Single vs ambi

mikespg1911

New Fanatic
1911 fans. I have one with ambi safety. Very dangerous as the right side safety bar can be reset to 'off' with ease. Bump it, rub against something, etc. your thoughts.

Nikrnic

Well-Known Fanatic
I have an ambi on one Les Baer but changed it to a WC slim style. Never a fan.

NITINOL

Fanatic
Had it happen to me on a LDA (light double action{only}) and a standard Series 70 when new to carrying, but with a sound mechanical device, a grip safety, and a holster that completely protects the trigger, no problems. The 'arguments' that ambi's being unnecessary most of the time are filled with valid points. It shouldn't be an issue unless you get a CrimisonTrace grip laser. Then you'll need parts or modifications.
I'd say get the gun you like and not to worry about it if it doesn't hinder or interfere with your manual of arms. If you can select version before you buy, do so. If its a problem with you actually, or you're uncomfortable with them, R/R (remove/replace){always keep original}. Who's paying for it?
Question: did it happen once or are you having it happen all the time? How is it carried? My ambi in a IWB at about 4 o'clock put several holes in a few shirts when carrying and assisting a friend moving equipment. Stayed on 'safe'.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
1911 fans. I have one with ambi safety. Very dangerous as the right side safety bar can be reset to 'off' with ease. Bump it, rub against something, etc. your thoughts.
Seems like you already know what you want . I'll tell you a cheap fix . Remove safety , grind off lever , polish remaining piece and cold blue , reassemble . Most of the time finish is worn under lever , this method covers it back up . I've done it .

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
I am a lefty also. For defensive use, I prefer the now common "plastic fantastic" pistols, which do not have grip or thumb safeties. I do have several 1911s. Way more than I ever thought I'd have. All but one has an ambi safety. I love them for competition and plinking. For those purposes, I can easily live with a single sided safety. It's all about practice though. I used to use my Remington Rand for PPC, back when my eyesight was more than good enough to utilize those most useless sights on the original GI guns. I engaged the thumb safety before putting the pistol in the holster on my left side. I practiced pushing the safety off with my right hand thumb as I brought the gun up to shoot. I just canted the gun ever so slightly to the right as I started to wrap my support hand around the grip frame. As the hands approached each other, the RH thumb reached over the slide and popped the safety down. If it took more than a few tenths of a second, I'd be surprised. I shot high master for years using that technique. No problems doing that ever.
Obviously, that is not the way to go for self defense. Even with a lot of practice. Shooting paper targets...not the same as defending one's life. Again, obviously.
All that said, I have never had an ambi safety disengage prematurely. I don't know anyone else who has either. Most of my shooting buddies are RH. And most of their 1911s have ambi safeties. One other thing, I believe all 1911s, used for self defense, should have ambi safeties just in case the RH shooter should have need to operate the pistol with their support hand. To me, having an ambi safety is never a bad thing...

mikespg1911

New Fanatic
Seems like you already know what you want . I'll tell you a cheap fix . Remove safety , grind off lever , polish remaining piece and cold blue , reassemble . Most of the time finish is worn under lever , this method covers it back up . I've done it .
This sounds like very solid advice. Thank you.

HRColey

Fanatic
I've been using 1911s since I enlisted in the army in 1965. Since becoming a police officer in 1976 I've carried a Colt Lightweight Commander concealed inside my waistband, usually without a holster. I've never had the right side ambidextrous safety lever bump itself off. I have had my left side lever bump the safety off when I carried it in a leather duty holster made by one of the major holster makers in this country. A 1911 or Browning Hi Power without ambidextrous safeties are worthless comes the day that you break a bone in your right hand. That's why most lefties have ambidextrous safeties. They've worked for me for fifty-odd years, in either hand.

Last edited:

mikespg1911

New Fanatic
I've been using 1911s since I enlisted in the army in 1965. Since becoming a police officer in 1976 I've carried a Colt Lightweight Commander concealed inside my waistband, usually without a holster. I've never had the right side ambidextrous safety lever bump itself off. I have had my left side lever bump the safety off when I carried it in a leather duty holster made by one of the major holster makers in this country. A 1911 or Browning Hi Power without ambidextrous safeties are worthless comes the day that you break a bone in your right hand. That's why most lefties have ambidextrous safeties. They've worked for me for fifty-odd years, in either hand.
Excellent point. I have had a right side click off when I rubbed up against something. However it has happened only once, but it made me think. Thanks.

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
well....a few things from me:

1) I'm a lefty, so necessary for an ambi-safety for me

2) If an ambi-safety is fitted correctly, it should have a solid "snick" when engaging and disengaging and shouldn't disengage from slight bumps or rubbings. I've never had any issue with disengaging accidentally....except 1 that was fit poorly and the holster's sweat shield would disgengage it....BUT...with a 1911 you still have the grip safety and the safety "between your ears".....as some would say....LOL...

3) ambi's are imperative to staying in the fight if your dominant arm/hand are disabled. We are trained to shoot off-hand, 1-handed, to reload with non-dominant hand, to reload 1-handed, etc. Having an ambi-safety gives you an operating advantage should your dominant hand/arm are injured and useless.....

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Fellow southpaw here too, although I am right eye dominant. It's just natural for me to grab anything lefty in a split second. Been shooting firearms lefty since my dad first taught me how....

hendershot

Well-Known Fanatic
Another lefty here that has to have an ambi safety. While a positive snick is a huge plus, I like to get the left side profiled or nubbed down a bit so it is still functional but much less likely to catch. Most smiths don't quite take it down as far as I like, but below is a pic of one that did.

Not kidding, but just this week I though I'd switch things up and carry my old Springer Pro while working out in my skid loader. At one point I noticed the safety had disengaged. I realize this is a somewhat extreme with lots of bouncing, rubbing, and getting on and off the machine in peculiar motions (working by one's self with bucket in every position - not recommended), but it did happen. I decided that was a risk I didn't need in that location, so carried it unloaded the rest of the time on my land that day, and will go back to my "nubbed" ambi, at least while working like that.

I think a right hander could nub or re-profile the right side of an ambi in the same manner. Still have a functional piece and reduce the chance of an already low circumstance.

Here's a pic with the left side nubbed how I prefer it most. Not ideal for everyone, but is for me.

D4724B6D-DDFA-4776-A726-282BE0BB5AC4.jpeg

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
single vs ambi is a personal choice. But if it were me I would make certain any ambi I used were of a more substantial design than the post and tenon style. Yes they are expensive but I don't like the aforementioned style. The better designs with proper fitting make the ambi a solid choice.

mley1

Fanatic
I have used ambi safety's from Kimber, and was not impressed with them. The right side always seemed to come loose, and wasn't in sync with the left side. I hated them.

With that said, my 2020 Dan Wesson Valor has an ambi safety. And, it's a whole nother animal. It's fitted better. Seems a lot more solid. It's in sync with the left side, and has a very nice snap and feel to it. I practiced a bit with it, and really like this one. I did bump it off once while I was working on some outdoor equipment, but that was totally my fault, and I knew it immediately. It was a non issue and got flicked back on safe quickly.

I also have a Springfield with an ambi safety. It too is much better than the Kimber's were. I like it almost as much as the DW ambi. That DW ambi is really good though.

Honestly though, I'd have been just as happy with my DW if it didn't have the ambi on it. So, I guess I could do with or without them. If the gun comes with it, I'm ok with them as long as they work good with no issues. The Kimbers I had with them weren't very good.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic

It is not even remotely "dangerous". It doesn't happen easily if your gun's thumb safety is correctly configured. If you hear the "clunk", check your gun. But, it won't "go off" in the holster. The trigger still needs to be pulled.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
It is not even remotely "dangerous". It doesn't happen easily if your gun's thumb safety is correctly configured. If you hear the "clunk", check your gun. But, it won't "go off" in the holster. The trigger still needs to be pulled.
The grip safety should also prevent accidental firing.

Latest posts