bring the gun in. IF this gun has issues other than a firing pin, fp spring or main spring, then they were right to bring it back in( I sent it out today--prepaid and they insured it). otherwise, they could have just sent me the parts as they do not require a lot of skill to install. we will see. I will update this thread on the progress.

in the mean time, thanks to Steve Owens again..I did adjust MY WC 40th anniversary 9mm extractor and the problem is gone. all casings ejected from 1-4 o clock ..:)

Certainly agree about the iffyness of shipping anything valuable, and especially a gun; shipping makes me feel the same way too, every time, even with insurance!

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree w/ comments above, the way I have seen it is simply to send back the gun. Just so you don't worry, spend a few bucks and get it insured. I can understand their point here, plus how do they know you are competent to repair the gun (didn't mean to insult you)? This takes a lot of potential issues off the table and helps get the gun fixed right, the 1st time. The big issue for me is to have the gun out of my possession. When one of the "flock" leave home, there's a shift in the force and I can feel it...

One of my friends recently bought a brand new Dan Wesson Bruin. A very nice gun, a real beauty but it kept jamming. It was sent back by the dealer and it took almost 6 wks to get the gun back. And guess what, it still jams, so he sent it back again. This time they kept the gun for 9 weeks, and told him there was nothing wrong w/ the gun, but that his 2 mags were defective (and apparently also the 2 he bought from Wilson Combat). I also bought the Bruin at about the same time, and didn't know about his problems w/ the gun. My Bruin works fine, not a single issue. IMHO they make good - great guns, but their customer service is below par. Bottom line- the one Bruin I own will be my 1st and last DW gun.

On the other side, I recently sent my .44 mag Desert Eagle back to MRI (Magnum Research). I bought the gun (very) used, paid peanuts for the gun, and figured one of these days I would send the gun in for reconditioning. Last month I took the gun to a UPS store and withing 10 days the gun was back in my possession and working great BTW. $160 including S&H. Now this is an example of great customer service.

I have sent guns back before and had no issues. My issue these d ays is guns not getting where they should go and the willingness of the insurer/shipper to replace my valued Item(+ atf reporting and local police reporting...). Steve Owens and Zoid have reported issues with missing shipments recently and I am sur e there are hundreds a day. I am hoping all is well delivery wise and cs wise too. I would NOT hesitate to ship a production gun of reasonable cost. It is a rare or,special edition or expensive ( to me) semi custom gun that I worry about.

fwiw I sent a 9mm back to a company THREE times plus I paid a local gunsmith to fix the brass to the forehead syndrome I was suffering from.... eventually replaced the extractor myself with a WC brand extractor. Casing stills eject towards me when ejected, but over my head. I am going to tweak that extractor next. If I cannot get the job done, Steve Owens promised he would fix it right.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Certainly agree about the iffyness of shipping anything valuable, and especially a gun; shipping makes me feel the same way too, every time, even with insurance!
Years ago, my wifes diamond ring came to us FEDEX after sizing. That was a long time ago. Today thing are much more risky.Even with digital tracking

JT1911

Fanatic
Sorry if I'm ignorant to abbreviations used... what is SACS? it it Springfield Armory Custom Shop? It's interesting that I've seen on various forums, that there have been issues with SA 1911's. My experience, with both stock and CS guns has been outstanding! I'm sorry to hear that others have had issues. I have 8 Springfield Armory 1911's and 2 SA Custom shop 1911's and haven't had any issues with fit, finish, accuracy, or performance with any of them! Maybe I'm just hugely lucky! I've seen posts with extreme examples of fit issues; slide-to-frame, extractor-to-slide, etc. I then went over each of my SA 1911's and all are either perfect, or at least, within expectation based on the guns' cost (for a couple). Most are equal to my 1911's from Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk Custom, Dan Wesson, S&W, STI, Colt, Etc. In some cases it was clear based on the posts and responses that people were buying 1911's without even inspecting them, for fit/finish etc., at the place prior to purchase! Shame on them! I know that I'malways excited about a new 1911 purchase, new or used, but you have to do a full inspection externally and internally! If the shop/person wont let you, definitely don't purchase the gun!!

Anyway, obviously, I'm a big fan of SA (in general), but I am truly saddened and surprised at other peoples' problems with regards to their personal 1911's from SA! All I would say is let them make it right! I've had to send back numerous weapons due to recalls or upgrades and the COMPANY always wants to do the work themselves, this way they can keep it under warranty, and be sure that it is done by their professionals, ESPECIALLY if it is from their Custom Shop, Performance Center, etc! Also, it helps themmake sure that their quality control, and their employees are up to snuff!! This, in my experience, has been true with Sig Sauer, Walther, H&K, SA and others! All in all....Cheers!

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry if I'm ignorant to abbreviations used... what is SACS? it it Springfield Armory Custom Shop? It's interesting that I've seen on various forums, that there have been issues with SA 1911's. My experience, with both stock and CS guns has been outstanding! I'm sorry to hear that others have had issues. I have 8 Springfield Armory 1911's and 2 SA Custom shop 1911's and haven't had any issues with fit, finish, accuracy, or performance with any of them! Maybe I'm just hugely lucky! I've seen posts with extreme examples of fit issues; slide-to-frame, extractor-to-slide, etc. I then went over each of my SA 1911's and all are either perfect, or at least, within expectation based on the guns' cost (for a couple). Most are equal to my 1911's from Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk Custom, Dan Wesson, S&W, STI, Colt, Etc. In some cases it was clear based on the posts and responses that people were buying 1911's without even inspecting them, for fit/finish etc., at the place prior to purchase! Shame on them! I know that I'malways excited about a new 1911 purchase, new or used, but you have to do a full inspection externally and internally! If the shop/person wont let you, definitely don't purchase the gun!!

Anyway, obviously, I'm a big fan of SA (in general), but I am truly saddened and surprised at other peoples' problems with regards to their personal 1911's from SA! All I would say is let them make it right! I've had to send back numerous weapons due to recalls or upgrades and the COMPANY always wants to do the work themselves, this way they can keep it under warranty, and be sure that it is done by their professionals, ESPECIALLY if it is from their Custom Shop, Performance Center, etc! Also, it helps themmake sure that their quality control, and their employees are up to snuff!! This, in my experience, has been true with Sig Sauer, Walther, H&K, SA and others! All in all....Cheers!
sacs-springfield armory custom shop.. and yes you are blessed or lucky.

I rarely have 1911 issues. Until now they all were 9mm extraction/ejection issues and were handled properly by the makers. Now I am able to adjust an extractor myself( I feel empowered by Steve Owens---my mentor), I am inclined to try the fix myself before calling for help. I have no issue with returning a GUN THat requirea gunsmith skills to fix. my issue is that some companies do NOT insure for replacement value. I cannot just come up with 3-4 more thousand to buy another semi custom 1911. I plan my buys and losing a costly gun is NOT in those plans. guns that cost less than 2 grand, I will a ccept the risks.

also this bs of proprietary parts for a 1911 is total bs as I have stated. IF this were true, no one would be able to touch up their guns or even change grips. HECK they even state d that if I need a new recoil spring in the future(I replace mine once per 2000 round s) they would require the gunto be shipped back aGAIN. they are cutting their own throats. Our community will not tolerate this and will shop elsewhere. HECK, If I had known this, I could have just boiught a new or lightly used NHC,WC,EB or LB and bypassed the SA bs

JT1911

Fanatic
That almost sounds like they didn't even "listen" to you, but only "heard" you! The only proprietary parts on their 1911's would be on their EMP 9mm's. Which DO have like 37 proprietary parts! As 'PhilaPop' said, it sucks having ANY gun out of our possession, let alone an expensive one! Anyway, good luck with it,and I'll send some positive waves your way to ensure that you get your baby back safe! Cheers!

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
That almost sounds like they didn't even "listen" to you, but only "heard" you! The only proprietary parts on their 1911's would be on their EMP 9mm's. Which DO have like 37 proprietary parts! As 'PhilaPop' said, it sucks having ANY gun out of our possession, let alone an expensive one! Anyway, good luck with it,and I'll send some positive waves your way to ensure that you get your baby back safe! Cheers!

thanks @JT1911.appreciate it. if I did not like the way it shoots for me( sans light strikes) I would just get rid of it and buy one I enjoy(nhc, wc, eb,lb) it was a whim buy because the rep told me that the checkering was not of the meat shredder variety they usually use and he was right. I. .life is too short and range time too valued to be putting up with this bs.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I would have no issues at all sending it back to Springfield, as long as they provide a label.
I would be nervous is USPS were used to ship it though.

Latest posts